Terrible Jobs

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The checkout operators in our Tesco never hear me when I say "No thanks" to "Do you want bags/help packing?". Without fail they will act as if I haven't spoken and ask me a second time. I don't know if it's my accent (although I've lived here for 10+ years now) or because I know the question is coming and barely wait for them to finish before answering automatically. Sometimes if the person looks sufficiently not like one of the undead, I will answer "Do you want bags?" with "No thanks, I'll just take the trolley home", hoping they will reply "But the sensors in the car park will lock the wheels if you take it out of the car park" so I can say "That's OK I'll just carry it" and saunter off. So far I have yet to find any willing to engage me in this witty exchange.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 22:27, D.A.F.C said:

I take till workers asking me if I need a hand packing as an insult/challenge.

Its a shit system tbh. Has anyone said yes? I just pack in a flustered state getting stared at by an ever increasingly angry queue. 

Or used to before I went online.

Funny how till workers in Tesco etc can fling items through the scanner like a fucking minigun but when you use the self service it takes about 6 attempts to scan a tin of beans. They're a talented people.

Oh are we moving on to "people who are unable to function in a shop"? That's one of my favourite P&B derivations. Hint: People who stand and watch their shopping being scanned by someone not moving, not saying anything, are significantly more irritating that someone on a till asking if you have bags.

• 10 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:52, Tynierose said:

From the highs of PCcabe to the nadir that is Throbber's chat today.  Might as well log off until next week now.

Sadly missed, imho.

8 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Does anyone have the original cow killing story post?

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:02, Zen Archer said:

Sadly it has, but here's a C&P of the best bit.

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2011 at 17:09, NewBornBairn said:

Worked for two months at a fish factory in Eyemouth - 5am to 9am six days a week tailing prawns (ripping live prawns apart with your fingers) then on call all day to unload the boats as they came in. Can't stand the smell of seafood at the best of times, I was permanently swallowing bile the entire 2 months.

Found myself broke and out of work so I borrowed a set of ladders and went door to door cleaning windows. In January in the middle of a cauld, cauld winter. Feart o heights and standing shivering at the top of an icy ladder washing windows in the snow.

Worst job - worked in a slaughterhouse in Guildford when I was a teenager. I was given a sledgehammer and told to crack the cow's skulls with it. When I asked about bolt guns they laughed and said they didn't have anything so modern. All morning I killed cows. If you didn't swing the sledgehammer hard enough, the cow went fuckin' nuts and tried to break the crush. Hit the thing too hard and the sledgehammer smashed the skull and you got covered in brains. By lunchtime I was knackered, but when I got to the canteen everybody stood up and applauded. Turned out they were having a laugh with the new guy and I could have been using a bolt gun. I walked out and never went back. Didn't even ask for wages.

• 3 weeks later...
My question is, why are people and I mean you fuckers on P&B so up your fucking noses about work, that has to be done. Jobs for all. And as long as they are making a wage to provide what's the probs.
Since I've left school (ha ha) I've been out of work for 12 months 8 of these months working on the side.
I've accepted any job that was going at some times, It leads to better I say. f**k sitting about the scheme, get Oot and do something anything. No job is too low if you have no job

i havent worked in a year but then again i did have a stroke and nearly died! really miss the workplace and as soon as im able ill be looking for one of these jobs that everyone on here seems to think is beneath them. something like stacking shelves that has zero responsibility.

• 4 months later...

I have my fair share of nametags and hairnets:

Paperrun - Mon-sat, about 80 papers, £15 a week.

Zenith Windows - cold calling, trying to scam folk into letting a sales rep enter their home. £3 an hour, plus bonuses.

Space Windows - cold calling, trying to scam folk into letting a sales rep enter their home (headhunted by the ex-Zenith boss). £4 an hour, plus bonuses.

McDonald's - Three years, one as a manager. Best job I had. Great fun with a bunch of folk who were mostly around my age and in my situtation (student part-timers).

Subway sandwiches - got fat due to the sheer amount of "free" sandwiches

Barman - got riddled due to the sheer amount of "free" rides.

Finance - 10 hours a day in front of an excel spreadsheet looking for errors over £5K. Company didn't care about less than 5K. Biggest fuckup I found was when some tool booked 100,000 shares at £100,000 a share, instead of £0.59 a share. Worst year of my life.

15 hours ago, mathematics said:

Zenith Windows - cold calling, trying to scam folk into letting a sales rep enter their home. £3 an hour, plus bonuses.

Space Windows - cold calling, trying to scam folk into letting a sales rep enter their home (headhunted by the ex-Zenith boss). £4 an hour, plus bonuses.

In 2003(?) I was desperate for a job so went for an interview with CR Smith. Quite surprised when I got there to find half a dozen other guys in the room for a "group" interview. Anyway we sat there whilst this woman raved on about Lorimer windows and conservatories and the fantastic commission that could be made. She told us we didn't have to come into the office until lunchtime each day (although the most successful reps were in first thing on their own time. Calls on leads started in the afternoon and could run into the evening - when both husband & wife would be in. The key to making money was to do the pitch, agree a price and leave with a cheque as deposit - whatever happened you should always close the sale.

She then described how just the week before one of her best reps had arrived at a prospect's house at 5pm and hadn't left until after midnight - with a cheque! As she praised his selling skills and persuasiveness, I was thinking how much pressure must the customers have been under when a guy comes in to their house for 7 hours basically demanding a cheque. Then I thought about how much pressure the salesman was probably under that he felt he had to do that.

At this point I interrupted her and said I didn't  think this job was for me and left.  As I was going out the door I heard her telling the rest of them "It's best we weed out the losers early anyway".

I suppose this counts as a terrible job I never had.

19 hours ago, mathematics said:

McDonald's - Three years, one as a manager. Best job I had. Great fun with a bunch of folk who were mostly around my age and in my situtation (student part-timers).

Great jobs thread for this pish.

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

It is scandalous what some of the sales reps would do for a sale.

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

I was thinking how much pressure must the customers have been under when a guy comes in to their house for 7 hours basically demanding a cheque. Then I thought about how much pressure the salesman was probably under that he felt he had to do that.

That's maybe the answer.

No matter how crap I felt my job was, I always had a liveable wage at the end of the week/month.

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

It is scandalous what some of the sales reps would do for a sale.

My 80 year old registered blind uncle was after a new window in his kitchen.

Contacted a firm to get a quote and round came a salesman.

The current window was fine but had a hopper up the top that he struggled to reach so wanted a window that opened sideways.

They gave him a "special today only" price and he had the window installed about 2 days later.

By the time the family got wind of the quote everyone was livid. About 3X what you would expect to pay for that size of window and also not what he asked for as it didn't open from the side.

I pointed out that given the cost there was meant to be a cooling off period to change your mind which explains the hurry to install the thing before he got sound advice.

Even 3 years later I'm still livid the way they treated/conned him. His biggest flaw was he was too nice with too much money.

A salesmans dream sale

Archived