Falkirk v St Mirren

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The revisionism of Lavety wasting his career by taking drugs. He was 18/19 when that happened, and got his move to the Premier League after that.

Lavety retired aged 30, Loy is 29. Feel free compare their records.

Loy got to play for Falkirk. Your go.

26 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The revisionism of Lavety wasting his career by taking drugs. He was 18/19 when that happened, and got his move to the Premier League after that.

The roundabout incident where he was bare chested waving a belt and shouting at anyone suggests it wasnt just an 18/19 yr old incident.

Loy has never been played as a striker for a large spell of his career and still is only 20 goals or so behind Lavety as far as the goals are concerned and correct me if I am wrong, many of fellow St Mirren fans suggested that Loy was a major part that kept your lot from a trip to the seaside leagues.

The pair of them have pretty similar careers inside football, considered not good enough for the top league but done jobs lower down, then there is their worlds outside football, in Lavety's case will never go away

The roundabout incident where he was bare chested waving a belt and shouting at anyone suggests it wasnt just an 18/19 yr old incident.

Loy has never been played as a striker for a large spell of his career and still is only 20 goals or so behind Lavety as far as the goals are concerned and correct me if I am wrong, many of fellow St Mirren fans suggested that Loy was a major part that kept your lot from a trip to the seaside leagues.

The pair of them have pretty similar careers inside football, considered not good enough for the top league but done jobs lower down, then there is their worlds outside football, in Lavety's case will never go away

Pretty sure that happened after he retired. It was in Houston, not far from where I grew up. I'm not sure that counts as evidence of him wasting his career

Not that I'm excusing it, utterly stupid thing to do.

Also, you'll find no criticism from me for Rory Loy. He was great for us, and I was disappointed he didn't come back.

EDITED

Just looked it up, he was 28 and at Bath Uni at the time.

I would never criticise Loy as he was great to watch last season and the goal at Hibs was a beautiful moment. However, having been at Bath University Lavety is quite clearly more of an academic than Loy.

Football achievements aren’t everything, it is a short career after all.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I will the next time I'm passing the plod shop but I'm not sure that loy has one.

In my opinion Lavety was miles ahead of Loy as a footballer. He had his demons but had natural ability. Lavety was making his name for himself as a teenager while Loy was pretty rubbish until his early to mid twenties.
If Basher had his head screwed on he'd have really gone places, loy has his head screwed on but hasn't really gone anywhere.
While he gets a lot of credit from saints fans for keeping us up last season, other than the Hibs game, I can't remember any particular game where he scored the important goal or ripped the opposition a new one to keep us up.
His main attribute was being able to win fouls (learnt to dive at Falkirk) on the edge of the opposition box where wee Stevie Mallan would step up and put it home.
Imo.

52 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

In my opinion Lavety was miles ahead of Loy as a footballer. He had his demons but had natural ability. Lavety was making his name for himself as a teenager while Loy was pretty rubbish until his early to mid twenties.
If Basher had his head screwed on he'd have really gone places, loy has his head screwed on but hasn't really gone anywhere.
While he gets a lot of credit from saints fans for keeping us up last season, other than the Hibs game, I can't remember any particular game where he scored the important goal or ripped the opposition a new one to keep us up.
His main attribute was being able to win fouls (learnt to dive at Falkirk) on the edge of the opposition box where wee Stevie Mallan would step up and put it home.
Imo.

I think Lavety was very talented. Had a great opportunity when he moved to Edinburgh to change things for him.

Sadly it never worked out for him. He won't be the last to get caught up in the life he chose.

Imo.

I think Lavety was very talented. Had a great opportunity when he moved to Edinburgh to change things for him.
Sadly it never worked out for him. He won't be the last to get caught up in the life he chose.

As much as that is my opinion and I agree with what you said I wouldn't be brave enough to tell him that next time in see him sitting behind me at the football (which is every week)...he's a big guy.

Though I should follow that up with any time I've met him he's been very humble and happy to talk saints. Also he's not taken advantage of my fanboy offer of free drinks.

2 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

As much as that is my opinion and I agree with what you said I wouldn't be brave enough to tell him that next time in see him sitting behind me at the football (which is every week)...he's a big guy.

Though I should follow that up with any time I've met him he's been very humble and happy to talk saints. Also he's not taken advantage of my fanboy offer of free drinks.

He was always solid looking even as a teenager. Made some bad lifestyle choices. Most of us have.

Good that he still goes to see his local team.

Forgetting also how competitive and finances etc back when Lavety played it is pish easy these days and standard far poorer than what it was.

I'll be honest I'm not one to get caught up in the "it's not as good as it used to be" pish that boo-boy older generations spout.

Plus I'm not really sure what your point is.

3 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

I'll be honest I'm not one to get caught up in the "it's not as good as it used to be" pish that boo-boy older generations spout.

Plus I'm not really sure what your point is.

I think he's trying to say back in the day Lavetys lifestyle choices were ok ? Maybe I am wrong tho.

I am with you mate. I don't get that point either.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I really want Lee Miller to score/win a penalty on Saturday. Shull is at his best when Lee Miller has upset him.

With his teeth would be splendid thank you, div to shut the site down for a few days. 

2 hours ago, keithgy said:

Been told that O'Hara has been dropped for Austin and Craigan is coming in for Tiawo.

Exactly what I was thinking and to be honest wanted if sibbs can play

Thomson

muirhead.    Ballatoni  grant   McGhee 

harris.            McKee craigen.     Sibbald

Austin hippo

on paper that's a decent line up. Obviously miss TT but who wouldn't. 

Attending a wedding so I wont get a chance to watch this. Just hope the Paisley hoarde enjoy what, for many of them, will be their first visit to Scotland's cultural heartland.
I imagine they'll be awstruck by The Kelpies & our massive main stand. It really is magnificent, I believe it's the biggest in the division.

Size isn't everything. Didn't your girlfriend tell you that?

Archived