Terrible Jobs

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At our Tesco the checkout staff wear name badges that also give the date they started working there. Once I was served by this inexplicably cheerful-seeming woman who had been working there since before I was born. And I'm in my 30s.

8 minutes ago, nsr said:

At our Tesco the checkout staff wear name badges that also give the date they started working there. Once I was served by this inexplicably cheerful-seeming woman who had been working there since before I was born. And I'm in my 30s.

There's a guy in ours who started in the 80's I'm sure. Unbelievable. He's really slow on the check outs too, you'd think he'd have got the hang of it by now!

13 hours ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

I always feel bad when i'm at disney watching the parades etc they have all the horses in them and have two folks whos job it is is to clean up the horse shit at the back of the parade. Its not so much an awful job but imagine you're telling people what your job is, 'i work for disney' 'yeh im in the big parade they have' 'what do i do? no no im not a prince, im not a dancer, i pick up the horsehit and wave'.

I used to work with a guy at Historic Scotland, who was offered the chance of some overtime at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. He showed up smartly dressed and was given the shovel and told what the job was. He never went back.

On 11/10/2017 at 18:21, G_Man1985 said:

I work in a supermarket. If anything i have a really good social life. I take no work home with me, yeh pay isn't the best but as long as yer not an idiot it's easily liveable plus extra. I also don't need anyone else to look after my kids.

Supermarket is not really awful money to live on.

You may not like it but dosnt mean others won't like it.

Of course may be suited to some people, that's great for you/them.

For me, working a couple of summers stacking shelves actually made me work much harder at getting good grades at school/uni as I found it unbearably full, and even worse had to deal with the public - who are 90% c***s.

As a penniless student I worked in the meat aisle at Sainsbury's Cameron Toll. Highlights included:

- handling the 'value' label whole turkey legs that were less than securely packaged and left me with so much blood on my hands I looked like a serial killer in a bright orange fleece.

- accidentally pushing a cage full of meat into an upper middle class couple, who proceeded to follow me around the shop and glare from a distance, even after my halfhearted shrug of an apology.

- washing the fish shelves. Spent over an hour until I was stinking to high heaven, only for the supervisor to come wandering past and snap "Those aren't very clean!". At least I never got asked to do it again.

Actual highlights were the girl on the produce counter who was as fit as anything, and hiding behind the pallets in the meat fridge whenever my supervisor was rounding people up to go on checkouts.

28 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Of course may be suited to some people, that's great for you/them.

For me, working a couple of summers stacking shelves actually made me work much harder at getting good grades at school/uni as I found it unbearably full, and even worse had to deal with the public - who are 90% c***s.

If I was paid the same as my current job then there are loads of times when I'd rather be stacking shelves than stuck in front of a computer doing dull admin. 

Preferably of course I'd do neither, but I have no qualifications at the moment so have to make do with whatever job I've managed to bluster my way in to. By the end of the year my current job will the one I've had the longest out of the many I've had, beating the previous record of 3 years and just over 3 months that I suffered at the Bank of Scotland call centre which was easily the worst job I've ever had.

My question is, why are people and I mean you fuckers on P&B so up your fucking noses about work, that has to be done. Jobs for all. And as long as they are making a wage to provide what's the probs.
Since I've left school (ha ha) I've been out of work for 12 months 8 of these months working on the side.
I've accepted any job that was going at some times, It leads to better I say. f**k sitting about the scheme, get Oot and do something anything. No job is too low if you have no job

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If I was paid the same as my current job then there are loads of times when I'd rather be stacking shelves than stuck in front of a computer doing dull admin. 

Preferably of course I'd do neither, but I have no qualifications at the moment so have to make do with whatever job I've managed to bluster my way in to. By the end of the year my current job will the one I've had the longest out of the many I've had, beating the previous record of 3 years and just over 3 months that I suffered at the Bank of Scotland call centre which was easily the worst job I've ever had.

My current job has a bit of admin but generally I'm travelling about a bit rather than sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day. Having done a job where I sat at a desk 8 hours a day I personally still much preferred it to having to deal with the public. I found them absolutely infuriating.

6 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

My question is, why are people and I mean you fuckers on P&B so up your fucking noses about work, that has to be done. Jobs for all. And as long as they are making a wage to provide what's the probs.
Since I've left school (ha ha) I've been out of work for 12 months 8 of these months working on the side.
I've accepted any job that was going at some times, It leads to better I say. f**k sitting about the scheme, get Oot and do something anything. No job is too low if you have no job

'Canine Disposal Expert' is more of a hobby than a job

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My current job has a bit of admin but generally I'm travelling about a bit rather than sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day. Having done a job where I sat at a desk 8 hours a day I personally still much preferred it to having to deal with the public. I found them absolutely infuriating.

Ah yes, the public. Scum, sub-human scum. Can't stand them and, unless I have no other option, I won't go back to a job where I have to deal with them on a regular basis. A shambling, moronic mess of humanity that seem to have all the wit of a pine cone. They're awful, what with their bellowing, blank, glassy stares, bovine mannerisms and herd mentality.

'Canine Disposal Expert' is more of a hobby than a job

Its a pleasure.

Yesterday driving to work on my moped. Dog comes out at me to chance, don't think he had the memo from the other dogs.

I slow down (everyone else goes quicker).

Dog is all unsure when I get off the bike and confront him. No time for pleasantries. Grabbed his back hinds and in the fucking river.

Its a pleasure.

Yesterday driving to work on my moped. Dog comes out at me to chance, don't think he had the memo from the other dogs.

I slow down (everyone else goes quicker).

Dog is all unsure when I get off the bike and confront him. No time for pleasantries. Grabbed his back hinds and in the fucking river.

Ffs Slippery, how many is that now?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Ah yes, the public. Scum, sub-human scum. Can't stand them and, unless I have no other option, I won't go back to a job where I have to deal with them on a regular basis. A shambling, moronic mess of humanity that seem to have all the wit of a pine cone. They're awful, what with their bellowing, blank, glassy stares, bovine mannerisms and herd mentality.

So you wouldn't go back to stacking shelves then?

The public with shops are unbelievable, the number who went absolutely batshit mental that a pack of digestives had gone up by 3p (and directed their seethe at someone at literally the lowest rung of the company ladder who has absolutely no influence on pricing) was incredible. Whilst it was frustrating having to take the seethe without being able to call them a c**t, it was secretly quite enjoyable intentionally winding them up more by being as unhelpful and rude as possible.

54 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

So you wouldn't go back to stacking shelves then?

The public with shops are unbelievable, the number who went absolutely batshit mental that a pack of digestives had gone up by 3p (and directed their seethe at someone at literally the lowest rung of the company ladder who has absolutely no influence on pricing) was incredible. Whilst it was frustrating having to take the seethe without being able to call them a c**t, it was secretly quite enjoyable intentionally winding them up more by being as unhelpful and rude a single possible.

When I first worked in a supermarket I was surprised at how many customers seemed to know consumer law, especially around false advertising. 

I very quickly learned that they actually had no idea what they were talking about, especially around false advertising. They just plain make shit up, or at best repeat some bollocks they read online or heard down the pub or wherever.

Like you say it's mental how customers seem to think that the lowest paid guys who do the menial tasks seem to have a massive input in to decisions like pricing and what products are stocked, or even the layout of the store.

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Like you say it's mental how customers seem to think that the lowest paid guys who do the menial tasks seem to have a massive input in to decisions like pricing and what products are stocked, or even the layout of the store.

You do have to wonder what sort of desperate lives these people must live that makes them think it's constructive to vent their spleen on some spotty teenager for whatever slights they believe the corporate world has inflicted on them. My first 'real' job was as a bank teller and we were blamed for everything from interest rates to the content of the current advertising campaign. From the quality of the perforations in the cheque books to the colour of ink in the pens on the counter. My personal favourite was the wee ex-military type who, despite not even being a customer, took it upon himself to come inside and harangue me for 10 minutes because he didn't like the architecture of our building.

"Aye, I'll get right onto fixing that one pal. Head office always consult me on these things."

Archived