German cheapo New Years flights

Girth

I’m dying not to be in the UK for New Year.

Cheapest flights are to Dortmund, Bremen, Düsseldorf and Cologne.

I’ve heard Bremen is dull as hell.

Anyone got any experience with those other 3 cities? Do the Germans ‘Go Large’ at New Year Generally?

I was going to go to Tenerife to see a buddy but the flights around then are obscene.

6 minutes ago, Girth said:

Anyone got any experience with those other 3 cities? Do the Germans ‘Go Large’ at New Year Generally?

I was going to go to Tenerife to see a buddy but the flights around then are obscene.

@Stellaboz is your man for Cologne, passed through it years ago but don't remember much. Bremen isn't that bad for a couple of days, depends what you're after, got my cheapest flight there, £3.60 return from Manchester. :lol: Pubs are ok. I'd imagine New Year will be pretty raucous.

I'll tell you more about Duesseldorf tomorrow after my interview. It's in the top 5 world standard of living cities so it should be alright.

Köln is cool, has some nice touristy stuff like The Dom without being particularly beautiful. Lots of parks and the river is beautiful at night. The luvs are generally great too, beer fairly cheap if you drink Kölsch. Even cheaper from the kiosks and you can walk freely enjoying a beer.

There's always something happening here though, be it street concerts or that. Pm me if you want specifics on anything and I will try direct you.
I'd definitely recommend the free English speaking walking tour as well.

Carnival is the biggest thing here though, 11th November. Dunno about new year, will ask.

I won't be here at New Year though, flying home.

Went to Scotland game in Dortmund 3 yrs ago, ended up going to Dusseldorf on one of the nights; much better fun. I know it's not on your list but Hamburg is a cracking spot.

On 9.10.2017 at 18:07, Girth said:

Not really. A shit load of fireworks will be set off at midnight, then most people will piss off to their bed. More or less everyone will be back at work on the 2nd.

Went to Scotland game in Dortmund 3 yrs ago, ended up going to Dusseldorf on one of the nights; much better fun. I know it's not on your list but Hamburg is a cracking spot.

Been before. Tbh, for a bit more money could be worth a return!

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Don't bother with Duesseldorf. The old Town is nice but Köln offers the same and more. There's f**k all to do there, I wandered into a stupid contemporary art museum and felt like chucking it.

Did you get the job?

At least you wouldn't have to live there, easy commute if you're near the railway stations either end.

It's probably a lovely place to stay, but to visit I didn't see too much. I stay very close to a connecting station thankfully.

Archived