Not having any social media

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went on Facebook around 10 years ago as the majority of internet competitions required a FB account. I'm not sure it's a good thing. It and P&B are the first things I check in the morning.

I'm actually not sure the Internet is that good a thing. We had a powercut the other night and I thought I'll just check the phone and call Scottish Power. Nope. Phone book? Whit? No idea where that is or even if we have one. If the Internet goes I'm completely fucked.

I have WhatsApp and Instagram too. Toyed with getting Twitter, but I feel more inclined to wean myself off social media than get another account.

Just go for it, Twitter and Facebook are totally different and if you follow people whose content interest you then you won’t be constantly scrolling through shite. You can make your twitter anonymous and say what you want as well so it will add something extra to your time on social media.

I've learnt plenty from Twitter. If you follow the right folk it's great for all sorts of current affairs and a great source for good articles and long reads. At the same time it's destroyed my capacity to write anything substantial.

FB is useful for me to keep up with folks back home, post propaganda about the Famous and get updates from family here. I have no other social media (apart from a couple of football for a), I don't possess a "smart" phone so I have no "apps", "tinder" or such cr@p.

I feel no need of anything more than a phone that makes calls and texts, if I need to be online I'm at work or home where there are computers!

Facebook used to be decent when it was just good old honest working class status updates. People were trying to be funny, you had to make an effort. Now my feed is made up 95% of videos that some c**t has liked. Videos everywhere. It’s just not the same anymore #AMF

Do people still use WhatsApp?  Only time I get a message from it is from my parents that don’t realise there’s a thing on their iPad I got them at Christmas called messenger.  It’s great for playing mahjong though.

Facebook used to be decent when it was just good old honest working class status updates. People were trying to be funny, you had to make an effort. Now my feed is made up 95% of videos that some c**t has liked. Videos everywhere. It’s just not the same anymore #AMF

LADbible, new mothers and the middle aged ruined Facebook. Twitter is far, far better.

LADbible, new mothers and the middle aged ruined Facebook. Twitter is far, far better.

I spent the other night removing people from my feed after a Full time mummy decided to share the contents of her child's nappy asking if the poop looked healthy.

Just go for it, Twitter and Facebook are totally different and if you follow people whose content interest you then you won’t be constantly scrolling through shite. You can make your twitter anonymous and say what you want as well so it will add something extra to your time on social media.

Whenever someone on here posts a link to Twitter it puts me off.

I'm slowly coming round to the idea that having constant engagement with social media is not a good thing.

Whenever someone on here posts a link to Twitter it puts me off.

I'm slowly coming round to the idea that having constant engagement with social media is not a good thing.

It’s definitely not a good thing and is only getting worse. Would still give Twitter a try though and get rid of Facebook.

As J_stewart says the lad bible stuff on Facebook and similar pages are awful, you don’t even need to follow them to get their shite on your feed all it takes is from some of your friends to like these pages and there they are.

Do people still use WhatsApp?  Only time I get a message from it is from my parents that don’t realise there’s a thing on their iPad I got them at Christmas called messenger.  It’s great for playing mahjong though.

Absolutely. I use it for group chats and messaging mates who are abroad (for free).
[quote post=11705491"
timestamp="1508395489" name="throbber" userid="40259]

It’s definitely not a good thing and is only getting worse. Would still give Twitter a try though and get rid of Facebook.

As J_stewart says the lad bible stuff on Facebook and similar pages are awful, you don’t even need to follow them to get their shite on your feed all it takes is from some of your friends to like these pages and there they are.
Twitter is similar in a way, especially now with the likes appearing, in that you get stuff on your newsfeed you haven’t subscribed to. However, it tends to be decent stuff rather than the absolute drivel on Facebook.

Its no where near as bad Twitter though. I only use Facebook to check up if any of my friends/family are pregnant, dead or engaged but usually get lost in a sea of absolute drivel, seeing quite a lot of nutmeg challenges which are starting to annoy me as it could very easily trip a member of public up if it goes slightly wrong. Not sure who finds that sort of stuff funny.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Its no where near as bad Twitter though. I only use Facebook to check up if any of my friends/family are pregnant, dead or engaged but usually get lost in a sea of absolute drivel, seeing quite a lot of nutmeg challenges which are starting to annoy me as it could very easily trip a member of public up if it goes slightly wrong. Not sure who finds that sort of stuff funny.

The sort of moron that still watches Soccer AM. Best avoided at all costs.

5 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The sort of moron that still watches Soccer AM. Best avoided at all costs.

I haven't watched Soccer AM since Tim Lovejoy left like most people i think! Lad bible actively encourages people to endorse moronic behaviour but The Sesh bible is the worst one for me because of the way it shamelessly glamourises binge drinking for our younger generations. I feel genuinely concerned reading over it as a 31 year old. 

I'd equate social media to the "old fashioned" media. Facebook is like a cross between the Sunday Post and Daily Star but instead of having a letters page you have a live feed to the letters. P&B holds up well due to the combative edge and wide variety of contributors. Utter bollocks is shouted down and not tolerated, amusing or interesting content is recognised. Feels like a good use of the internet. 

I'd equate social media to the "old fashioned" media. Facebook is like a cross between the Sunday Post and Daily Star but instead of having a letters page you have a live feed to the letters. P&B holds up well due to the combative edge and wide variety of contributors. Utter bollocks is shouted down and not tolerated, amusing or interesting content is recognised. Feels like a good use of the internet. 

It helps it’s anonymous as well then. No doubt if folk were anonymous on Facebook they’d shout down the shite as well.

Archived