Metallica @ The Hydro

IainMorton

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:53, Al B said:

VIP tix for this guy tomorrow so nae security worries for me. :thumsup2

Were you in the wee VIP bar before the show? I didn't know we were VIP until I picked up our tickets before the gig - they'd been arranged via my sister who is mates with someone at  the management company and even she didn't know. Nice wee bonus to share a free bar with about 10 other folk instead of having to brave the queues (and prices) at the concourse bars!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enjoyed that on the whole, disappointed with some of the set though. Was hoping for Leper Messiah, Blackened/Battery, Fade and creeping death. Ride the lightning is my favourite album aswell so to only have one song off it was a shame.  No a fan of Harvester and Sanitarium in comparison. 
Liked the Hair of the dog section with Kirk and Rob. Sounded like half the fans didn't get it though. Liked most of the new stuff, moth into flame drone show was smart but gotta feel for the fan who got one right in the puss. ha
£96 tho is insane especially as we were up in the gods. 

Tickets for up in the Gods were only £56 mate...?

Superb night.

We were up in the stratosphere somewhere and it was my wife's first time seeing Metallica, she reckoned it was second only to Prodigy at an early TITP on her all time list, which is high praise indeed from her, believe me. Was my 6th time seeing them I reckon. As good as any other time, and better than most.

Harvester was amazing.

The new stuff was all good I thought except Confusion which is turgid on record and worse live. The Rob/Kirk thing was embarrassingly bad! Those were the only downsides I could think of regarding the band, except maybe I thought the bass sound was overwhelming and unclear, especially on faster numbers? Maybe just where we were.

It was my first ever time watching a metal gig while seated, and while I was bopping around, air drumming/guitaring and bellowing myself hoarse, 90% of the people around us were just sitting there stoney faced all night. I genuinely could not believe it. They were as well bringing their knitting. Who cares though, buzzing, and I might well order the CD/DVD from Metstore when available.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was my first ever time watching a metal gig while seated, and while I was bopping around, air drumming/guitaring and bellowing myself hoarse, 90% of the people around us were just sitting there stoney faced all night. I genuinely could not believe it. They were as well bringing their knitting.

I was on the floor facing the seated area and I remember looking up during Puppets and while there were loads of people standing up enjoying themselves, some were just sitting there genuinely looking bored!!!

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I might well order the CD/DVD from Metstore when available.

Do they all become available? I looked earlier and only London and tomorrow's Manchester were on there!

On a wee side note - we intended getting a poster but decided to wait until the end without realising that they put them aside for you if you bought them beforehand - by then they were sold out.  How much were they ? There are some London ones selling online for over £100!

37 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Tickets for up in the Gods were only £56 mate...?

Well £85 with booking added on. We were second back row but at the side which i think now is actually only 2nd tier. If id known third tier was cheaper i'd have went for that

Well £85 with booking added on. We were second back row but at the side which i think now is actually only 2nd tier. If id known third tier was cheaper i'd have went for that

Was in the third tier, but you can see from the pictures I posted how not actually far away we were, third row from the very back and the sound was fantastic.

I was on the floor facing the seated area and I remember looking up during Puppets and while there were loads of people standing up enjoying themselves, some were just sitting there genuinely looking bored!!!

I noticed this as well. In the section immediately surrounding where we were sat, everyone was having a few beers, singing along and having a riot, but in the section adjacent by f**k did they look glum! Cheer up, enjoy yourselves or GTF!

Not long checked the damage to the bank account, spent £100 on merch. Yikes.

No merch, but £60-odd on drinks!

ETA: Was fine this morning but the after effects are kicking in now something awful. Seems more like I spent £100+ on drink cos now I feel fucking awful!

No merch, but £60-odd on drinks!

ETA: Was fine this morning but the after effects are kicking in now something awful. Seems more like I spent £100+ on drink cos now I feel fucking awful!

You and me both. Woke up a little bit achey but nothing major but it’s catching up with me now. Was in Burger King for about 9:30 this morning gorging on an XL bacon double cheeseburger meal. Managed to save quite a bit on booze as we took drink to have in the hotel so only really bought one drink at the venue.

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Do they all become available? I looked earlier and only London and tomorrow's Manchester were on there!

On a wee side note - we intended getting a poster but decided to wait until the end without realising that they put them aside for you if you bought them beforehand - by then they were sold out.  How much were they ? There are some London ones selling online for over £100!

I followed the link from the facebook page to the gig page on their site, and it said it was forthcoming, a double CD issue.

I followed the link from the facebook page to the gig page on their site, and it said it was forthcoming, a double CD issue.

I think they’ve done this for a while, where most live gigs become available on CD or download from their website.

I think Pearl Jam were one of the first innovators of this kind of thing about 15 years ago, when they released all the ‘live bootlegs’ from the gigs on the Binaural tour.

It was my first ever time watching a metal gig while seated, and while I was bopping around, air drumming/guitaring and bellowing myself hoarse, 90% of the people around us were just sitting there stoney faced all night. I genuinely could not believe it. They were as well bringing their knitting. Who cares though, buzzing, and I might well order the CD/DVD from Metstore when available.

We considered trying to sneak/blag/force our way into the standing section but the stewards down there seemed pretty on the ball. Scanning tickets and issuing stamps on the way in, so decided not to bother.

View from seating was good, although as you say people round about were quite passive. Anybody that did stand up or attempt to dance about were quickly pestered to sit down by stewards too. Some fat bint in front of us spent most of the gig complaining to stewards about people in front of her ‘blocking her view’. It seemed far less of an issue than she was making it. Some boy even got huckled out at one point. Would I f**k be moving for some jobsworth usher.

I was at this gig. My seat was in the last row at the back. From where I was sitting, the sound was absolutely terrible, worse than I've heard at any gig I've been to. The drums and bass drowned out the lead guitar and vocals. Really disappointing.

I was down in Manchester to see them and they were fantastic.  It was the first time I'd seen them since Glasgow Green in 2004. 

22829642_1973686709308448_13691236771571

The songs from Hardwired were good live apart from ManUNkind.  You could feel and see a lull in the crowd during that song.  Hopefully that isn't a song that becomes a regular in the set lists. 

Archived