Dumbarton vs. Raith Rovers - 1/4 Final Challenge Cup

WSDR 88

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its usually a decent match, with goals aplenty when Sons play Raith.

Hopefully another goalfest with a home win & The Sons into a Semi :o

Nice to see young Vaughan again too, as long as he has a stinker & Mark Stewart has a blinder obviously. :unsure:

eta - bowling club still exists.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2017 at 21:46, foreverarover said:

Play the kids , a far more important game in midweek.

We'd be delighted if Raith decide to play a '2nd xi' in this game, not often we get near the latter stages of a Cup tournament. Some Sons fans say the Cups don't matter, I think it can give a Club & the fans a wee boost to go on a run in one of the Cups.

Of course the League is more important.

Actually looking forward to this match.

On 04/11/2017 at 21:46, foreverarover said:

Play the kids , a far more important game in midweek.

Didn't realise you guys had a game midweek. We don't have another league game until the 25th but our team is pretty much picking itself such are our injuries. Not having Froxylias is a blow and Handling is still yet to make his return. Good thing is Barr's suspension is over but with Carswell back I'm not sure he walks straight into the team (I'd play him instead of Dowie but I doubt Aitken has the same opinion). By all accounts Walsh had a good game "in the hole" on Saturday so I expect he'll continue there. Mark Stewart has really upped his game the last few weeks but I still think our service to him is terrible - there was one pass from McLaughlin on Saturday which was slid down the channel with Stewart bending his run in between the centre halves - in my opinion that's the type of balls we need to be feeding him, he's not a "back to goal" type striker.

As much as we can bemoan our supposed lack of quality, we've been competitive in just about every game so far and are doing better in the league and cups than we have done in previous years. It's a weird feeling but I'm fairly confident going into this one (as long as you leave Lewis on the bench).

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Didn't realise you guys had a game midweek. We don't have another league game until the 25th but our team is pretty much picking itself such are our injuries. Not having Froxylias is a blow and Handling is still yet to make his return. Good thing is Barr's suspension is over but with Carswell back I'm not sure he walks straight into the team (I'd play him instead of Dowie but I doubt Aitken has the same opinion). By all accounts Walsh had a good game "in the hole" on Saturday so I expect he'll continue there. Mark Stewart has really upped his game the last few weeks but I still think our service to him is terrible - there was one pass from McLaughlin on Saturday which was slid down the channel with Stewart bending his run in between the centre halves - in my opinion that's the type of balls we need to be feeding him, he's not a "back to goal" type striker.

As much as we can bemoan our supposed lack of quality, we've been competitive in just about every game so far and are doing better in the league and cups than we have done in previous years. It's a weird feeling but I'm fairly confident going into this one (as long as you leave Lewis on the bench).

I wonder if Dowie and McLaughlin will be suspended for this one as they have both picked up 2 cautions in the competition?

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

*cough*

@Skyline Drifter

*cough*

I read it earlier and tried to check but its not clear. I think they probably should be. It was definitely two bookings for a suspension last year but I cant find anything definitive remotely at the moment. Will have to have a look at competition documentation.

The most recent suspension list doesnt show them as suspended but the competition bookings list shows both of them in two separate places with one booking rather than once with two bookings.  I suspect they should be suspended but not certain.

24 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Any thoughts on who'll play LB if McLaughlin's out? At least Mango can replace Dowie.

Normally I'd say Dill as our only other natural lefty, but he'll be needed to partner Mango. I could see Wardrop moving across and David Smith (if fit) coming in at right-back. If he's still out then I wouldn't be shocked to see us  shoehorn Carsy or even the SeaGal in at right-back. Carsy played there a few times for Motherwell according to Transfermarkt, and would be defensively decent enough if not quite dynamic going forward (unless we get the new, attacking Stuart Carswell from Saturday). The SeaGal is probably similar to David Smith in that he's quite quick, decent defensively, but not particularly creative for a winger - so he'd probably do alright as a stand-in.

Even going three at the back would be an issue as we only have two centre-halves. That would mean you'd need Wardrop to drop into the back three, and leave you with some very attacking wing-backs. Albeit with two very defensive centre-mids in Carsy and Hutton. 

Basically what I'm saying here is that we badly need Grant 'The Scottish Phil Neville' Gallagher back, to just fill in somewhere. 

Archived