Winter Sun

Ziggy

I want to go somewhere in January for a bit of a lazy break in the sun.

Last year I went to Thailand and Malaysia. It was brilliant but the travelling (Glasgow-Heathrow-KL-Phuket-KL-Heathrow-Glasgow) was a bit of a pain.

Anyone recommend any places with guaranteed sun that I can get direct flights from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Manchester?

I'm not interested in places like Dubai where there's a high risk of being jailed for f**k all.

9 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Last year I went to Thailand and Malaysia. It was brilliant but the travelling (Glasgow-Heathrow-KL-Phuket-KL-Heathrow-Glasgow) was a bit of a pain.

Anyone recommend any places with guaranteed sun that I can get direct flights from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Manchester?

I'm not interested in places like Dubai where there's a high risk of being jailed for f**k all.

Ruth the mooths cludgy, apparently the sun shines out her arse.

Malta/Cyprus or the Balerics if your not wishing to travel seems about your only options

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Malta/Cyprus or the Balerics if your not wishing to travel seems about your only options

Are those guaranteed sun though? Surely there must be longer haul but direct flights from one of those three airports.

I don't mind travelling far, I'd just prefer not to have to go through three airports on route.

30 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Are those guaranteed sun though? Surely there must be longer haul but direct flights from one of those three airports.

I don't mind travelling far, I'd just prefer not to have to go through three airports on route.

Winter sun will be fine in them 3 with the odd rainy day,but your options are limited unless its middle east/Caribbean/florida/mexico for direct flights from either of those airports

23 hours ago, Ziggy said:

First of all I applaud that sentiment.

You need to go further south than mainland Europe in my experience.  The Canaries is definitely your best bet.  My preference is Playa Blanca in Lanzarote but I'm sure others will have recommendations.

We're going there early January for the third year running.  Excellent weather. 

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

First of all I applaud that sentiment.

You need to go further south than mainland Europe in my experience.  The Canaries is definitely your best bet.  My preference is Playa Blanca in Lanzarote but I'm sure others will have recommendations.

We're going there early January for the third year running.  Excellent weather. 

We were in Lanzarote  last month and it was excellent,we stayed at La Geria on the outskirts of Puerto Del Carmen.

14 hours ago, Caballero said:

Goa is 9hrs direct from Manchester. Roasting and food and drink is cheap

I went to Goa years ago and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had. So good that I'm not sure if I want to go back in case it spoils my memory of it.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Ask me again next month.

From the limited stuff I've read about it it looks quite good. I'll probably forget to ask you but I hope you enjoy yourself.

Guest Moomintroll
15 hours ago, Ziggy said:

From the limited stuff I've read about it it looks quite good. I'll probably forget to ask you but I hope you enjoy yourself.

Did a lot of research before booking it & it looks good, quite OCD about booking a particular hotel. Not as party central as Cancun but still lively, pretty mainstream resort so not sure why others haven't commented on the thread, if you have any questions then fire away after the 16th.

There only a high risk of getting jailed if you’re an absolute pest and do things that would get you in bother over here. You’ve obviously fallen for the line perpetrated by our media that every single Brit/scot who gets jailed abroad is the victim of some gross miscarriage of justice.

I get wrecked on holiday and I got wrecked over there the same as I would here. As long as your not walking about the street singing you’ll be absolutely fine.

I loved Dubai and Abu Dhabi and the weather in December and January would be absolutely perfect.

Also agree with this sentence, I really don’t see the fascination of this place...

There is probably next to no risk of getting jailed for f**k all t.b h. Every story I've read had an "Ok, I did..." to it.

The fascination - guaranteed weather, excellent beaches, top-notch accommodation, shopping, nightlife, a huge choice of restaurants etc etc.

Sent from my LG-D724 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Archived