Mark Reynolds

Kieran Tierney

James Forrest

John McGinn

Tom Cairney

Craig Conway

Leigh Griffiths

Kenny Miller

That team, as horrible as it is, would hammer Craig's team.  

I'm all for introducing younger players, but not those particular younger players.

It would be funny if some players, especially Anya and Phillips, knock back their call ups because they refuse to play under Malky.
That might be the only way that the SFA gets the message.

That would sent the Tartan Army into apoplexy.

4 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

If I was Scotland manager, I’d look to do the following: if Brown does retire, and Paterson comes on as he needs to at Cardiff, then I would like to see a team approaching the following: Marshall; Paterson, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson; Armstrong, McGinn; Forrest, McGregor, Fraser; Griffiths.

Young, high energy, attacking, positive and hungry.

I would want the likes of Cummings, Lindsay, Oli Burke, Souttar, Shinnie, Bridcutt, Christie,McLean, Jack etc round the squad, Matt Phillips and Chris Martin have plenty to offer as does Anya, McArthur and Snodgrass. Captaincy wise, Kieran Tierney or Liam Cooper.

Liam Cooper has 0 caps and there are plenty of Leeds fans who are still unsure of him, yet you want to consider him for captain?

Liam Cooper has 0 caps and there are plenty of Leeds fans who are still unsure of him, yet you want to consider him for captain?

Yes I would consider him. We've a year to assess these things and see so he would be considered. Whether he gets it is entirely different but I wouldn't rule anyone out. We haven't exactly been blessed with many on pitch leaders in the last 20 years - when the going gets tough, we tend to crumble.

We shouldn't be going down the shitey route of believing that the Captain is some kind of talisman like the English do.  It's ceased to become too important as a role, so just give it to the most experienced player who is starting that game.   We shouldn't be needing to look to one person in particular to lift us, it should be across the whole team.

We shouldn't be going down the shitey route of believing that the Captain is some kind of talisman like the English do.  It's ceased to become too important as a role, so just give it to the most experienced player who is starting that game.   We shouldn't be needing to look to one person in particular to lift us, it should be across the whole team.

That's not the way how life works though, there's loads of different kinds of characters in teams. I think we would've fared better in Slovenia with Brown in the team making sure everybody stayed at it and focused.

Captain is still a massive role for me. Somebody to give the team a lift when it's not going well. Ideally you'd want it to be across the whole team but everyone needs someone to look up to and to be setting an example.

Listened to Barry Fergusons open goal interview, proper captain him, said that when the team was flat he would always go and do something. Even if it was a bad tackle or challenge to get the crowds back up and add a bit of spice into the game.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That's not the way how life works though, there's loads of different kinds of characters in teams. I think we would've fared better in Slovenia with Brown in the team making sure everybody stayed at it and focused.

Captain is still a massive role for me. Somebody to give the team a lift when it's not going well. Ideally you'd want it to be across the whole team but everyone needs someone to look up to and to be setting an example.

Listened to Barry Fergusons open goal interview, proper captain him, said that when the team was flat he would always go and do something. Even if it was a bad tackle or challenge to get the crowds back up and add a bit of spice into the game.

Fair enough, but I disagree.  To me that seems like you're constantly looking to a particular person when something happens.  "It's alright, Broony/Barry will sort it".  I never want any of our players thinking that.  You actually kind of prove the point by pointing out how listless we looked without Brown there in the team - if we put this emphasis on one player, then what happens when he isn't available?  We shouldn't be all at sea just because this guy we've put as captain isn't available.  I know Brown isn't like that because he's captain, and it's just the type of player he is, but still.

48 minutes ago, forameus said:

From what I understand, England doesn't have an allocated captain.  The armband is just given to one particular player in any given lineup.  I think that's a sensible way of going about things.  Scotland should certainly get back to letting players captain the side on their 50th cap.  Being captain should be purely symbolic.  

Just now, Savage Henry said:

From what I understand, England doesn't have an allocated captain.  The armband is just given to one particular player in any given lineup.  I think that's a sensible way of going about things.  Scotland should certainly get back to letting players captain the side on their 50th cap.  Being captain should be purely symbolic.  

You sure?  They've recently been mumping on about whether Kane should be it, along with associated articles about how great a decision it was.  Previously it was Rooney, around when he was pretty much unpickable.  John Terry, Ferdinand...etc etc.  All huge stories around the England captain.  I don't think they just give it to one player.

Gareth Southgate Says Something But Nobody's Really Listening Because He's Quite Dull But It's Relevant To The Discussion At Hand So Here's A Link

29 minutes ago, forameus said:

You sure?  They've recently been mumping on about whether Kane should be it, along with associated articles about how great a decision it was.  Previously it was Rooney, around when he was pretty much unpickable.  John Terry, Ferdinand...etc etc.  All huge stories around the England captain.  I don't think they just give it to one player.

ETA Not sure what happened with the formatting there, but I can't be arsed changing it.  Anyway, Southgate says he doesn't really care about who the captain is.  I thought he had been more explicit about it and said a captain only keeps the job for two games, but I can't find that anywhere.  Possibly I imagined it.  Anyway, I think he's got the right attitude, even if the fans/red tops don't.

Fair enough, but I disagree.  To me that seems like you're constantly looking to a particular person when something happens.  "It's alright, Broony/Barry will sort it".  I never want any of our players thinking that.  You actually kind of prove the point by pointing out how listless we looked without Brown there in the team - if we put this emphasis on one player, then what happens when he isn't available?  We shouldn't be all at sea just because this guy we've put as captain isn't available.  I know Brown isn't like that because he's captain, and it's just the type of player he is, but still.

Too idealistic. If Browns missing we don't really seem to have anyone else like him which is why he's so important, that's the main thing he brings to the team, his character.

If he didn't have that attitude or it was based purely on footballing ability he probably wouldn't play.

ETA: Kieran Tierney for me will be able to follow in his footsteps soon though I think. Looks cut out for it.

Archived