Scotland v Netherlands squad/lineup

Chimter-boys

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, fair enough including Hanlon, to give him some experience, but Lindsay should be in there. He was the best CB in the league last year (ok, he was the only CB in the team of the year) and seems to be, from what I've seen of him in highlights, pushing on at Barnsley. 

No other huge complaints. I just hope, as it seems do all Scotland fans (or the overwhelming majority), that this is McKay's only game in the dugout.

Not surprised by the announcement as I wasn’t expecting anything approaching a first choice squad. I, like many others, have moaned previously about Scotland not utilising friendly dates, and not trying out different players in them, so I’m not going to get too bogged down picking apart the squad man by man.

Whilst I don’t agree with all of the selections, it would have been very easy for the SFA to have skipped this international date with Strachan having just left. Equally, it would have been easy (probably even tempting) for Malky Mackay to select the strongest squad possible and give himself the best chance of a positive result, enhancing his chances of getting the job permanently.

Though it’s too early to say if they’re going to make better use of friendly dates on a regular basis, this does at least suggest that might be the plan.

25 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Not surprised by the announcement as I wasn’t expecting anything approaching a first choice squad. I, like many others, have moaned previously about Scotland not utilising friendly dates, and not trying out different players in them, so I’m not going to get too bogged down picking apart the squad man by man.

Whilst I don’t agree with all of the selections, it would have been very easy for the SFA to have skipped this international date with Strachan having just left. Equally, it would have been easy (probably even tempting) for Malky Mackay to select the strongest squad possible and give himself the best chance of a positive result, enhancing his chances of getting the job permanently.

Though it’s too early to say if they’re going to make better use of friendly dates on a regular basis, this does at least suggest that might be the plan.

Then why don't they play somebody shite (preferably ranked above Scotland), so they can actually win, rather than get thrashed and lose even more ranking points?   I think you could well be right, but your thinking eliminates the possibility that Mackay thinks that's the best available squad.

I'm disappointed that Ritchie has been overlooked. I like him as a player. Same goes for Tom Cairney.

Also think it's harsh on Martin who has been improving and gives us a different option to our other strikers.

Anya is unfortunate to be left out however did we really expect anything else from Mackay ?

And picking Hull's reserve goalie over their 1st choice goalie is really poor management from Mackay.

On a plus note pleased to see Cummings called up. Assume Mackay has watched Forest and was not impressed with Barrie McKay.

Hopefully Cooper gets a start at the back too.

Good luck to Jack, McLean and Shinnie  however don't see any of them as good enough for this level.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Then why don't they play somebody shite (preferably ranked above Scotland), so they can actually win, rather than get thrashed and lose even more ranking points?   I think you could well be right, but your thinking eliminates the possibility that Mackay thinks that's the best available squad.

Personally, I'd rather we played someone good and lost ranking points than playing someone shite, gaining points but still not knowing whether half the new players called up are anywhere near good enough.

You can call Mackay a racist/idiot/poor manager but I don't believe for a second he thinks that's the strongest possible squad.

ETA: The Netherlands aren't that good at the moment either and I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a slightly experimental squad too.

50 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I'm disappointed that Ritchie has been overlooked. I like him as a player. Same goes for Tom Cairney.

Also think it's harsh on Martin who has been improving and gives us a different option to our other strikers.

Anya is unfortunate to be left out however did we really expect anything else from Mackay ?

And picking Hull's reserve goalie over their 1st choice goalie is really poor management from Mackay.

On a plus note pleased to see Cummings called up. Assume Mackay has watched Forest and was not impressed with Barrie McKay.

Hopefully Cooper gets a start at the back too.

Good luck to Jack, McLean and Shinnie  however don't see any of them as good enough for this level.

Ritchie was named in the last squad and played the full 90 for Newcastle in their last game before the break (a draw with Liverpool, I think). He then immediately pulled out of the squad with a mystery injury. First game after the break, he was miraculously fit again. It looks to me like he has made it known that he doesn't want to be picked, most likely because he hasn't been in the starting XI for the last year or so.

I'm fine with some of the usual suspects being left out to enable more fringe players to get a chance. Obviously we want to keep some regulars around so we're not going to have 11 players getting their first cap, but having a few older players who'd usually be on the bench like Martin, Morrison and Anya sitting one friendly out makes perfect sense and you'd assume those players have had the logic explained to them before the squad was announced. Even if they haven't, we're all hopeful that this will be Mackay's only game in charge so we shouldn't have to worry about players holding a grudge over being left out.

That said though, some of the selections are still strange. In isolation Jack and McLean being called up is fine,  but comparing to other fringe players them making it while Cairney doesn't is a strange one. You can say the same about Hanlon making it in while Lindsay doesn't, although at least you can say for certain that Hanlon is there because the manager feels he merits it rather than pandering,  as may be the case with Jack and McLean.

It's the ideal time to give Cooper, Fraser and McGregor a start, you'd think. We want the fringe players who are actually going to make squads regularly getting a few caps before the Nations League starts.

Not a strong squad but I don't mind trying out some new players, about time some Aberdeen players got a look in. Considering how ancient our CBs are getting I'm surprised Lindsay still isn't getting a chance as he's supposedly doing well for Barnsley. At least Hanlon will get a shot I suppose.

Plusses:
Christie (clearly a future first pick)
Cummings (an attempt to find a similar backup to griffiths)
Hanlon (left field choice but about time we tried out some new cbs)
Paterson (none of this "he's just back from injury and needs time to find his feet at his new club wa wa wa" - rb is a problem position and this gives us a chance to try solving it sooner rather than later)

Minuses:
No Lyndsay. (For the same reasons that Hanlon is a good call up)
Jack. (Just doesn't look like a player who'll bring anything tbh)

Would have thought Cairney would make this one as he's hardly in the 'we know what he can do' bracket.
Not at all arsed about Martin Morrison anya etc being left out. No point at all in playing those guys in a game like this - all will be rightly considered and most probably in the next squad anyway.

Team from that squad:

Gordon

Tierney  Cooper Mulgrew Robertson

Mcginn Armstrong

Christie    Macgregor    Fraser           

Griffiths

Archived