Harvey Weinstein

ICTChris

Im not victim blaming. Of these dozens of women, there are only maybe two or three that are claiming he raped them. I can fully understand the womens reasons for not wanting anyone knowing about these attacks. My point was more aimed at the women who he tried it on with and turned down his advances despite him walking about naked, asking for massages, kisses etc. Its all well and good calling those people now coming out as 'brave' but i consider that the easy way out. Brave wouldve been reporting his behaviour to either the police (depending on the degree of his behaviour), or shouting from the rooftop in the media/social media calling him out

Put a different way, if it was a female member of my family that he had tried some of that shite with, he wouldve been immediately reported to the police, before i met him in a dark alley to make sure he didnt do the same thing to anyone else

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

That's incredibly unfair, IMO. The women you're talking about have suffered unimaginably traumatic experiences, the likes of which will generally leave them:

a) feeling internally vulnerable, cheap, dirty, ashamed, weak (these are all words the women in question used), etc; and

b) fearful of either destruction of their lives (careers, public image, financial stability...all a lot more important than you're giving credence to), or escalation of abuse.

Neither of those feelings are precursors to taking on one of the most powerful men in not only their chosen profession, but the entirety of the United States, a man who had already gone a long way to destroying their lives and could do much, much worse.

There should be no blame on anyone other than Weinstein in this case, victim blaming is rarely (if ever) appropriate, and certainly isn't in this instance.

Spot on.  There are somethings in this world where there is a clearly defined right and wrong.  We should never accept excuses for the wrong; we should never be apologists for the wrong either.

6 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Im not victim blaming. Of these dozens of women, there are only maybe two or three that are claiming he raped them. I can fully understand the womens reasons for not wanting anyone knowing about these attacks. My point was more aimed at the women who he tried it on with and turned down his advances despite him walking about naked, asking for massages, kisses etc. Its all well and good calling those people now coming out as 'brave' but i consider that the easy way out. Brave wouldve been reporting his behaviour to either the police (depending on the degree of his behaviour), or shouting from the rooftop in the media/social media calling him out

Put a different way, if it was a female member of my family that he had tried some of that shite with, he wouldve been immediately reported to the police, before i met him in a dark alley to make sure he didnt do the same thing to anyone else

Why do you think they didn't shout it from the rooftops of the media (social media didn't exist when much of this happened)?  Weinstein managed to get stories spiked about this last year.  When these allegations broke he had a team of high powered lawyers and 'crisis management' PR people around him (not that you'd guess from his statements).  He had the ability to pay off people and it's easy to sit on a message-board and say "I'd never take the money or sign a non-disclosure" but you haven't been in that situation.

Also, you talk about if this happened to a female member ofyour family (it doesn't have to be females of course, Terry Crews story shows you that) you'd be out battering them and being Billy Big Baws about it all but do you think being like that helps?  Women deal with low level harrassment all the time.  I have quite a few female friends and I know that they've experienced this in their jobs, in personal lives, in education.  Turning it into a huge deal every time is exhausting, it just becomes something to deal with.

17 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

What do you suggest, round them up and lift them for failing to report a crime? Your last comment is of the type that discourages reports of sexual crime. That last thing a victim wants is a vigilante drawing more unwanted attention. 

I'd just like to join the fearless ones in condemning this monster, along with his colleagues and business partners who until he was exposed as a beast and stopped being a threat had absolutely no idea what he was like, honestly.

It wasn't just that he could ruin careers. He was also rumored to work with the tabloid media to expose any skeletons in your closet if you crossed him. That might give even well established stars who had already made a ton of money pause about talking. 

I also love the part in the Weinstein statement posted about how Hollywood types are the compassionate ones because of 9/11 and Katrina fundraisers. I always assumed those are essentially industry parties where you happen to raise money on tv. 

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

5 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I put the majority of the blame at the feet of those he pestered.

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Im not victim blaming.

9 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I think you would agree theres a world of difference between pestering people for sex and actually raping them

He's been accused of harassing, groping and sexually assaulting people, as well as rape.  As detailed in this thread he masturbated in front women, exposed himself to them and pressured them into massaging him or watching him shower.

9 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I think you would agree theres a world of difference between pestering people for sex and actually raping them

Right.

But there's also a world of difference between being pestered in a public place by a stranger or someone of equal standing, and being pestered in a private area by someone who has massive power to make or break your future prospects. The second is closer to the same predatory behavior of a rapist, but without the physical force.

2 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Right.

But there's also a world of difference between being pestered in a public place by a stranger or someone of equal standing, and being pestered in a private area by someone who has massive power to make or break your future prospects. The second is closer to the same predatory behavior of a rapist, but without the physical force.

Like that "grab 'em by the pussy" guy?

Just now, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Right.

Weinstein has been accused of raping women.  Also, physical force is very much a part of his crimes, he is a very large, intimidating man.

Although, given bodybuilding, ex-NFL player Terry Crews has reported being sexually assaulted by a Hollywood player maybe the phsyical nature of these crimes isn't as important as people might think.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Twinkle is definitely a predator. What a victim blaming scumbag. 

When Roger Ailes was busted, social media was awash with McSpreader types claiming the puir wee soul was just a victim of the leftist feminazis in the meeja. I get the impression Twinkle thinks Weinstein is getting a raw deal out of all this. Just bantz like.

The reason hes eventually been caught is that a few actresses have came out to the New York Post. My point, (whether or not its been argued well) is that its just a shame they hadnt came out sooner to avoid others being victims to this monster

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

He's been accused of harassing, groping and sexually assaulting people, as well as rape.  As detailed in this thread he masturbated in front women, exposed himself to them and pressured them into massaging him or watching him shower.

But apart from that...