Scotland v Netherlands squad/lineup

Chimter-boys

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cilitbang said:

I'm convinced Malky forgot he could make more than 3 subs..

Dutch only made two subs as well. Very unusual for a friendly.

Is it possible that they agreed beforehand to keep subs at three or less?

I didn' see the game but if Tierney can play centre half that' a huge bonus for the long term. This is a position where scotland have had to make do and had a teal lack of quality so if nothing else it was very worth while.

In other news John McGinn looks like a young Peter Sutcliffe.

I did enjoy the quote BBC brought of Mackay after the game

"I saw a group who were technically competent, athletic," Mackay said.

"More importantly, I'm loving the bravery of the players, to go and handle the ball. That's where we will beat mid-level European teams, with players like that."

So he claims that's where we'll beat mid-level European teams...after being beaten by what is now emphatically a mid-level European team.

MacKay failed in his interview last night. Even if before hand Regan and Malky had talked to rule him out. What made it worse was his slobbering over the top post match interview. I thought his flowery use and “Trump” like hyperbolic adjectives about the teams performance was cringe worthy.

Whilst competent none of the players where ‘immense’ or ‘phenomenal’. What game was he watching? That Dutch side was bang average and an affront to all things total football.

Phillips up front? Gave Cummings 5 minutes?

Played Berra and then Mulgrew?

Only used 3 subs and left several players on bench like Cooper and Shinnie who clearly deserved a half to see what they can do for us.

MacKay should stick to the job he’s doing but I think his interview showed us all he is desperately wanting away from the post. When listened to carefully It was a self-absorbed, cry for help in what are interviews to media he rarely gets anymore. He was shouting from roof tops that he wants another club job.

For me the SFA need to move to get McInnes and tell Rangers to back off. It’s the nation and Derek is my pick to come in and build on this young talented bunch of lads. But he won’t. He’ll let Rangers muscle in and try to get him first. Not sure now who should be manager but bright points of Tierney, McGinn, McGregor coming on and giving a few lads their first cap was encouraging.

I suppose there is no rush but MacKay failed and for me isn’t the guy for the job. Plus if I was Dutch I’d be seething. They don’t have the players they used too. What a crap team they are.

I did enjoy the quote BBC brought of Mackay after the game

"I saw a group who were technically competent, athletic," Mackay said.

"More importantly, I'm loving the bravery of the players, to go and handle the ball. That's where we will beat mid-level European teams, with players like that."

So he claims that's where we'll beat mid-level European teams...after being beaten by what is now emphatically a mid-level European team.

To be fair, the Netherlands are in League A of the Nations League as one of the best 12 in Europe so probably can't yet be described as a mid-level European team as they would be in Leagues B and C. Like us. They have lost a few big names and may well get worse of course but the way some folk have been talking you'd think it was the Faroes or Lithuania we were playing.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What do you think Project Brave is?

More or less it's a reshuffle of the Wotte/Henry McLeish system, isn't it? I know there is bad feeling about certain aspects of it - particularly the exclusivity thing, but the intent is hard to argue with - to create better players for Scottish football.

More or less it's a reshuffle of the Wotte/Henry McLeish system, isn't it? I know there is bad feeling about certain aspects of it - particularly the exclusivity thing, but the intent is hard to argue with - to create better players for Scottish football.

It's pretty easy to argue with, actually. The intent is to get the better players at the bigger club, not to create better players

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He's a xenophobic, bigoted arsehole. I wouldn't waste your time.

How dare you say that. Ive forgotten more about football than a Dumbarton supporter ( really ?) could ever know.

Incidentally "our people" means Scots, you know, people to play for Scotland.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's pretty easy to argue with, actually. The intent is to get the better players at the bigger club, not to create better players

So you don't think anyone at all is interested in creating better players and it's all just a power-grab by the big clubs to divert the most polished turds we have now towards them?

Couldn't watch the game live last night so watched the recording today. It was ok some things I didn't get if this game was more about the future why did Jason Cummings only get a few minutes and Callum Patterson didnt even get a sniff? Sorry but Matt Phillips ain't an international footballer, where I reside there are plenty of Baggies fans and if I mention that Matt Phillips will lead the line the replies are 'really' and I'm given a wry smile. I think it was part of a power point presentation for the Malky chap even though he apparently won't be getting the job.

So you don't think anyone at all is interested in creating better players and it's all just a power-grab by the big clubs to divert the most polished turds we have now towards them?

That's exactly what it is. You just have to look at the way they've changed the entry requirements every time someone outwith the "big five" manages to match up

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

That's exactly what it is. It will also see us produce far fewer players regardless of their quality.

Archived