Edinburgh City vs Stenhousemuir

CEMSFC

I'd be disappointed if we didn't dish out another straightforward bodying here, to be honest. Stenhousemuir are playing well at the moment and looked like a functioning, cohesive unit in the wins against Berwick Rangers and Edinbrugh City, probably for the first time this season. I don't know how City will shape up under their new manager, and I'm a little apprehensive to see how we perform after the international break, but I'd still fancy the Warriors to win 2-0 or 3-1.

Same line-up as last month's meeting between the sides, please. No reason whatsoever to change it.

Goodness. What a rotten game of football. Only one team was going to win it. Edinburgh spent the entire second half lobbing the ball onto the head of Stenny defenders. It was terrible. Why not try something different? Only some abject finishing and inspired keeping kept the score down. And another clean sheet to add to the list.

Edinburgh City must be one of the most toothless sides I've seen in a long time. We've played them twice this season now and not once did I think they'd score a goal. As "beaver1" notes above me, all they did was lump balls on top of our centre-backs, and it didn't work once. They're a very limited side.

There's not much to write about because nothing much happened. Stenhousemuir were the better team for most of the match, the second half in particular, and probably should have won by three or four had it not been for some wayward finishing and decent goalkeeping from Calum Antell. Everyone had a decent game, especially the back four and Mark Ferry, who cleaned up in midfield and kept things ticking over. Ross Meechan was probably the man of the match.

Another clean sheet and a chance of getting a decent draw in the next round. What's not to like?

34 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Goodness. What a rotten game of football. Only one team was going to win it. Edinburgh spent the entire second half lobbing the ball onto the head of Stenny defenders. It was terrible. Why not try something different? Only some abject finishing and inspired keeping kept the score down. And another clean sheet to add to the list.

I groundhopped the reverse game a fortnight ago having never seen either team before. Your summary of tonight sounds like it was pretty much carbon copy from City. Men against boys in the first tie. 

Edinburgh City must be one of the most toothless sides I've seen in a long time. We've played them twice this season now and not once did I think they'd score a goal. As "beaver1" notes above me, all they did was lump balls on top of our centre-backs, and it didn't work once. They're a very limited side.
There's not much to write about because nothing much happened. Stenhousemuir were the better team for most of the match, the second half in particular, and probably should have won by three or four had it not been for some wayward finishing and decent goalkeeping from Calum Antell. Everyone had a decent game, especially the back four and Mark Ferry, who cleaned up in midfield and kept things ticking over. Ross Meechan was probably the man of the match.
Another clean sheet and a chance of getting a decent draw in the next round. What's not to like?

Thought Nicky Paterson was our MotM. Paton had a quiet game -early booking probably restricted him - but Paterson seemed to take over from him as our biggest influence in the middle.

Just now, beaver1 said:

Thought Nicky Paterson was our MotM. Paton had a quiet game -early booking probably restricted him - but Paterson seemed to take over from him as our biggest influence in the middle.

Paterson had a solid game too. Thought he looked a little timid to begin with but he was snapping necks and cashing cheques in the second half and really putting himself about, something I wouldn't have expected from him.

Ruaridh Donaldson is quietly developing into a very handy player. I've got a feeling he could move onto bigger and better things than Stenhousemuir at some point soon.

Goodness. What a rotten game of football. Only one team was going to win it. Edinburgh spent the entire second half lobbing the ball onto the head of Stenny defenders. It was terrible. Why not try something different?.

Missed the game last night but that sounds like a reasonable summary of our approach so far this year.

You don't have to believe me but last season we did actually pass the ball a bit, we weren't exactly adventurous but we did knock it about. No idea what the change of approach is all about.

What did Thomson get sent off for? That's his second of the season and I think red cards are outnumbering assists so far

25 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Missed the game last night but that sounds like a reasonable summary of our approach so far this year.

You don't have to believe me but last season we did actually pass the ball a bit, we weren't exactly adventurous but we did knock it about. No idea what the change of approach is all about.

What did Thomson get sent off for? That's his second of the season and I think red cards are outnumbering assists so far

Throwing the ball away to pick up a 2nd booking according to the match report in the Evening News, silly thing to do.

Took in this tie. City were pretty dire - Stenhousemuir were hardly spectacular but at least got shots on target.

I'd assumed the red was for dissent. Trailing 1-0 at home in the dying minutes of a Scottish Cup tie, why on earth throw the ball away?!?!

I thought it was for something he said to the referee and I’m guessing his patience just ran out as he had been blethering shite the whole match, disputing what seemed like every single decision including where throw in should be taken from. He just a horrible individual.

Archived