San Fran, L.A. and Vegas

Pride Of The Clyde

Going to do these places next year, don't need any advice for Vegas been many times but 1st time for the other 2 locations.  Going for 2 weeks any advice on how long to stay at each location, best areas to stay/ avoid? Personally don't fancy LA too much but there is 7 of us so don't imagine i will get much say on the matter, just want to see the touristy things and maybe Universal studios. Is LA as much of a sh1thole as people claim?

Some advice on P&B here and here already.

LA is indeed a shithole, still worth a drive and a look about but most of the touristy bits are pretty horrible. Universal is great if you like that sort of thing (if you can stretch to VIP passes then I would highly recommend it, the tour is amazing). 

We avoided LA but recently went to San Francisco, spent a weekend there staying in the Kipton Buchanan in Japan Town, good hotel that has free wine and saki from 5-6 in the lobby :)

We loved it, loads of decent bars and restaurants. Because of the tech boom and silicon valley SF is now the most expensive place in the USA to live, overtaking New York.

Do the open top bus tour (there a few companies, we used Big Bus, they have an app) this will give you a good idea of where everything is, it cost us $45 each for a 24 hour pass bought through the app, it's $50 to buy on the bus but you can hop on and off. Alcatraz was very interesting but absolutely mobbed when we went, go early and again book your tickets in advance as most trips were sold out think the tickets are about $35.

Walking is brutal in SF due to the Hills so use Uber to get around, cheaper than here, thousands of cars. the Castro area is interesting and avoid the Tenderloin area during the night unless you fancy being murdered by a crazy homeless person, go during the day if you want to see what it's like to be poor with untreated mental health issues in America, you won't believe it. China town is good for authentic Chinese food but loads of people were raving about the shopping, in reality it's 100's of shops all selling the same tat, you can haggle though, it's expected.

We will probably go back at some point.

San Francisco is amazing. Close run thing with Chicago for my favorite US city. Been to Vegas 3 times too and love the place. 

Thinking of doing Seattle and LA next summer with a couple of days in Vegas. Getting flights over from Hong Kong for a decent price. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not the best for help as I tend to do mainly touristy stuff, however a few tips after a week in San Francisco:

Try to get a muni pass for the transport. Costs $42 for a week (dunno how much for shorter). It's $7 for each cable car ride but muni covers that so it quickly saves money.

Depending what you want to do get a Go San Francisco Card. Includes most of the major attractions aside from Alcatraz (book that early). If you want to go on a boat trip and Big Bus it includes that as well as the AT&T Park tour and various other things: https://www.smartdestinations.com/san-francisco-attractions-and-tours/_d_Sfo-p1.html?pass=Sfo_Prod_Go

The De Young Museum has an observation tower at the top offering great views. It's an art museum and I'm not an arty person but it was included on the pass so no harm done. Also good views from the top of Coit Tower and the walk from Legion of Honor round Land's End to the Cliff House.

Delancey Street Restaurant was good for a meal. Think it's a charity that helps folk turn their lives around and they work in the restaurant. A three course meal for two folk was $60 dollars, which is pretty good (although neither of us drink): http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/enterrestaurant.php The hotel restaurant we had was quite reasonable for breakfast, which was a nice change. Can recommend the hotel too: http://www.chancellorhotel.com/san-francisco-ca-hotel-dining.php

Well if you don't mind seeing thousands of homeless people then you'll love San Francisco.

An incredible amount of homeless people there.

Really enjoyed going to Alcatraz it's a cracking place. You leave from Fisherman's wharf so if you are gonnae visit there too you may as well do the 2 in the same day.

If you're no that interested in seeing the golden gate bridge you can see it from Alcatraz so that was enough for me.

Although I liked San Francisco I felt I was there too long. Could easily have done it all in a weekend and been done with it.

It's massively populated with Irish bars too.

I just got back from San Francisco last week. Record temperatures of 30+ degrees in October which I wasn't expecting as it's usually pretty cool.

The homeless problem isn't exclusive to San Francisco. It's a west coast problem. Portland, LA and Seattle suffer from the same. It's kind of sad to see the number of mentally ill people out on the streets being completely ignored.

On 10/27/2017 at 21:37, Stu said:

Another recommendation for the Chancellor, stayed there when I visited, right in the middle of town and also the cable cars stop outside the hotel so really handy for getting over to Fisherman's Wharf and the likes.

For the Golden Gate, I hired a bike for the day and cycled over it to a small town a few kilometers north of the bridge and got the ferry back over, I'm not the most athletic (ahem) but it wasn't too strenuous, if you are a bit more adventurous you could cycle a bit further on and do the same from another town a bit further on.

Re Alcatraz, if you're going, get tickets for the first trip of the day, I did that and it wasn't too busy, but it was starting to get quite busy as further trips arrived.

• 1 year later...

Archived