Bigger Change Than Just The Manager?

D.A.F.C

Some very good points but imo we need massive changes from top to bottom.

Look at Andy Murray and how much he improved by getting the right coaching and training. None of which came LTA or any UK based company.

Belgium were arguably worse than us a few years back when we flung away a lead against them under Craig Brown. Look at them now.

Chuck money at academies and training facilities and coaches not useless SFA fanboys who steady the ship and let us lose with dignity.

So what we qualify for a tournament, what are we going to do a it? Take a few steps back to go ten forward otherwise it will be the same story again and again. We might as well be getting horsed off San Marino for all the good finishing third does us.

Have a look at the most improved countries over the last decade and tell me it's just down to one manager. Bollocks nobody can do anything with what we have. We punched above our weight this campaign.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at Andy Murray and how much he improved by getting the right coaching and training. None of which came LTA or any UK based company.
Belgium were arguably worse than us a few years back when we flung away a lead against them under Craig Brown. Look at them now.
Chuck money at academies and training facilities and coaches not useless SFA fanboys who steady the ship and let us lose with dignity.
So what we qualify for a tournament, what are we going to do a it? Take a few steps back to go ten forward otherwise it will be the same story again and again. We might as well be getting horsed off San Marino for all the good finishing third does us.
Have a look at the most improved countries over the last decade and tell me it's just down to one manager. Bollocks nobody can do anything with what we have. We punched above our weight this campaign.

Punching above our weight would have been finishing second.

Its not just one manager. We have consistently hired incompetent mgrs since brown, the exception being smith n McLeish. The SFA could not manage to hold onto either so we carried on with incompetent mgrs n now seem to want to keep on that path. Iceland ni n roi are faring much better with similar / worse players but having coaching teams that can tie their own shoe laces.

12 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

That's just completely wrong.  Finishing 3rd means you've won games, which means you've accrued ranking/coefficient points, which means you get a better seeding for future tournaments, which means you've got a better chance of qualifying next time.

It's startling how many people seem to have this attitude of "it couldn't get any worse" whenever we don't qualify.  It could get so much worse.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:19, sjc said:

Project Brave is as flawed as the current system, probably more so by ramping up the cost for the smaller Clubs who presently give more youngsters a chance in their 1st teams.

Also, other than a select few at a "centre of excellence" they offer nothing in terms of coaching development to the thousands of other kids throughout the Country. Not saying a centre of excellence is a bad thing but why not create them regionally and have them competing against one another? Make coaching badges part of the PE teachers required qualifications. 

Agree with almost all but how can you " Make coaching badges part of the PE teachers required qualifications. " Football has no divine right. Why should other sports suffer?  Would it create rugby playing PE teachers with a grudge against football? In my opinion it would be far better to overhaul the qualifications e.g. no coaching card for just turning up. 

1 hour ago, ShiPi said:

Agree with almost all but how can you " Make coaching badges part of the PE teachers required qualifications. " Football has no divine right. Why should other sports suffer?  Would it create rugby playing PE teachers with a grudge against football? In my opinion it would be far better to overhaul the qualifications e.g. no coaching card for just turning up. 

The coaching badges do need an overhaul. I did mine at Cheshire FA in Northwich and whilst it required more than "just turning up", I was surprised (and disappointed) at how basic it was. Even at Level 3.

I was basing football taking presidence due to it being generally accepted as the "National sport" even by the Politians. I get your point though.

On 10/10/2017 at 07:17, dogmc said:

Its not just one manager. We have consistently hired incompetent mgrs since brown, the exception being smith n McLeish.

Really?  I think France results cloud your memory.   Did I imagine the 1-0 defeat against Belarus at Hampden - one of the worst performances I have had the misfortune to pay and watch or the beating in Georgia we took?

37 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

See you again in four years.

We will probably will, aye. Will you still be blindly insisting every one of your arguments is correct despite having them dismantled and making no attempt to defend them?

Yes, there are bigger issues than the manager, namely that we are not producing particularly good players. We've been bumbling along on a set of decently functioning midfielders, the odd intimidating Hampden atmosphere, and late miracle goals.

Some of the next-gen lineups being proposed in another thread are frighteningly thin. McGinn starting FFS.

Really?  I think France results cloud your memory.   Did I imagine the 1-0 defeat against Belarus at Hampden - one of the worst performances I have had the misfortune to pay and watch or the beating in Georgia we took?

We didn't get to 14 in FIFA rankings and pot two for the WC qualifiers by accident. It certainly wasn't perfect but beating france the wc finalists home n away without conceeding and sticking three on Ukraine the qtr finalists is way better than any thing we did immediately prior or since..

When exactly are Messrs Regan and Doncaster going to be held to account for the succession of failures at major championships ?  Notwithstanding the other disasters regarding tv and sponsorship deals and the Rangers saga, this pair must consider the jobs they hold as sinecures. Responsible for nothing and answerable to no-one.

Strachan should have been dismissed well over a year ago for his incompetence at team selection and insolence towards the paying customers. As both those failings seemed to go unnoticed, one dreads to imagine what criteria the interviewing panel will set for the next incumbent. The list of likely lads put forward by the press do not inspire confidence.

I have noticed lately that many fans have come to the conclusion that Strachans obsession with the English Championship and its players, many of whom neither play regularly or are even Scottish, to the exclusion of form players in this country, has eventually seen us fail again at the qualifying stage. I have been pilloried mercilessly for my stand against non Scots playing for the national team (its just my opinion and needn't be agreed with) but whereas the old argument used to be Home v Anglos, at least the Anglos were actually Scots and always playing for the best English top division teams. Nowadays we have had a manager living 500 miles away from his own employment base and completely out of touch with our domestic game, scratching around for failed English players with distant Scottish ancestry, some of whom have never even been in Scotland. This would be bad enough if any of them were any good. On the contrary we had recently Matthew Phillips, a player who looked as if he has never even seen a football before, being shoehorned into the team for 3 games running and contributing absolutely nothing. That's just one example of the complete dross we are expected to put up with which does nothing for the game up here and must cause a sense of dispirit among our own players who have continually been overlooked for representative honours by a myopic dinosaur who has finally been made extinct.

Who would I choose as next manager ? Pay me the salary of those dimwits running the SFA and I will have a look.

2 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

When exactly are Messrs Regan and Doncaster going to be held to account for the succession of failures at major championships ?  Notwithstanding the other disasters regarding tv and sponsorship deals and the Rangers saga, this pair must consider the jobs they hold as sinecures. Responsible for nothing and answerable to no-one.

Strachan should have been dismissed well over a year ago for his incompetence at team selection and insolence towards the paying customers. As both those failings seemed to go unnoticed, one dreads to imagine what criteria the interviewing panel will set for the next incumbent. The list of likely lads put forward by the press do not inspire confidence.

I have noticed lately that many fans have come to the conclusion that Strachans obsession with the English Championship and its players, many of whom neither play regularly or are even Scottish,...

Three paragraphs this time - remarkable restraint from everyone's favourite introverted shortbread tin

23 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I have noticed lately that many fans have come to the conclusion that Strachans obsession with the English Championship and its players, many of whom neither play regularly or are even Scottish, to the exclusion of form players in this country,

Hi there old thing,

can you provide me with a list of the players that Strachan capped that were not qualified to play for Scotland? I'm intrigued as to who these players are that weren't eligible that he was apparently able to get past the SFA and FIFA scrutiny of such things.

thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, Jason King said:

Hi there old thing,

can you provide me with a list of the players that Strachan capped that were not qualified to play for Scotland? I'm intrigued as to who these players are that weren't eligible that he was apparently able to get past the SFA and FIFA scrutiny of such things.

thanks in advance.

He didn't say anything about the players being "not qualified".  He goes a bit nuts on that subject, but as he says, you're entitled to see things differently.  His latest post actually made plenty of sense though.

Attacking him for things he didn't say is rather silly.

It's interesting the starting eleven if you do it by "highest ranked", assuming you follow the conclusion that English Championship is far better than the Scottish Premiership. And you ignore retired players.

Would look like..

McGregor

Paterson - Martin - Cooper - Robertson

Fletcher - Adam

Ritchie - Morrison - Phillips

Fletcher

Wonder how many people would be happy with that eleven

It's interesting the starting eleven if you do it by "highest ranked", assuming you follow the conclusion that English Championship is far better than the Scottish Premiership. And you ignore retired players.

Would look like..

McGregor

Paterson - Martin - Cooper - Robertson

Fletcher - Adam

Ritchie - Morrison - Phillips

Fletcher

Wonder how many people would be happy with that eleven

Celtic probably a special case though - better than Championship level, but hard to say by how much.

Archived