Realistic foreign managers

Chimter-boys

Felt it would be necessary to discuss potential foreign managers in a separate thread due to people suggesting we go down the foreign route. 

Personally think someone like Paulo Sousa or Vitor Pereira would be good shouts? 

Dare I say it even someone like Michael Laudrup or Frank De Boer?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're going fairly obscure, Fatih Terim is out a job and did a decent job with Turkey. Personally I'd love to see us go for Hiddink though, but I've no idea if he'd fancy it.

Mentioned Hiddink on one of the other pages.

WC semi final with South Korea, Euros semi final with Russia and multiple trophies in Holland.

Doesn’t play nice football but does well internationally with average players.

But as you said he might not fancy it.

Are we not roughly paying around 500k per annum? I think O'Neil is on that too according to BBC Sportsound.

Gordon Smith was on the radio saying Alex McLeish left because Birmingham, yes fucking Birmingham offered him 5x the amount of money we could offer. The money has went even more mental down South.

We need to be really realistic here.  Any half decent foreign manager will get snapped up by an English club before opting for us. Remember as well funny season starting down there (already has with De Boer getting punted).

Our options between Scots and non Scots is very very limited.

47 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Are we not roughly paying around 500k per annum? I think O'Neil is on that too according to BBC Sportsound.

Gordon Smith was on the radio saying Alex McLeish left because Birmingham, yes fucking Birmingham offered him 5x the amount of money we could offer. The money has went even more mental down South.

We need to be really realistic here.  Any half decent foreign manager will get snapped up by an English club before opting for us. Remember as well funny season starting down there (already has with De Boer getting punted).

Our options between Scots and non Scots is very very limited.

What we have paid and what we can afford to pay are two different things.  Given the various sources of income they have, including increased TV revenue and increased ticket prices, they should be able to pay a 7 figure salary for the right manager.

2 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

It was also stated (Tom English?) that the NI national side have scooped in a handsome £12M or so for their recent successes, especially from the performances that saw them get past the group stage in the Euros.

Whatever they are paying O'Neill, it's been a sound investment.

Bit of a bargain. Wasn't WGS on £400k?

3514CCBF00000578-3632231-image-a-2_14654

11 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

£500k p.a.

With regard to Alex McLeish, I'm still quite amazed that someone can be given the job of managing their national team, get paid that kind of money, and still think "aye, but how many more bottles of creme de menthe could I buy if I skipped off to Birmingham?"

With regard to Alex McLeish, I'm still quite amazed that someone can be given the job of managing their national team, get paid that kind of money, and still think "aye, but how many more bottles of creme de menthe could I buy if I skipped off to Birmingham?"

I can’t believe Eck has the brass neck to even throw his name in the hat, and before WGS was dismissed today.
The man decided money was more important to him than his country when he choose to destroy his career managing the two large Brummy clubs.
Unforgivable in my book. Plus I think we need a younger more pragmatic coach. Michael O’Neill for me would be ideal with his production with massively limited resources everywhere he’s been.

McLeish can get tae...

Archived