The Mandela Effect

Venti

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Skerla said:

The Viz was funny? 

Viz was side splittingly funny, I mind seeing one of the first (maybe THE first) nationwide editions, a Geordie I worked with had it and was very keen to share it. Until the Alzheimers kicks in its one that will stick with me. Loved it in the past is it still going ? I must have been 21/22 when I first read it, probably about 20 years older the last time I read it and still thought it was OK. I do have quite a puerile sense of humour though so that maybe helps.

Love the Mandela segue, just enough confusion. :lol:

I can vividly remember hearing an interview on the radio with a police superintendent somewhere offering advice on people breaking into your house. Not just vaguely remember, but vividly.
He said that official police advice was to leave your car keys near your front door. What then would happen is that if someone were to break in, they'd see your car keys, and bugger off with the car. Which is far better than them coming into your house and rummaging around your room.
I can see the logic, I'd far rather wake up to find someone had stolen an insured vehicle than find someone standing over my kids while they were sleeping.
However I can find no record of this advice at all, and indeed recent advice seems to be that you shouldn't do this as insurers might not pay out if they judge you hadn't taken enough effort to safeguard your car keys.

Better advice would have been to leave the keys in the car with a note of your address on the windscreen so they didn't even need to break down the door. Maybe.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Better advice would have been to leave the keys in the car with a note of your address on the windscreen so they didn't even need to break down the door. Maybe.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would they need your address if they're at your house? Think sensibly, man.

15 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

The wife and I did a road trip in the USA some years ago. I vividly remember driving through the cotton fields of Georgia under the bluest sky I'd ever seen singing 500 Miles by the Proclaimers  with my wife in the passenger seat on my left.

Which is impossible as it was a left hand drive car.

There's a name for this - it's when your brain actually corrects a memory to what it thinks is right. Can't remember what it's called though :unsure:

Sounds like something along the lines of cognitive dissonance.

Also, The Viz is still amusing.

56 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree. Particularly letterbocks and top tips. They still make me laugh on the rare occassion I have a Viz

16 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I'll need to get a Viz then, some of the ads were great too.

satsumacastanet_1280x1024.jpg

I usually buy a copy in Edinburgh Airport when heading back here. Light reading that is normally done just as I get home. The articles are all a bit samey now, they ran out of original material there and in the comics a long time ago, but letterbocks, top tips and particularly the adverts still get a laugh.

Then of course there is the profannisaurus. That in it's own right is worth the money.

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I usually buy a copy in Edinburgh Airport when heading back here. Light reading that is normally done just as I get home. The articles are all a bit samey now, they ran out of original material there and in the comics a long time ago, but letterbocks, top tips and particularly the adverts still get a laugh.

Then of course there is the profannisaurus. That in it's own right is worth the money.

Used to buy it at train stations mostly, I'm rarely at them now, the profanisaurus was brilliant at times, I had to explain BOBFOC to a couple of mates the other week. I'm going to make the effort to renew my acquaintance, if its still cutting it I might even push the boat out and get a subscription. 

When I was about 6 or 7, playing football up the red ash park at the local primary school and behind us rose an ash tornado. It was about 15 feet tall and lasted about 20 seconds and we ran for our life. Absolutely no one believed us but I'm certain it happened and I still remember the moment I turned around and saw it.

Craig Dargo's 'wonder goal' against the Pars in 2000.

My recollection of it is him volleying it over the keeper from near the touchline, and from about 40 yards out. Only recently have I seen it again and realised he 'only' hit it from the corner of the 18 yard box.

Still some goal, mind.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would they need your address if they're at your house? Think sensibly, man.

The car might be parked between 2 houses - leaving the address would ensure they know exactly which house the car belonged to hence removing any chance of a misunderstanding. Better safe than sorry, eh!

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:10, chomp my root said:

Used to buy it at train stations mostly, I'm rarely at them now, the profanisaurus was brilliant at times, I had to explain BOBFOC to a couple of mates the other week. I'm going to make the effort to renew my acquaintance, if its still cutting it I might even push the boat out and get a subscription. 

I don't take out subscriptions anymore on the basis that I might not live long enough to get what I've paid for.

The wife and I did a road trip in the USA some years ago. I vividly remember driving through the cotton fields of Georgia under the bluest sky I'd ever seen singing 500 Miles by the Proclaimers  with my wife in the passenger seat on my left.

Which is impossible as it was a left hand drive car.

There's a name for this - it's when your brain actually corrects a memory to what it thinks is right. Can't remember what it's called though :unsure:

Archived