Terrible Jobs

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocking that someone could potentially lift a bar designed for being lifted with weights on it easier than a bottom heavy cardboard box thats almost the size of them.

Eta... 90kg flat packed wardrobe.

90kg.... flat packed. Wee Wullie fae the Well just picks it up nae bother.

To be fair is carry that up stairs with ease. A heavy rectangle box is genuinely simple. Folk not getting that you don't need to be Thor to lift things

Basic physics

Worst job I ever had was being TCK's script writer and having to make up lies for him to post as fact. Every time I came up with something he'd tell me "been there, done that, try harder"

I think a lot of kids at school don't realise how many jobs out there are actually fucking shite, and would be soul-crushingly boring to do for any longer than 5 minutes. Hear it quite a lot at school that pupils will just get a job stacking shelves or something like that. Fine doing it part-time while studying but f**k that for a career. I worked next to someone at Burger King who'd been there for 30 years and she just looked absolutely dead. Her daughter worked there too and was a bit of alright, though.
Sometimes think that instead of getting folk into schools who've done quite well we should be getting utter scumbags into school to talk to the kids. "Ah fucked up ma education, am bored as f**k and cannae dae anyhin wi ma mates cause ah've got nae fuckin money and am oan the nightshift for 12 hoors earnin shite money." That'd maybe encourage the pupils to stick in a bit.

It might be pathetic but there is a significant number of people who genuinely enjoy having a simple and repetitive job.

A mundane as f**k job has come up at work(yet a reasonable wage as it requires some minimal organisation/paper work) and people are surprised that I am not interested in it. 'But it's easy', 'you have nothing to worry about' that may well be true, but I'd be slitting my wrists before the end of my first shift.

Just now, parsforlife said:

It might be pathetic but there is a significant number of people who genuinely enjoy having a simple and repetitive job.

A mundane as f**k job has come up at work(yet a reasonable wage as it requires some minimal organisation/paper work) and people are surprised that I am not interested in it. 'But it's easy', 'you have nothing to worry about' that may well be true, but I'd be slitting my wrists before the end of my first shift.

Someone mentioned a woman who had a bucket full of bent nails, a hammer, and a bucket to put the nails in after she'd straightened them. Ideal job for me.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

EDIT - I was a paperboy as well when at school.  One route would pay me 2p a paper (once a week) and the other saw me do 6 mornings (1.5 each day as it was the longest route) and was paid £16 a week.

When was this? I got a penny per paper back in the early Nineties. 250 papers per week through a freezing winter. The insert advertisements were supplied separately, so I had to go through all 250 stuffing them in. Occasionally there'd be a catalogue or similar to go with it, so I'd get an extra penny for each of those, but I'd only be able to carry twenty at a time instead of fifty or whatever, so it wasn't much to celebrate. Did pay for my Sega Megadrive, though. Eventually.

I only ask because I'd hate to think I'd been being ripped off.

6 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

You don’t lift it dead weight from a floor as already explained. It’s about how you tip it off the back of the lorry. There are also 2 plastic straps the hold the box in place and support the weight if you wish to use them to hold the weight in place whilst on your back.

This is

The maximum flat pack weight is 30kg. We regularly carried 2 and 3 at a time to save time. That is exceptionally easy when balanced across your back correctly. Far far easier than walking any distance with a 90kg barbell on your back.

how you

How’s that going to save time if your mate has to try and find suitable parking for a truck before he helps you?

multiquote you

The thread is shit jobs you USED to do. The inevitably of problems in mid to long term is one of the reasons why the job was so shit.

fucking cretin

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I think a lot of kids at school don't realise how many jobs out there are actually fucking shite, and would be soul-crushingly boring to do for any longer than 5 minutes. Hear it quite a lot at school that pupils will just get a job stacking shelves or something like that. Fine doing it part-time while studying but f**k that for a career. I worked next to someone at Burger King who'd been there for 30 years and she just looked absolutely dead. Her daughter worked there too and was a bit of alright, though.

Sometimes think that instead of getting folk into schools who've done quite well we should be getting utter scumbags into school to talk to the kids. "Ah fucked up ma education, am bored as f**k and cannae dae anyhin wi ma mates cause ah've got nae fuckin money and am oan the nightshift for 12 hoors earnin shite money." That'd maybe encourage the pupils to stick in a bit.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Also: assembly lines. I visited the Mitsbushi plant in Livingston a couple of years ago and there were genuinely folk there whose job it was to screw six screws onto an AC unit and then pass the unit along the line, for eight hours a day. f**k that shit.

Can't fathom this either. I don't have the attention span to play a game I enjoy for more than an hour so f**k knows how people can do mind numbing shite for hours a day. Luckily with working in a fairly quiet bookies I can get away with pissing about on my phone, watching TV and reading a book for a good part of the shift. 

I've picked mushrooms And potatoes. Delivered leaflets, milk and newspapers. Sold merchandise in the official secc stalls. All risk free, stress free numbers. Loved all of them.

Also worked pt in the bookies while studying and loved it

My full time job is the worst I've had and I'm handsomely rewarded but would gladly work any of the others above again

Naw ye huvny.

Eta is this part of the Morton trend of letting other posters know that you know who they are?

Lol No, I seen you posting about tjat chippy. I worked on that hellhole gas plant for a number of months. There was a few of you arseholes up there. Mostly current buns to be honest

I'll accept the charge of arsehole tbh but I genuinely dont think I have ever met a Morton fan in my life and certainly not in my professional capacity so I think I am not guilty in this instance. Always here if u want 2 speak about the Shetland times tho x x x

Haha fair dos, the falkirk abuse is only because all you fuckers bite at every turn. 

Anyway, I met a few bairns up there, even a stinking clyde fan (genuinely stinking). I carted a bird from brae 1 night, would rather have had a scallop supper tbh

Eta - I met a few greenock Morton wanks also, joiners iirc

Seen some great battles and my Geordie boss had a heart attack and got airlifted. Hated the place

I worked in McDonald's on 2 separate occasions.

First time was 16-18 year old part time after school and Sundays, good banter and decent pay, never had to worry. Left to do my apprenticeship.

At the end of my apprenticeship I was paid off due to a lack of work. With no company wanting to take on a guy just out of his apprenticeship and desperately needing work I called my mate who was a manager at the McDonald's I used to work in, was able to get me a job doing the cleaning on the nightshift. It was fucking awful, anyone my age (21-23) were either permanently stoned, angry or potential junkies, anyone younger viewed you as a creep and someone who failed in life. Jumped ship as soon as possible and thank god I did. Completely different atmosphere doing it full time.

3 hours ago, Finch road said:

Haha fair dos, the falkirk abuse is only because all you fuckers bite at every turn. 

Anyway, I met a few bairns up there, even a stinking clyde fan (genuinely stinking). I carted a bird from brae 1 night, would rather have had a scallop supper tbh

Eta - I met a few greenock Morton wanks also, joiners iirc

Seen some great battles and my Geordie boss had a heart attack and got airlifted. Hated the place

I think she was dreaming of a gherkin.

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Naw ye huvny.

Eta is this part of the Morton trend of letting other posters know that you know who they are?

I have never met anyone in real life who admitted to being a Morton fan. It's one of those guilty secret things that people don't really talk about in public.

13 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

When was this? I got a penny per paper back in the early Nineties. 250 papers per week through a freezing winter. The insert advertisements were supplied separately, so I had to go through all 250 stuffing them in. Occasionally there'd be a catalogue or similar to go with it, so I'd get an extra penny for each of those, but I'd only be able to carry twenty at a time instead of fifty or whatever, so it wasn't much to celebrate. Did pay for my Sega Megadrive, though. Eventually.

I only ask because I'd hate to think I'd been being ripped off.

Would have been early noughties so you weren't ripped off too badly!

Archived