Lootboxes, pay to win etc

EdgarusQPFC

On 10/18/2017 at 19:57, Mackie The Staggie said:

This has to be the peek....I mean it can't get any worse than this can it?  Activision Researched Using Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

While it's pretty shady, it's not entirely surprising.  At the end of the day, they're a company that is there to make money, and I can definitely see where the benefit to something like this comes from a company perspective.  Microtransactions are, unfortunately, the future for most companies.  Why bother spending millions making a 10-hour experience when you can build a bland open-world filled with opportunities to have a constant stream of income? 

The seethe this is generating isn't surprising either, but it's easily solved - just don't buy products that are using it, or anything Activision make.  Find it hard to get really that mad about a company trying new things to make money when the choice is all on the consumer.  If a huge number of people were to vote with their wallets and refuse to buy because of this, then the companies would be forced to change their behaviour.  But people will rage, and then they'll still buy it.  I just watched Jim Sterling's take on it (guess what he thinks?) and looking at the comments on the video, it's like they've killed their pets or something.  Questioning the legality of it etc.  It's a dick move of a way to make money, but then so are a lot of very profitable things. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, forameus said:

The seethe this is generating isn't surprising either, but it's easily solved - just don't buy products that are using it

This is what it all comes down to. There are millions of folk who hate microtransactions but will buy the products anyway. Nothing is going to change until people stop buying them.

10 hours ago, forameus said:

While it's pretty shady, it's not entirely surprising.  At the end of the day, they're a company that is there to make money, and I can definitely see where the benefit to something like this comes from a company perspective.  Microtransactions are, unfortunately, the future for most companies.  Why bother spending millions making a 10-hour experience when you can build a bland open-world filled with opportunities to have a constant stream of income? 

The seethe this is generating isn't surprising either, but it's easily solved - just don't buy products that are using it, or anything Activision make.  Find it hard to get really that mad about a company trying new things to make money when the choice is all on the consumer.  If a huge number of people were to vote with their wallets and refuse to buy because of this, then the companies would be forced to change their behaviour.  But people will rage, and then they'll still buy it.  I just watched Jim Sterling's take on it (guess what he thinks?) and looking at the comments on the video, it's like they've killed their pets or something.  Questioning the legality of it etc.  It's a dick move of a way to make money, but then so are a lot of very profitable things. 

I think he's wholly right to be angry about it. Gaming is a huge industry and guys like Jim Sterling are massively passionate about the medium. He knows that people buying into this sort of nonsense will only further serve to make this practice seem OK, not only to unethical arsehole companies like EA, Activision and Ubisoft but the fear is that the decent companies who generally offer good quality DLC like CD Projekt Red and to a lesser extent Bethesda will eventually take on the 'well everyone else is doing it' approach. 

Bethesda are up there as well. Havent made a good game since Fallout 3 and now still riding Skyrim to milk more money out of that. They tiptoed around paid mods too before it blew up spectacularly. 

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think he's wholly right to be angry about it. Gaming is a huge industry and guys like Jim Sterling are massively passionate about the medium. He knows that people buying into this sort of nonsense will only further serve to make this practice seem OK, not only to unethical arsehole companies like EA, Activision and Ubisoft but the fear is that the decent companies who generally offer good quality DLC like CD Projekt Red and to a lesser extent Bethesda will eventually take on the 'well everyone else is doing it' approach. 

the thing with the activision piece there, is there really anything wrong with them targeting certain people with what is essentially certain ads, so they see you like using a sniper rifle, so pair you with or against someone with a need to be paid for super duper sniper rifle, all that they are doing is advertising a product, television have been doing it for years

ive played SW Battlefront for almost a year now, i paid for the season pass early this year on a PSN deal, got me all the maps etc, and for months on end i seen guys with better guns, items etc, i could have paid for them to catch up with them but i didnt, others might, its their call, i certainly didnt hold it against EA for selling shit what i can unlock over time

i do have an issue if certain things arent unlockable unless you pay for it no matter how you do in a game, so far ive not played a console game yet that does this, a number of mobile games do (marvel future fight is good for this, however they also have one of the best PTW setups out there imo), and with episodic content, it would simply come down to how much you get per episode, the FF7 remake will be a big show of this, i remember FF7 being over 3 discs, id happily take them releasing the 3 disc content over say 4 pieces given its a complete graphical remake etc, anything over 5 pieces and they could be ripping the piss

On 13/10/2017 at 09:06, forameus said:

I used to, but I used to enjoy FIFA as a game.  Think I got 15 due to it being the first one Thistle were in, but since then they've just not been enjoyable.  I don't have an issue with those that buy it on release day, but the ones that call it "FIFA day" and put up some TOP BANTZ on facebook about what they do with the old disk can get right to f**k.

The people who post pics of the new Fifa having a seatbelt on it after a midnight release are pond life.

I suppose the worst example of this that I have used is hearthstone.  Yes it’s totally free to pay and you can even buy the expansions just by doing your dailies.

But when you have a decent deck and the meta changes it’s too easy just to slap down £20 on packs.

Threw a tenner into the online currency for Ghost Recon Wildlands to buy some of the optional cosmetic stuff. Really don't mind doing that when I'm enjoying a game and it isn't in loot boxes or that kinda BS. 

On a side note. The makers of the WWE games got an absolute bollocking from fans when the realised the game was gonna have micro transactions and loot boxes so they basically kept the system but you can't spend real money to unlock it all. Pretty apparent they will try this kinda shit next year. Apparently like 70-75% of the moves, clothing options etc can only be unlocked in these random drop boxes

On 20/10/2017 at 12:41, GiGi said:

Bethesda are up there as well. Havent made a good game since Fallout 3 and now still riding Skyrim to milk more money out of that. They tiptoed around paid mods too before it blew up spectacularly. 

It's back, the so called creation club. Paid for mods that aren't as good as the free ones. 

The week it was released the most popular new mod was one that hid the creation club options from the main menu. 

Used to have the biggest respect for Bethesda, they were up there with my favorite studios, but they just seem to be going from shady practice to shady practice these days

• 5 months later...

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-04-19-the-netherlands-declares-some-loot-boxes-are-gambling

Have never used any Lootboxes or pay to win stuff and never will. This looks like a good step though as some companies are increasingly keeping core content behind paywalls

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-04-19-the-netherlands-declares-some-loot-boxes-are-gambling

Have never used any Lootboxes or pay to win stuff and never will. This looks like a good step though as some companies are increasingly keeping core content behind paywalls

It's not really to do with hiding core content. That's more to do with actually classifying lootboxes as a form of gambling without the same warnings and regulations that other mediums would be subject to. It is a good thing just not on the same page as p2w mechanics.

Archived