Dumbarton vs. Raith Rovers - 1/4 Final Challenge Cup

WSDR 88

How many of Raith's first team were missing there? I'm not reading too much into it but if that's the best League 1 have to offer then I'll take our chances in the play-offs this year.

The way Smith has had us playing the past 6-7 weeks it wouldn't make any difference. He somehow thinks it's a great tactic to play the long ball to Liam Buchanan.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Herron has been fucking awful everytime I have seen him play yet now seems to be our first choice midfielder. His passing is horrendous, he doesn't tackle or compete in the air and he seems uninterested at times. hopefully we play Mathews and Robertson in midfield on Tuesday.

Osei was woeful today can't see any reason why he is getting game time ahead of Court. Manager obviously doesn't rate Court at all. Shame as he is the only striker we have got that has a decent physical presence.

That was  enjoyable, the win up at Brechin gave us a right boost. Fair play to us for grabbing the game by the scruff & going for it today.

Stewart should have taken the penalty though.

Well done Sons, decent crowd & a bit of noise too with the sensible pricing.

Dear Sportsound

I couldn't believe what I was listening to today. Messrs Gordon, Young and Miller completely dissed the Irn Bru Cup and by dint of that, disrespected the sponsors and teams competing this weekend for a place in the semi finals.

They concentrated on the Welsh and Northern Irish teams and almost made a joke of their taking part. Crusaders are in the semi finals and New Saints are in the quarter finals. Richard Gordon said "Today, Dumbarton play Raith Rovers in the quarter finals" and the bold Chick let out an audible laugh.

I attended the said game today and it was a good performance by Dumbarton. The fans went home happy, unaccustomed as they are to playing in semi-finals. I hope no-one thinking about attending a tie this weekend, heard the Sportsound chat on how awful the competition was.

No mention was made of Premiership "Colts" teams taking part and all being eliminated in the first round. Dundee United escaped criticism for fielding their reserve team in the competition. Nope, the criticism was all for the tournament and the sponsor - Chick actually making fun of an Irn Bru banner used for the winners in a previous competition - St Mirren in fact. Chick makes a great virtue of being a St Mirren fan . He is no more a St Mirren fan than a potential Brain of Britain contestant.

Young on his last visit to our stadium, didn't even have the wit to remember the stadium sponsors' name, he announced the away team (Hibernian) first on air and his comments throughout were nothing but condescending to Dumbarton.

Do me a favour Sporstsound, just don't bother talking about football below the level of the Premiership. You're clearly not interested in it and you have the completely wrong end of the stick most of the time.

Yours sincerely,

Wilf.

Dear Sportsound   I couldn't believe what I was listening to today. Messrs Gordon, Young and Miller completely dissed the Irn Bru Cup and by dint of that, disrespected the sponsors and teams competing this weekend for a place in the semi finals.   They concentrated on the Welsh and Northern Irish teams and almost made a joke of their taking part. Crusaders are in the semi finals and New Saints are in the quarter finals. Richard Gordon said "Today, Dumbarton play Raith Rovers in the quarter finals" and the bold Chick let out an audible laugh.   I attended the said game today and it was a good performance by Dumbarton. The fans went home happy, unaccustomed as they are to playing in semi-finals. I hope no-one thinking about attending a tie this weekend, heard the Sportsound chat on how awful the competition was.   No mention was made of Premiership "Colts" teams taking part and all being eliminated in the first round. Dundee United escaped criticism for fielding their reserve team in the competition. Nope, the criticism was all for the tournament and the sponsor - Chick actually making fun of an Irn Bru banner used for the winners in a previous competition - St Mirren in fact. Chick makes a great virtue of being a St Mirren fan . He is no more a St Mirren fan than a potential Brain of Britain contestant.   Young on his last visit to our stadium, didn't even have the wit to remember the stadium sponsors' name, he announced the away team (Hibernian) first on air and his comments throughout were nothing but condescending to Dumbarton.   Do me a favour Sporstsound, just don't bother talking about football below the level of the Premiership. You're clearly not interested in it and you have the completely wrong end of the stick most of the time.   Yours sincerely,   Wilf.

Chick's a senile old fool. He's been stealing a wage for about a decade.

A truly woeful 'pundit' who should be completely ignored. Literally everything that comes out his mouth is utter jibberish. He represents everything that is wrong with the media that report on Scottish football.

Get him in the sea.

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:
Dear Sportsound

I couldn't believe what I was listening to today. Messrs Gordon, Young and Miller completely dissed the Irn Bru Cup and by dint of that, disrespected the sponsors and teams competing this weekend for a place in the semi finals.

They concentrated on the Welsh and Northern Irish teams and almost made a joke of their taking part. Crusaders are in the semi finals and New Saints are in the quarter finals. Richard Gordon said "Today, Dumbarton play Raith Rovers in the quarter finals" and the bold Chick let out an audible laugh.

I attended the said game today and it was a good performance by Dumbarton. The fans went home happy, unaccustomed as they are to playing in semi-finals. I hope no-one thinking about attending a tie this weekend, heard the Sportsound chat on how awful the competition was.

No mention was made of Premiership "Colts" teams taking part and all being eliminated in the first round. Dundee United escaped criticism for fielding their reserve team in the competition. Nope, the criticism was all for the tournament and the sponsor - Chick actually making fun of an Irn Bru banner used for the winners in a previous competition - St Mirren in fact. Chick makes a great virtue of being a St Mirren fan . He is no more a St Mirren fan than a potential Brain of Britain contestant.

Young on his last visit to our stadium, didn't even have the wit to remember the stadium sponsors' name, he announced the away team (Hibernian) first on air and his comments throughout were nothing but condescending to Dumbarton.

Do me a favour Sporstsound, just don't bother talking about football below the level of the Premiership. You're clearly not interested in it and you have the completely wrong end of the stick most of the time.

Yours sincerely,

Wilf.

I don't mean any offence here Wilf, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, but just don't give these arseholes the air time. They are tired and tedious and disrespecting Scottish football is all they know. 

I enjoyed that today.

We were dominant for much of the game. Some very good performances from both fullbacks and Andy Dowie absolutely strolled it. Ally Roy played well on the left before being subbed and it was good to see him score. Hutton had a decent game and was generally effective. I think Mark Stewart is doing pretty well for us right now and is starting to look dangerous with his movement. He's far more involved in games these days after a slow start to the season.

Its maybe only the Irn Bru cup but being in the semi final of a national cup competition puts a smile on your face. It raises heads and creates a bit of feel good. We played well today and deserved to go through. Before kick off I didnt think there would be the gap between the 2 sides that ultimately showed over the 90 minutes, despite us easing off after around 70 and letting Raith back into the game a little.

Well done Sons. And well done to the 888 folk who turned up.

The only moan I'll have isn't even related to our game today. Radio Scotland on in the car on my way into the game and they were discussing the Irn Bru cup. It was only the opening 10 or 15 minutes of the show but all they spoke about was how it was an unwelcome distraction for Dundee United, how unhappy the likes of Wilo Flood looked when he won the thing last season and how St Mirren weren't bothered at all by losing the final.

Really?

We've got the chance for fans of lower league clubs to experience a cup run and the excitement of getting to the semis/finals and we have our national broadcaster talking the competition down. It might not be particularly prestigious in grand scheme of things and I'm sure Dundee United would have traded their win for promotion to the top flight. St Mirren certainly wouldn't have traded survival in the Championship for winning the trophy. But for clubs like ours it's a chance for fans to experience something that doesnt happen too often. £10 a pop today and under 12s in free. 12-16 year olds in at a discounted price. Why can't our national broadcaster spend a bit of time looking at the positives for once? Particularly when it involves community clubs in the lower leagues?

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Chick's a senile old fool. He's been stealing a wage for about a decade.

A truly woeful 'pundit' who should be completely ignored. Literally everything that comes out his mouth is utter jibberish. He represents everything that is wrong with the media that report on Scottish football.

Get him in the sea.

He even said on another subject "Make no mistake, Gordon Strachan was SACKED!"

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely Strachan had reached the end (or thereby) of his contract and it wasn't renewed. Neither Gordon nor Miller contradicted him.

The fact that Chick Young is still considered relevant when there are a host of actually darned interesting young Scottish sports journos kicking about (not just me :ph34r:) leaves me somewhere between sad and seething. 

Honestly I've never heard anything but contempt come out of his mouth for whatever game he's 'covering'. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't mean any offence here Wilf, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, but just don't give these arseholes the air time. They are tired and tedious and disrespecting Scottish football is all they know. 

Yep! But why should they just get away with it?

Expected more from raith today.

Watch the penalty incident again; spence knows hes done wrong and jogs away from the box on the stand side. While our players are surrounding the ref about the disallowed goal. Must have been hand ball then.

17 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:
Dear Sportsound

Yours sincerely,

Wilf.

Great post. 

2 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Yep! But why should they just get away with it?

Its not even that they should be ignored.

They've spent the past 20-25 years telling the Scottish public that our football is garbage and questioning why people would willingly follow the game. It's been the same message since the 90s - our football is poor, we can't compete any more and we have a product that simply isnt good enough for anybody to really consider valuing or following in any great numbers.

No other sport would allow it's press to sell it so short.

My other sport is one of the poorer leagues in Europe. Our national side havent been ranked higher than 21st in the world for decades. I have never heard the league or the teams competing in it do anything but sell the sport positively. The Warriors Pro 14 guys don't spend their time telling everybody that the Pro 14 isnt as good as English Premiership rugby, French pro-rugby or Aussie pro-rugby. The Rocks basketball people don't tell folk that they're not the NBA so if you want to follow them then you must be mad.

The Scottish press are actively undermining our game and have been for far too long. I'm not suggesting that we should be talking about it in gushing terms as if we're watching silky skills every weekend, but we really need to start taking a bit more pride in what we have and valuing it.

Archived