Dressing Room Bust Up - John Barnes' Celtic

Folks, looking for some help. Was reminiscing with some folk in work about meeting footballers and remembered bumping into the Celtic squad from the John Barnes era at Glasgow Airport (coming back from Israel I think) when I also remembered reading about the infamous dressing room bust up at the Inverness game – can anybody remember the rumoured story of what happened?

I’m sure Viduka was ripping into Barnes, Barnes said something ridiculous about another player and then it all kicked off with Jonathan Gould laying into someone (possibly Barnes as Gould was getting it for not coming for crosses??). Sure there was something in it about Ian Wright sitting in the corner in tears of laughter at it all as he’d never seen anything like it.

Does anyone remember the full story/ rumour?  it was a tremendous read at the time!

Cheers!

55 minutes ago, supermik said:

Think Viduka took his boots off and refused to come back out for the second half.

That might explain why the rest of them exited the dressing room with such alacrity...

3 hours ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Folks, looking for some help. Was reminiscing with some folk in work about meeting footballers and remembered bumping into the Celtic squad from the John Barnes era at Glasgow Airport (coming back from Israel I think) when I also remembered reading about the infamous dressing room bust up at the Inverness game – can anybody remember the rumoured story of what happened?

I’m sure Viduka was ripping into Barnes, Barnes said something ridiculous about another player and then it all kicked off with Jonathan Gould laying into someone (possibly Barnes as Gould was getting it for not coming for crosses??). Sure there was something in it about Ian Wright sitting in the corner in tears of laughter at it all as he’d never seen anything like it.

Does anyone remember the full story/ rumour?  it was a tremendous read at the time!

Cheers!

Ian Wright came on as a sub for Viduka at half-time after the rammy, his story was that Viduka went for Barnes and then refused to go back out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 15:58, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Cheers!

Viduka was ripping into the standard of defending, but the way i hear it, he was blaming the coaches rather than the players.... Barnes didn't like it, viduka then turned on wright calling him past it.... wright laughed because he agreed... then the boots got chucked away.

On 12/10/2017 at 19:23, Meatwad said:

Ian Wright came on as a sub for Viduka at half-time after the rammy, his story was that Viduka went for Barnes and then refused to go back out.

Celtic fans once more emerging as clueless morons, according to Wright.

Eric Black was the coach at the center of that dressing room bust up

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Eric+Black+-+Head+Youth+Development%2C+Assistant+Head+Coach

There is the general feeling that Eric Black was never liked within the dressing room at Celtic. Consequently he has shown little fondness for Celtic since leaving the club. The cause of the half-time dressing room bust up at the Inverness Caley Thistle game was partly a near-ruck between Viduka and Eric Black when Black accused Viduka of '....not being up for it tonight'. This was the spark that set the dressing room alight, with Viduka having to be restrained from physically attacking Black and Gould then chipping in. When Barnes was sacked, Black was offered another position within the coaching setup at the club but felt that the right thing to do was to go with Barnes.

Archived