Scottish Borders Tory Bumpkins Vs English/Welsh Borders Tory Bumpkins

Sloop John B

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've a fair idea since it was me who gave it. See above. Latest suggestion would be somewhere between 300 and 400. I'm sceptical about 500 but I hope you're right. It won't fundamentally matter much though. It won't make any odds to their organisation either way.
6 buses? As I've already said, I'm aware there are two, almost full, from the Travel Club. A 33 seater from the Devorgilla on the Sunday and a minibus the day before and a minibus (I think) from the New Bazaar on the Sunday as well as an advance party away by cars on the Saturday. There's a group of Afan Lido supporters going to support us too due to a link with the Doonhamers Tartan Army. The Shrewsbury and Merseyside fans are also going albeit not with buses and that's a total of about 20 people. What's the 6th bus?
Copenhagen was an exceptional circumstance obviously. The other two you mention clearly benefited from being in Central Scotland where the matches were nearer for a chunk of the attendees than a home game would be. Both much higher profile fixtures than a trip to TNS too.
Still, I take the point, and it's clearly being picked up on as a novelty fixture worth making a trip out of by a lot of people. I certainly wouldn't be absolutely astonished now if we had 500 there. Don't know if the fact it's Remembrance Sunday will prevent some people from travelling?

Devorgilla have a 16 going down Saturday and a 49 the Sunday

Forgetting about the possible travelling hoards,what's gonna happen on the pitch?Queens should be good enough to get through.Play attacking football  from the start and let's hear none of this "respect" pish from the manager.GO FOR IT!!!The fans want and deserve a positive minded display.

Having spent decades of traipsing around Scotland watching a fair percentage of largely meaningless games what a refreshing change this fixture is. Counting down the days. Feel like a teenager again. Canny wait.

It's certainly a different kind of fixture but I'd say it's our most meaningless game left this season.

It's certainly a different kind of fixture but I'd say it's our most meaningless game left this season.

It’s a cup quarter final, away to a team we’ve never played with a good chance of progression. I’m buzzing like a 8 year old on Christmas Eve.

It’s a cup quarter final, away to a team we’ve never played with a good chance of progression. I’m buzzing like a 8 year old on Christmas Eve.

The opponent makes for a bit of excitement but I won't lose any sleep over it if we lose. If we get beat next week in the league or in the Scottish Cup I'll be far more upset.

Are people really just expecting us to go down there brush them aside im certainly not TNS are a decent side and it won't be easy

I don't think anyone thinking that tbh. I reckon it'll be a tricky game. They would probably be in our division if they played here so I wouldn't want to call it.

The bookies clearly fancy TNS. Bet365 have them at 19/20. We're priced at 5/2 which is definitely worth a punt.

How have TNS fared in their previous matches against Scottish opponents? I’m far too lazy to check. Who knocked them out last year?

They've beat Livi twice, once in ET. And Elgin. Not sure if they played anyone else.

St Mirren knocked them out last season winning 4-1. I'm positive TNS went 1-0 as I can recall putting money on St Mirren to win inplay (and I'm sure they were getting beat rather than drawing at the time). Those odds are ridiculous and if we show up there's no reason why we can't get the win.

12 hours ago, gogs said:

Are people really just expecting us to go down there brush them aside im certainly not TNS are a decent side and it won't be easy

I haven't seen anyone at all (other than Monkman after you posted) suggest we'll win easily.

I think it's a bit of a coin flip to be honest. I watched their game against Livi and I thought they were lucky to get through. Livi were the better side, but they've knocked them out twice now and are no mugs. I think it's the kind of fixture I'd hope to win 6 out 10 times maybe but it's no gimme, especially on their ground.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

They've beat Livi twice, once in ET. And Elgin. Not sure if they played anyone else.

St Mirren knocked them out last season winning 4-1. I'm positive TNS went 1-0 as I can recall putting money on St Mirren to win inplay (and I'm sure they were getting beat rather than drawing at the time). Those odds are ridiculous and if we show up there's no reason why we can't get the win.

Last season they won 3-1 away to Forfar and 3-0 away to Livingston before losing 4-1 at St Mirren in the semi final.

This season they beat Livingston on penalties (after a 1-1 draw) at home and then beat Elgin 4-0.

I watched both games against Livingston and notwithstanding the fact the one last season was 3-0 I thought they were a bit fortunate in both. Livi were certainly the better side in this season's encounter. I thought they were the better side last season too until TNS scored out of nothing. They then picked them off twice in the second half as Livi, who were clearly more interested in their promotion campaign, surrendered fairly meekly after that. They've very comfortably despatched two League Two sides though.

They did score out of nothing to take the lead at St Mirren in the semi final and were holding on ok until McGinn scored from about 30 yards out to equalise. The game then turned on Saunders getting a red card just after the hour. Mallan scored from the resulting free kick and St Mirren were very comfortable after that.

They are used to winning (although were surprisingly beaten at home by Barry Town on Saturday) and will be a major challenge. We'll be without Jason Kerr who has been a big part of our defence this season. It will be a tight game I imagine and we'll need the likes of Dobbie to show all his quality to progress. If we play like we did at Montrose in the last round we'll lose.

Archived