Scotland v Netherlands squad/lineup

Chimter-boys

I was at the game and was embarrassed as a local to hear a Scotland Player booed on their debut...wish I could say I am shocked but I am not, just sums up this City in general. Sad fact is most these fans booing him would not have the balls to say anything to his face,  mob mentality rules as usual. I find it worrying and scary that no matter what there is an element to the Aberdeen support that seems to put an obscene level of unhealthy obsession into hating Rangers...I see it amongst even people I know personally, its quite un-nerving at times because In reality this is just a game.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was discussing this with a *** pal the other day. We were trying to figure out why Aberdeen fans hate Rangers to the degree they do. We all hate them to a degree (verminous fans, bigotry, triumphalism, the fact that their fans are vermin etc) but Dons fans seem to hate them as much, or even more than Celtic fans. There's the obvious political and religious dimension with Celtic fans, whose historical (and current, if we're honest) attachment to Irish Catholicism pits them in opposition to a club aligning itself with establishment protestantism, but Aberdeen fans' identity is bound to their city and club.

Is it because of the isolation and a bit of an inferiority complex towards the Central Belt? Was the hatred of Rangers quite so strong before Ferguson came up and exacerbated it with his talk of "west coast bias"?

I'm not actually from here (East Kilbride/Glasgow boy) so I'm asking in earnest.

There's something added with the Jack thing. I've noticed a lot of folk saying about his debut being in his home city, but that's part of what makes Jack's decision to sign with Rangers worse. He's from Aberdeen. He knows what Aberdonians think of the ****, yet he chose to sign for them. I've heard folk mentioning that he was a Rangers fan as a kid, I've no idea if that is the case, but if so then he represents every *** that those of us from the north east grew up knowing. People from our town but supporting them over our local team.

I think that might be it. I was thinking about why Rangers aren't as loathed in Dundee, but in Dundee (as in Edinburgh) there are two teams, so the hatred is diluted by the inter-city rivalry. 

Aberdeen is a one team town, and Aberdonians are seriously fuckin proud of being from Aberdeen, so I can imagine it would be seen as apostasy to support any other team, let alone one from 200 odd miles away.

To get back on topic, I reckon Jack was pretty comfortable at RB and 100% would have him in again there.

11 hours ago, troopio said:

I was at the game and was embarrassed as a local to hear a Scotland Player booed on their debut...wish I could say I am shocked but I am not, just sums up this City in general. Sad fact is most these fans booing him would not have the balls to say anything to his face,  mob mentality rules as usual. I find it worrying and scary that no matter what there is an element to the Aberdeen support that seems to put an obscene level of unhealthy obsession into hating Rangers...I see it amongst even people I know personally, its quite un-nerving at times because In reality this is just a game.

Fat Cunt

I think that might be it. I was thinking about why Rangers aren't as loathed in Dundee, but in Dundee (as in Edinburgh) there are two teams, so the hatred is diluted by the inter-city rivalry. 
Aberdeen is a one team town, and Aberdonians are seriously fuckin proud of being from Aberdeen, so I can imagine it would be seen as apostasy to support any other team, let alone one from 200 odd miles away.
To get back on topic, I reckon Jack was pretty comfortable at RB and 100% would have him in again there.

Yeah I think there might be an element of that. With no rival teams in Aberdeen and very few in the surrounding areas (and none who have ever spent any time in the same league as Aberdeen to develop a rivalry) I think there is a unity, and the team really does represent the city and area.

On a personal level it's something that I really felt during the Scottish cup final, like I was part of a collective force of Aberdonians. No religious stuff, no political stuff, just supporting Aberdeen's team. I used to absolutely hate having old firm fans from the north east at school. It was like they were against us and it felt as though they were rejecting what it was to be Aberdonian in favour of our rivals.

I can't speak for other Dons fans or Aberdonians as belonging and pride mean different things to everyone, but for me I'm feicely proud to be from Aberdeen. I've not even lived in Aberdeen for almost a decade now but without hesitation when someone asks where I'm from I still say Aberdeen.

Jack, to me, represents the opposite of that. Seeing him in a *** top for the first time looked repulsive and reminded me of every *** from the north east I knew growing up. It might not be big or clever to boo him, but if I was there I know I would have.

Archived