Harvey Weinstein

ICTChris

42 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

BBC news saying that Seth MacFarlane made a Weinstein crack when he was presenting the Oscars, saying that some of the nominees would be safe from his advances now they were known names.

Basically he said that now they were Oscar winners they could stop pretending to be attracted to Wankstain Weinstein 

18 hours ago, Torpar said:

Seems like they're all Polanski's mate.

It'll be interesting to see the responses when Polanski finally dies and the lassies he's abused in Europe come out of the woodwork. "How could I have known?" and "I heard rumours" won't really cut the mustard.

BBC news saying that Seth MacFarlane made a Weinstein crack when he was presenting the Oscars, saying that some of the nominees would be safe from his advances now they were known names.

McFarlane tweeted about this yesterday as if he was trying to make himself a bit of a hero and, quite rightly, people were saying why didn’t you just go to the authorities instead of making jokes about the situation.

9 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

McFarlane tweeted about this yesterday as if he was trying to make himself a bit of a hero and, quite rightly, people were saying why didn’t you just go to the authorities instead of making jokes about the situation.

I'm guessing it was similar to the situation in the UK when guys like John Lydon and Jerry Sadowitz were calling out Savile. It wouldn't have mattered if they'd gone to the police, the police knew about it anyway and people of influence would have stonewalled any investigation until they decided it was fine to do something about it.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And yet by the sounds of it, McFarlane done more than any of the victims did. The woodwork is currently teeming with folk crawling out of it and we arent talking low profile people with zero clout either. Has anyone gave Angelina Jolie a load of scud for coming put after the fact?

How much clout did they have when Weinstein harassed or assaulted them?  Also, Weinstein had power over these women's careers, listen to him in the recording that was published in the New Yorker - "you don't want to ruin your friendship with me over five minutes".

Just now, Bairnardo said:

She likely sidnt feel able or strong enough back when it happened, but If she felt strongly enough about it to come and speak now, why not 5 years ago when she was (still is) probably onw of the most powerful voices in Hollywood and married to Brad Pitt.

What exactly did anyone expect Seth McFarlane to do about it thats more constructive than what he actually did, which was to take an industry open secret and out it on the biggest stage for the public? I would still contend that ahort of being able to go to the Police and say you were assaulted, what he did was pretty big. He is still a bellend for shouting about it now to grab attention, but at least he shouted about it beforehand too.

Tina Fey wrote jokes about it in 30 Rock as well.

I think that victims of sexual assault/abuse often just want to get past it and not dwell on what's happened to them.  But now that it's come out that this happened to significant groups of people they feel they can and should share their experiences.   Also, in a lot of industries it will come back on you significantly if you raise a fuss or accuse well connected people.  That's just a fact.  In this case, the person who told McFarlane about Weinstein was Jessica Barth, who requested that he didn't confront Weinstein or anything else.  That's the issue in a nub, people knew what was happeneing, nobody wanted to rock the boat and it took the environment to change regarding sexual harassment (from the Fox News scandals in the US, Saville here) for people to write about this and be believed.  The fact that Weinstein's power in the industry has reduced significantly since the 1990s is also a big factor.  It's unlikely he could've killed people's careers today they way he previously did, although he did seem to get the Ronan Farrow story kicked off NBC into the New Yorker.

All in all, I think blaming the victims for not doing things at the time or going back when they felt powerful enough to do something about it isn't fair.  That isn't how people react to these situations and this behaviour.

Johnny Rotten's made a career out of being abusive for a bit of publicity; he doesn't deserve any credit because one of his targets turned out to be a monster, in the same way that P&B won't be able to claim preternatural knowledge when a poster does, if fact, turn out to be Hank McCoy.

All in all, I think blaming the victims for not doing things at the time or going back when they felt powerful enough to do something about it isn't fair.  That isn't how people react to these situations and this behaviour.

I completely disagree. I put the majority of the blame at the feet of those he pestered. If a couple of these women had come forward earlier, then dozens of others may have avoided being harrassed and ultimately raped. The most galling thing is that reading a lot of these stories, theres an underlying theme and thats that these women wouldnt report him in case it affected their careers due to his powers in Hollywood. Is fame really that much of a neccessity that the women would willingly cover up sexial harassment and rape just to make sure you 'make it' in films etc?

10 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I completely disagree. I put the majority of the blame at the feet of those he pestered. If a couple of these women had come forward earlier, then dozens of others may have avoided being harrassed and ultimately raped. The most galling thing is that reading a lot of these stories, theres an underlying theme and thats that these women wouldnt report him in case it affected their careers due to his powers in Hollywood. Is fame really that much of a neccessity that the women would willingly cover up sexial harassment and rape just to make sure you 'make it' in films etc?

It's possible they were afraid of losing more than their careers. 

14 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Possibly, however thats not the reason they are portraying in these interviews, tweets etc

While not as menacing as the threat of being 'offed', a few off them have mentioned his legal team. I would imagine the threat of being destitute, in a nation where personal wealth is paramount, to be enough to keep them quiet.

32 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

That's incredibly unfair, IMO. The women you're talking about have suffered unimaginably traumatic experiences, the likes of which will generally leave them:

a) feeling internally vulnerable, cheap, dirty, ashamed, weak (these are all words the women in question used), etc; and

b) fearful of either destruction of their lives (careers, public image, financial stability...all a lot more important than you're giving credence to), or escalation of abuse.

Neither of those feelings are precursors to taking on one of the most powerful men in not only their chosen profession, but the entirety of the United States, a man who had already gone a long way to destroying their lives and could do much, much worse.

There should be no blame on anyone other than Weinstein in this case, victim blaming is rarely (if ever) appropriate, and certainly isn't in this instance.