Dumbarton vs. Raith Rovers - 1/4 Final Challenge Cup

WSDR 88

8 minutes ago, Paco said:

Our away form regardless of competition here is starting to get into ‘alarming’ territory.

Should’ve thrown the first match and cut down on financial loss and player injury. Now we play a crunch with Ayr minus three first-team players (Lennox, Davidson, Spence). Stupid.

It was utter daft for us to play a full strength team in our first match.  Lennox has been out since we made rough work against Brora. We shouldn't be starting our first team players in a competition where you'd have to imagine we've lost money in at least 2 of 4 rounds we've played. Fortunately, Raith TV commentary saying it was a question of game time for Lennox and Benedictus is edging closer. Notable too our performance seemed to pick up once Robbo went into midfield. 

Couldn't give a f**k about the fact we're up. This was just a distraction from Tuesday and next Saturday. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was about as comfortable a win as I can remember this season. Probably the most comfortable since the last time we played Raith. 2-0 going on 5 or 6.

I've absolutely not got a clue what happened with the penalty. Hopefully SonsTV will clear it up.

John Herron is awful ... thought berry was unlucky to get subbed he looks like our best new prospect. We looked lazy today apart from Vaughan. Silly pass by smith for the 2nd, Thomson was screaming for it. Davo telling fans to shut the f**k up. McKay looked better once he came on & was willing to take the ball forwards.

I expected a lot more from raith, they were woeful and the sons dominated from start to finish.
I thought Stewart was excellent and Hutton put an excellent shift in Iv no idea why Roy was taken off as I felt he was our best player until he went off!

Breezed through that. Thought we played some really nice stuff, McLaughlin was superb. Hutton, Seagal, Walsh and Stewart were all fucking excellent too. Delighted for Ally Roy, he was again positive and took his goal well.

Really encouraging performance considering we have about 5 or 6 starters missing. We were so composed today on the ball, really pleasing. Well done to the whole squad. An away draw to Crusaders now please...

On train home. Should have taken my lead from the Rovers team and not turned up. Dumbarton didn’t need to get out of first gear to easily beat us. 

Smith in goals is an absolute horror show. How long is the manager going to persist with him? Rooted to his line every ball into the box.  If he plays Tuesday night we are fucked 

On train home. Should have taken my lead from the Rovers team and not turned up. Dumbarton didn’t need to get out of first gear to easily beat us. 
Smith in goals is an absolute horror show. How long is the manager going to persist with him? Rooted to his line every ball into the box.  If he plays Tuesday night we are fucked 

Today was the perfect game to play Brian but yet again Smith refuses.

Yaw looked out his depth but that's why these guys need to play more in league matches and gain experience instead of throwing them into the deep end today.

Clearly Smith doesn't rate Court. Let's just release the boy as it's absolutely pointless him sitting on the bench week in week out. It must be completely confidence sapping for him.

Bar 2 or 3 games this season I still can't see how Smith wants us to play other than punt ball. The reason we're top is because we have better players in the league but that will only get you so far and win you so many games. It won't be enough to win the league especially with a team like Ayr with us this season.

Comfortable win...and tbh..Raith were awful...easily the worst team I've seen this season...only Vaughan looked interested

Raiths defence looked suspect throughout, and our second summed thar up

Like everyone else, I didn't really see what happened for the penalty...I can only assume Spence handled the ball. Awful penalty from Walsh though and actually allowed Raith to have a good go at us for 15 minutes

Delighted with the win and would love to get crusaders away in the semi final

I thought Smith was ok for you today, kept u in it with some decent (albeit routine) saves.
Penalty I assume was for handball on the line hence the red card but was hard to tell, I did moan that Stewart scored but tbf to the ref he did blow a good bit before he hit it!
All in all I’m chuffed to bits! I don’t get to many games and was delighted I was there today. Would be great to get to a final.

15 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

I genuinely don't know what he brings that  the lad Brian doesn't. I would usually say experience, but he's confidence sapping to say the least.

Dominant from start to finish, probably the most comfortable I've seen us for years. Given we have so many injuries it was a pleasant surprise.

Not a failure in the team today, McLaughlin in particular was excellent and he's playing with real confidence just now. Walsh, Stewart, Hutton, Carswell, Wardrop, Dowie, Gallagher and Barr were all excellent. Not one player had a bad game.

I was hugely surprised by how bad Rovers were. Aside from Vaughan they offered nothing and their back 4 and goalkeeper had a bit of a nightmare. It was 2 going on about 6.

No idea what happened for the red, I just assumed Spence had handeled it on the line or something. I thought Rovers actually looked better once he went off. The number 4 was also a bit of a diddy.

Pleasing.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How many of Raith's first team were missing there? I'm not reading too much into it but if that's the best League 1 have to offer then I'll take our chances in the play-offs this year.

Weve been murder for a few weeks so I wouldn't read much into it.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How many of Raith's first team were missing there? I'm not reading too much into it but if that's the best League 1 have to offer then I'll take our chances in the play-offs this year.

5 or 6 with injuries and a few getting rested for Tuesday. 

That Raith team looked extremely similar to John Hughes' omnishambles at the Rock last season. A 'keeper who couldn't kick, defenders who looked terrified of the ball and seriously clumsy, a midfield that spent much of the game hiding and one wee bright spark up front who spent too much of the game isolated.

Archived