Vietnam

AberdeenHibee

Guys and girls,

Strongly considering Vietnam for May/June 2018. I have only been to Hong Kong and Bali in Asia before, so keen for Vietnam from what I've heard and seen. Big consideration though is that I am going with my girlfriend who has never been anywhere outside of main European countries/USA...so want it to be reasonably comfortable if that makes sense?

I am wondering, what is the best way to travel Vietnam, given we will be there for two weeks? Train? Buses? Planes? 

Thanks all!

Well worth a visit, been twice both times to Ho Chi Minh with a short break to Hoi Anh, only regret is not seeing more of the country, if i ever go back i will be trying to take in more.  Flying is definitely the best way  and probably the only sensible way to travel the country.  Be prepared though never felt heat like it in my life, so humid.

Fly into Hanoi. Do 3 days there, then head out to Halong Bay, do an overnight on a boat in the bay. Then back to Hanoi airport and catch a flight down to Hue, 1 or 2 nights will probably be enough there, but the Citadel is a must, then take the train down to Hoi An for 3 nights. Hoi An is probably top 3 in the places I've visited in my life, and I found a beer in a bar for 4,000 dong, or 13 pence by today's exchange rate.

Lastly, fly down to Ho Chi Minh City for a final 3 nights, and if you find the time, head down to the Mekong Delta and sail down the rive to try some elephant ear fish.

I absolutely loved Vietnam, would go back tomorrow.

Great responses so far, cheers guys. 

I see internal flights from, for example, Saigon to Hue, are an earth shattering £36...unreal!!

Out of interest, are there any "nice" areas where I can (affordably) get a private villa for two or three nights and chill during the day for massages, maybe some surfing etc? For example in Bali I was able to get private villas with my own pool, huge palatial bedrooms and bathrooms for like £50 a night!

I'm not so sure about an abundance of private villas available for rent, it's still a communist country after all. However there has been huge development in the likes of Da Nang since I lived there. Plenty of beautiful beaches in Vietnam, but if your looking for a few days to get away from things, Phu Quoc would be a place to look at. Not so sure if surfing will be great in Vietnam but your best bet would be Mui ne for that.

Fly into Hanoi. Do 3 days there, then head out to Halong Bay, do an overnight on a boat in the bay. Then back to Hanoi airport and catch a flight down to Hue, 1 or 2 nights will probably be enough there, but the Citadel is a must, then take the train down to Hoi An for 3 nights. Hoi An is probably top 3 in the places I've visited in my life, and I found a beer in a bar for 4,000 dong, or 13 pence by today's exchange rate.
Lastly, fly down to Ho Chi Minh City for a final 3 nights, and if you find the time, head down to the Mekong Delta and sail down the rive to try some elephant ear fish.
I absolutely loved Vietnam, would go back tomorrow.

This is a pretty good itinery. I'd second this.

Just jumping in here to say Vietnam is my favourite country I've ever visited with NZ. Hoi An being a highlight. Such a great wee city with a tremendous old town. Go on a cycling tour if you go there. Goes through the paddy fields where you see farmers, water buffaloes etc. Also get to dice with death cycling on the famous Vietnam roads. Crossing them is an experience in itself.

Also, I preferred Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh. More character. Nha Trang if you're looking for beaches is good. Big skyscrapers along the front make for a very modern beach destination. Full of Russian people. Depends on your outlook whether that's good or bad

I love Vietnam (was last there earlier this year). Lots of good suggestions already provided, especially travelling by plane. It's way quicker and very cheap most of the time. I was even getting good prices booking a couple of days before the flight.

I wouldn't say Vietnam is all that good for beaches, though there are plenty of pleasant places by the sea. Danang is ok but nothing special in my book, unless you go really upmarket. Same for Nha Trang. But it depends what you like - they are cities with beaches, so a bit different to some of the other places in Asia.

Hanoi seems to get mixed reviews, but I think it's great. I also second the Hoi An recommendations. I didn't like Hue as much, but maybe because the weather was shite when I was there. The weather varies a lot across Vietnam, so check out each region at that time of year when you are planning. There can also be a bit of Dengue fever about, so check the latest news on that.

I'll throw in some restaurant recommendations that might suit your situation: 

Wrap & Roll chain have good, cheap clean Vietnamese food - there are a few in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh

Ngon Villa in Hanoi has an all you can eat menu of really nice local food. You basically order small plates of all the stuff on their menu, as often as you like. The cheapest of the three options is fine. Good place for an upmarket romantic dinner.

Propaganda in Ho Chi Minh is near the presidential palace and some other attractions. Interesting environment and good Vietnamese food. Like Ngon Villa, it tends to be full of foreigners, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of other chances to try street food and cheaper local places.

Hoi An - Loads of beautiful places to eat, though the food varies. I like a place called Home.  Morning Glory is the best known, and you will feel like a real tourist waiting for a seat outside, but the food is good.

Archived