Dumbarton vs. Raith Rovers - 1/4 Final Challenge Cup

WSDR 88

30 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:
the bold Chick let out an audible laugh.

I liked when he tried to claim St Mirren were the real winners of the cup last year because they avoided relegation. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Skyline Drifter, Spence will be available. Was the Davo injury such a dull one that we know for certain he'll be out? 
Hopefully we'll get lucky. It's the Rovers though so Davo will have three broken legs, Spence will have leg-dropped a disabled Dumbarton official on the way down the tunnel for a ten game ban and Lewis Vaughan will get fucking malaria on Tuesday afternoon. 

Hopefully we'll get lucky? I'm hoping Davo's out for a few weeks.

Back to the game, that's two wins in a row without Nade and Froxylias. I wasn't holding out much hope for winning either, but Brechin and Raith were poor although we ahead well. Let's not get carried away about next week. I still remember Huntly. Let's get right behind the team next week. I'm glad our programme editor mentioned the fans attitude at Brechin last week. More of the same next week Sons 

Also, see if you're looking for a round up of the lower leagues or Scottish football, where the patter isn't complete dross, you're best waiting until each Thursday for the Terrace podcast. No idea why anyone would listen to a bunch of ex-pros from the 80s and 90s who are detached from the fans. 

Expected more from raith today.

Watch the penalty incident again; spence knows hes done wrong and jogs away from the box on the stand side. While our players are surrounding the ref about the disallowed goal. Must have been hand ball then.

Where did you manage to watch the penalty incident back?

By the way, big ups to Kyle Hutton (again) today. We all thought him and Carsy would be a total disaster, but fair play to both of them - it's working. Hutton's actually, technically, quite decent. He's a lovely short range passer, and has the vision and ability to pull off some belting crossfielders. He's absolutely not a fighter, and he's far from mobile, but Carsy doing both of those things has certainly free'd him up.

It's not Stanton and Carswell, not by a long chalk, but it's a combination that's working.  Carsy fighting, marking and winning the ball back, allowing Hutton a bit of time and space to make decisions, which suits him down to the ground.

Boomer was the best player on the park today though - not that there was a failure in a Sons' shirt.  Mark Stewart was outstanding, totally tireless and selfless - after a less than convincing start he's really a player I've grown to like. The SeaGal had his best game for us, and was unfortunate to be denied a couple of times by some last ditch defending, whilst Dowie, Mango and Scott Gal could've chain smoked cigars all match - with only Lewis Vaughan ever really looking like doing something on the rare occasions where he found space.

Good attendance too. I'm claiming an additional three when it comes to the crowd figure. A guy from my football team, his Dad and his brother were tempted along by the reduced prices and enjoyed it...well, apart from the drum aspect, but they're used to Celtic Park, so they should be more than used to constant drum noise.

18 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Also, see if you're looking for a round up of the lower leagues or Scottish football, where the patter isn't complete dross, you're best waiting until each Thursday for the Terrace podcast. No idea why anyone would listen to a bunch of ex-pros from the 80s and 90s who are detached from the fans. 

I used to listen to The Terrace every week.

These days it's as and when I remember, but it's still a good listen.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No idea what happened for the red, I just assumed Spence had handeled it on the line or something. I thought Rovers actually looked better once he went off. The number 4 was also a bit of a diddy.

Pleasing.

We looked better when Robertson moved into the middle, can't understand why he put him on to replace Davo then moved him up, just admit he's not a defender and our midfield is non existent when he isn't there. 

As for number 4 diddy is too polite, I'd rate him below Chris Johnson

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:
Dear Sportsound

I couldn't believe what I was listening to today. Messrs Gordon, Young and Miller completely dissed the Irn Bru Cup and by dint of that, disrespected the sponsors and teams competing this weekend for a place in the semi finals.

They concentrated on the Welsh and Northern Irish teams and almost made a joke of their taking part. Crusaders are in the semi finals and New Saints are in the quarter finals. Richard Gordon said "Today, Dumbarton play Raith Rovers in the quarter finals" and the bold Chick let out an audible laugh.

I attended the said game today and it was a good performance by Dumbarton. The fans went home happy, unaccustomed as they are to playing in semi-finals. I hope no-one thinking about attending a tie this weekend, heard the Sportsound chat on how awful the competition was.

No mention was made of Premiership "Colts" teams taking part and all being eliminated in the first round. Dundee United escaped criticism for fielding their reserve team in the competition. Nope, the criticism was all for the tournament and the sponsor - Chick actually making fun of an Irn Bru banner used for the winners in a previous competition - St Mirren in fact. Chick makes a great virtue of being a St Mirren fan . He is no more a St Mirren fan than a potential Brain of Britain contestant.

Young on his last visit to our stadium, didn't even have the wit to remember the stadium sponsors' name, he announced the away team (Hibernian) first on air and his comments throughout were nothing but condescending to Dumbarton.

Do me a favour Sporstsound, just don't bother talking about football below the level of the Premiership. You're clearly not interested in it and you have the completely wrong end of the stick most of the time.

Yours sincerely,

Wilf.

A great post Wilf.  This attitude permeates our football broadcast media and what essentially should be all about respect becomes fawning, uncritical deference when the affairs of, say, Celtic are being discussed, and way too often condescending, sarcastic bantz when lesser mortals are in the frame.

Chick Young  is the ageing enfant terrible in all of this; he comes over as nothing more than a parasitic pimp advertising to the world  just how ugly his tricks are.

By the way, big ups to Kyle Hutton (again) today. We all thought him and Carsy would be a total disaster, but fair play to both of them - it's working. Hutton's actually, technically, quite decent. He's a lovely short range passer, and has the vision and ability to pull off some belting crossfielders. He's absolutely not a fighter, and he's far from mobile, but Carsy doing both of those things has certainly free'd him up.
It's not Stanton and Carswell, not by a long chalk, but it's a combination that's working.  Carsy fighting, marking and winning the ball back, allowing Hutton a bit of time and space to make decisions, which suits him down to the ground.
Boomer was the best player on the park today though - not that there was a failure in a Sons' shirt.  Mark Stewart was outstanding, totally tireless and selfless - after a less than convincing start he's really a player I've grown to like. The SeaGal had his best game for us, and was unfortunate to be denied a couple of times by some last ditch defending, whilst Dowie, Mango and Scott Gal could've chain smoked cigars all match - with only Lewis Vaughan ever really looking like doing something on the rare occasions where he found space.
Good attendance too. I'm claiming an additional three when it comes to the crowd figure. A guy from my football team, his Dad and his brother were tempted along by the reduced prices and enjoyed it...well, apart from the drum aspect, but they're used to Celtic Park, so they should be more than used to constant drum noise.

I agree Hutton was good today, he did look for the diagonal ball a bit too much for my liking that was very predictable but all in all I thought he was excellent. Dowie and mango strolled the game but weren’t tested at all. Scott gals kicking was horrendous but other than that had nothing to do which I think says more about raith than us. Didn’t think Vaughan looked anywhere near the player for us last season and raiths number 15 was pathetic, how he lasted as long as he did is beyond me

27 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Great post and can't disagree with any of it!

Drum = Hellish. However if it keeps the kids happy I'll buy earplugs....

Definitely not going to defend the Sportsound dinosaurs and they definitely shouldn’t be downplaying the game, but this tournament is a complete waste of time, resource and in many cases money.

If you could opt out I’m pretty certain more than a few teams would.

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I won't have a bad word said about the lads with the drum. Absolute breath of fresh air in that home end and didn't stop singing (family friendly) chants all day. Massive respect for me, hope they come back.

Plus if it drowns out the tambourine fannies, that's a good thing, right?

45 minutes ago, Paco said:

Definitely not going to defend the Sportsound dinosaurs and they definitely shouldn’t be downplaying the game, but this tournament is a complete waste of time, resource and in many cases money.

If that's the case then it's a pity. We're involved in a war of attrition against being relegated. The Irn Bru Cup has provided welcome respite and given us the opportunity of seeing what our team can do when not being forced to play deep and defend almost all of the time.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

This

All the same good luck to Dumbarton,guys on here are a good bunch.wouldn,t mind seeing them win it

Archived