Terrible Jobs

Because I was about 18. Because we worked in a group environment and encouraged each other to do such stuff, we thought it was funny.

it was the only source of power, other than quitting our jobs, we could exercise over bosses in the office who we perceived shafted us at every turn.

Some of you lot seem to have lived some sheltered lives.

I worked in McDonald’s for a year at 16 and never for a second was it ever discussed to tamper with someone’s food. Never mentioned.

I’m all for covering a sleeping man on the train in tomato sauce but to spit in someone’s food is actually a fucking disgrace.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I worked in McDonald’s for a year at 16 and never for a second was it ever discussed to tamper with someone’s food. Never mentioned.

I’m all for covering a sleeping man on the train in tomato sauce but to spit in someone’s food is actually a fucking disgrace.

So, it's you Tryfield's looking for.

Trying to think of what jobs I've had.

Paper round - didn't mind it at the time, but it's only looking back that you realise what fucking slave labour it was. An hour six mornings a week, an extra hour on Thursdays, all for about a tenner. f**k that shit.

Outbound calls for a window sales company - got this by accident after a mate of mine worked there and she got me the job. Did two shifts, three hours each. It wasn't working out, that was it. Nothing lost.

Burger King - two years. Mostly shit work but worked with some fantastic folk. Look back on it really fondly.

HMRC - three years working in their New Tax Credits call centre in Livingston. Mind-numbing, depressing, soul-destroying work. Hated every minute of it.

Prudential - two years in their contact centre. This actually started off not too bad, a fair amount of admin / office stuff as well as calls, but then just turned into a typical call centre job.

It was at this point I split up with my ex-fiancee. She bought me out of our flat. I decided at that point if I didn't do something about it I'd be stuck in shite jobs all my life. Went to Uni, got my honours degree, now I teach maths, and absolutely love it. Do a bit of web design as well part-time.

I have had loads of jobs in my time. Some terrific, some not so good. never had a truly terrible job, but the worst I ever had was as a door to door salesman in the summer of 1999. I worked for an agency based in Glasgow , who had a contract with Scottish power. We would go round houses trying to get people to sign up to dual fuel gas and electricity (£20 for every one we signed up) and to Scottish Telecom (£8 for every one we signed up).  

The job wasn't great. Three of us - me, my mate, and his mum's boyfriend, who got us the jobs - took on a town or scheme and divided it up between us. We'd start at about 10, knock on all the doors in the place. Then we'd go back late in the afternoon to the houses where nobody answered. Then again in the evening. Most of the time people told us they weren't interested. Lots of doors closed in the face. Home by 10 pm, then phone the boss with the day's numbers. I wasn't great at the job, so this then included a half hour bollocking. Long, long days, not a great job, lots of travelling and stress. I don't think I ate a proper dinner for weeks. If you didn;t make target by Friday, you had to work the weekends as well.

We worked all over Glasgow, Kilsyth, and the villages in between. For some reason I did well at the telecom boxes, but not the gas. The money was great - for a 19 year old student to be bringing home a couple of hundred quid a week was great. 

After 3 weeks the company changed the payment policy, and we got a flat rate £300 a week. If we sold more than 20 contracts we'd get a commission top-up. My sales fell through the floor - I went from selling 7-8 phone boxes and 1-2 gas contracts a day to virtually nothing. They brought me in for more training, which was fine by me - still getting paid! But after about 6 weeks or so I jacked it in. I was exhausted, I didn't like the nightly shouting matches with the boss. I had no life of my own, at all. I hadn't had a day off or a decent meal in ages and wanted a rest.

That is the only job I ever had that I can honestly say I wouldn't go back and have a go at for a week or so. 

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

And that's the most glaring indictment so far....

I think plenty would be delighted if that was the worst they'd managed, unfortunately most people don't even realise when they've done shite to others.

5 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

An average UK washing machine is about 65-70kgs apparently. I know lassies at 8 stone that could squat that for reps.

What a bunch of weaklings you must be thinking that a grown adult might be capable of carrying that on his back. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I'm not passing comment on whether or not you've done the things you've said, but there's a world of difference between squatting reps on a barbell (that's shaped to allow people to lift and move it and that's already raised to the appropriate height to begin) with and picking a dead weight off the ground that's not been designed for easy manoeverability.

I used to be able to about 140kg, there's no way I could have lifted a large, cuboid, metal box (with no carry handles or evenly distributed centre of mass) dead weight from the floor that weighed even 80kg.

Shocking that someone could potentially lift a bar designed for being lifted with weights on it easier than a bottom heavy cardboard box thats almost the size of them.

Shocking that someone that carried out a task every day could perhaps learn short cuts and techniques that could reduce the time taken to carry out said task.

I worked with a guy that comfortably lifted and carried the largest kerbs about, just a normal guy with natural strength, I think the guy had issues in recent decades as he used to trawl the streets of Ayr at club time looking for cash.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

As big-as-washing-machine -type kerbs?

No, but heavier and straight off the deck, I was 105 pounds at the time so it made quite an impression.

5 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

No but probably about the same weight as one and they’re lifted straight off the ground. I know a boy that can do one under each arm easy. Fellow airdrie fan, biggest guy I’ve ever seen in my life.

There are lots of incredibly strong people out there, when you see folk at 5 foot 6 doing their bench press warm up with 165kg you know they're strong.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Think I'll pass this time, thanks.

You don't need to worry, it'll be a while before I'm in desperation mode.

28 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

No but probably about the same weight as one and they’re lifted straight off the ground. I know a boy that can do one under each arm easy. Fellow airdrie fan, biggest guy I’ve ever seen in my life.

You seem to know a lot of people who are strong. Do you box or something?

You don’t lift it dead weight from a floor as already explained. It’s about how you tip it off the back of the lorry. There are also 2 plastic straps the hold the box in place and support the weight if you wish to use them to hold the weight in place whilst on your back.

So it’s a container for things with straps, are you sure you aren’t just mixing this until with wearing a rucksack? My school bag used to be heavy on the PE days and stuff but I don’t think I’ll win any awards [emoji17]

I worked for Toys R Us when I was a student over the Christmas period and it was absolutely awful.  The number of people who would ask you for advice on what presents to get their Grandchildren was incredible.  How the hell am I meant to know what toy Luke wants for Christmas?  The stockroom staff were awful and absolute dicks to the Christmas temps.  After Toys R Us I worked at Argos which was probably my most enjoyable job. Running around a stockroom all day, listening to music and everybody else was sound.

Most soul destroying job was working for a bank.  I was promoted from Cashier to somebody who would open accounts, issue loans etc.  The sheer amount of pressure they would put on you for loans was incredible.  I remember there was a week when I was moved to run another branch  (in charge of people for the first time) and after 2 days we had hit the weekly overall branch target.  I got a phone call on the Wednesday morning demanding to know why I was so far behind on my lending target for the week.  They were politely told to get stuffed and I had a new job elsewhere just over a month later.

EDIT - I was a paperboy as well when at school.  One route would pay me 2p a paper (once a week) and the other saw me do 6 mornings (1.5 each day as it was the longest route) and was paid £16 a week.

Archived