Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v St Mirren Scottish Cup 3rd Round

shull

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Im hearing about the venue only having space for 1000,  will it be moved to a bigger stadium ?

Don't really see where they could move it to on the Saturday as the obvious choice of Ainslie Park will be getting used by Spartans. Civil Service Strollers are at home as are Whitehill. Only other bigger ground in the area would be Preston Athletic who don't seem to be down for a game that day.

I would say the biggest issue with Saughton Enclosure would be lack of toilets which they would have to bring in. Personally from a "romance of the cup" view I hope they keep it at Saughton the pitch will be a great leveller.

If they only get 1000 in they only get 1000 in.

I suspect that 1,000 figure may be old and/or inaccurate, anyway. It appears in the old Scottish League Review publication which seemed to assign every non-member either 500 or 1,000.

Saughton Enclosure has deep grass banks all the way around which many thousands could watch from (and presumably did in decades gone by at local cup finals).

1428480929_TyneCastle_Saughton%20Enclosu     WP12-10193-20151104113754.jpeg

lthv03.png

lthv10.png

If it really is limited to 1,000 it's presumably due to entrance/exits etc. As noted they'd need to bring in some portaloos and a burger van or suchlike for a big crowd.

From the "romance of the cup" perspective I'd love to see it played at Saughton, which would also be more of a leveller than Spartans on a Friday evening or similar.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I suspect that 1,000 figure may be old and/or inaccurate, anyway. It appears in the old Scottish League Review publication which seemed to assign every non-member either 500 or 1,000.

Saughton Enclosure has deep grass banks all the way around which many thousands could watch from (and presumably did in decades gone by at local cup finals).

lthv03.png

lthv10.png

If it really is limited to 1,000 it's presumably due to entrance/exits etc. As noted they'd need to bring in some portaloos and a burger van or suchlike for a big crowd.

From the "romance of the cup" perspective I'd love to see it played at Saughton, which would also be more of a leveller than Spartans on a Friday evening or similar.

Aye back in the day when the country wasn't so  H&S mad you probably would have been able to chuck in a fair few folk:lol: I would imagine the capacity will be down to them wanting to limited the number of people standing on the grass and the entrance/exits which will be a big factor.

A couple of folk I know have been at previous Scottish Cup games there and they have catering vans in but for the St Mirren game they would need to get portaloo's in.

7 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

What aboot playing the game at Tynecastle?  

Bonnyrigg Rose played their tie with Hibs there.

It would cost a fortune to hire that justified with the crowd Bonnrigg got for playing Hibs. Lothian would never attract a viable crowd against St Mirren. And as HJ points out Hearts are at home the next day.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

lthv03.png

lthv10.png

I can see both sides, lthv prefer passing from back and attacking so spartans Park is ideal. However Saughton with its non covered terracing, boggy Park, horrendous facilities, pouring rain and usual windy as f**k, not a chance St mirren boys will be up for it and the lthv players are used to Saughton and its unusual bumps.  Could be a day to remember :D

10 hours ago, rigano said:

I can see both sides, lthv prefer passing from back and attacking so spartans Park is ideal. However Saughton with its non covered terracing, boggy Park, horrendous facilities, pouring rain and usual windy as f**k, not a chance St mirren boys will be up for it and the lthv players are used to Saughton and its unusual bumps.  Could be a day to remember :D

:lol: 

Unless they intend to move it I don't suppose there will be any need for hints. According to a poster on their thread in the EOSL sub-forum they're planning to play it at Saughton Enclosure.

I'd like to see that happen, too: both as it's not good to see ever-more ties being relocated - and as the rudimentary surroundings and notorious pitch could act as a leveller.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously?

It's not a "public park".

It's an enclosed athletics ground with deep grass banks all the way around. It could - and in days gone by has - accommodated numerous thousands.

If capacity has been set at 1,200 or 1,500 that equates to just 3-4 people per metre of railing.

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:23, HibeeJibee said:

lthv03.png

lthv10.png

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seriously?

It's an enclosed athletics ground with deep grass banks all the way around. It could - and in days gone by has - accommodated numerous thousands.

If capacity has been set at 1,200 or 1,500 that equates to just 3-4 people per metre of railing.

I think what hibee is trying to say is, if you  keep your elbows in and if you’re a short arse you get in early, you’ll be fine. Ahhhh the romance of the cup :wub: Oh, and you’ll probably need 3 goals to win 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seriously?

Fair enough the pics that I had been looking at on twitter were totally different.

Looks as if there will indeed be plenty of room for the traveling support.

Archived