Dumbarton vs. Raith Rovers - 1/4 Final Challenge Cup

WSDR 88

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although most managers say they dont care much about this competition that is contrary to the displays i have seen.Both Raith and Sons were up for it yesterday and Crusders see it as an important competition.Having watched TNS VS QOS i would say the same that both clubs were keen to win and gave it their all.So with maybe the exception of Dundee United all the teams seemed to take it seriously.

Jim Duffy said that getting to the semis or final was the main carrot on the stick about this cup when he was on OTB yesterday.Maybe for small clubs its an important cash injection.

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

Although most managers say they dont care much about this competition that is contrary to the displays i have seen.Both Raith and Sons were up for it yesterday and Crusders see it as an important competition.Having watched TNS VS QOS i would say the same that both clubs were keen to win and gave it their all.So with maybe the exception of Dundee United all the teams seemed to take it seriously.

Jim Duffy said that getting to the semis or final was the main carrot on the stick about this cup when he was on OTB yesterday.Maybe for small clubs its an important cash injection.

I like the inclusion of the likes of Crusaders and TNS, because the Scottish teams really want to pap them out, adds an extra bit of interest for neutrals too.

I’ve always liked Dumbarton, when the Rovers were up at Inverness, my mates and I went to New Bayview and sat with the Sons, unfortunately it was a home win. But the Dumbarton fans we sat with were awesome

7 minutes ago, the snudge said:

What's the prize money like for getting to this stage? Is this a case for the @Skyline Drifter signal in the sky? 

This I think.

You get £3700 in prize money for losing in the 1st round plus what ever you made from the gate.

Prize money by round is 

1st £3700

2nd £5400

3rd £7500

QF £10000

SF £12500

Runner Up £15000

Winner £20000

I'll tell you what won't. The cost when the next league match comes round. I expect, but could be wrong if it was normal prices he wouldn't be attending.

Generally my wife and kids wouldn't come along to the football so the prices at the weekend gave them a chance to come along and see what it's all about. As long as it's not mental prices, I don't really care about the cost if it's just me going. I pay a lot more for Celtic and Scotland season tickets than I would at Dumbarton.

Out of interest, what would make you come back more?

I'm in the process of trying to make my mind up on who i want the kids to support longer term. In 2017, ive taken the older one to Celtic, Clydebank, Dumbarton, Thistle and St Mirren.

Celtic have been the only one to really blow her away. They had the mascot greet the kids when they enter the stadium and have entertainment for them before the match while having Xbox's for them if they get bored of the football.

I think for any small town club, they should be doing everything they can to get the kids through the door and then do whatever it takes for them to enjoy it. I don't know if Dumbarton do anything similar for the kids but I didn't notice anything obvious at the weekend. Other than that I think Dumbarton get it pretty spot on.

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

I'm in the process of trying to make my mind up on who i want the kids to support longer term. In 2017, ive taken the older one to Celtic, Clydebank, Dumbarton, Thistle and St Mirren.

Celtic have been the only one to really blow her away. They had the mascot greet the kids when they enter the stadium and have entertainment for them before the match while having Xbox's for them if they get bored of the football.

I think for any small town club, they should be doing everything they can to get the kids through the door and then do whatever it takes for them to enjoy it. I don't know if Dumbarton do anything similar for the kids but I didn't notice anything obvious at the weekend. Other than that I think Dumbarton get it pretty spot on.

While I'm completely independent of Dumbarton, I'd be delighted to hear if you ended up going to them in the future. Kudos to you for taking your kids to different grounds and getting different experiences. The likelyhood is they'll end up at Parkhead as it's easy to go to support a team who are winning consistently with the biggest budget. But if they went regularly to a club like Dumbarton, there's memories attached which are so hard fought for it's well worth the wait when it happens. 

Stuff like Ian Murray turning the club around when they were ridiculously cut adrift at the bottom of the league. Dumbarton fans will have better examples than I can provide, but it's all part of the joy of following a diddy club. You get to know the people about you, and don't get daytrippers, and if you do they're somewhat of a curiosity. It's easier to interact with the players, both positively and negatively. But at the end of the day, the people going week in and week out are the lifeblood of clubs like us and the Sons. 99% of the time it's eyebleedingly awful, and you have to watch some terrible football at times. You'll see your club make crazy decisions. But when it goes right,then it's one of the best feelings going. 

18 minutes ago, rw89 said:

While I'm completely independent of Dumbarton, I'd be delighted to hear if you ended up going to them in the future. Kudos to you for taking your kids to different grounds and getting different experiences. The likelyhood is they'll end up at Parkhead as it's easy to go to support a team who are winning consistently with the biggest budget. But if they went regularly to a club like Dumbarton, there's memories attached which are so hard fought for it's well worth the wait when it happens. 

Stuff like Ian Murray turning the club around when they were ridiculously cut adrift at the bottom of the league. Dumbarton fans will have better examples than I can provide, but it's all part of the joy of following a diddy club. You get to know the people about you, and don't get daytrippers, and if you do they're somewhat of a curiosity. It's easier to interact with the players, both positively and negatively. But at the end of the day, the people going week in and week out are the lifeblood of clubs like us and the Sons. 99% of the time it's eyebleedingly awful, and you have to watch some terrible football at times. You'll see your club make crazy decisions. But when it goes right,then it's one of the best feelings going. 

Good post, and just about sums it up.   A Morton-supporting pal describes supporting a provincial club as depositing year-on-year a huge amount of passion and hope into something akin to an emotional bank; just every once in a while you get to make a withdrawal, an experience that makes it all worthwhile.

However, for a youngster that's a big ask, but rest assured you'll all be made most welcome at The Rock even if your visits are only on an occasional basis.

Archived