Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

There's a lot of glitches work arounds tbf, this seasons version is a bit better for it though. 

I've got a regen who changes ethnicity every time I load a save though, which annoys me. 

Having great fun on FM this year. Decided I’d go for something a wee bit different and went for a save in the Icelandic League. I went for a team by the name of HK. By the sounds of things, they seem like the United of Iceland, stuck in the second tier and everyone thinks it’s hilarious.

I got them promoted in my first season despite the season preview expecting us to come 8/9th.

Second season was a wee bit boring. Floated around mid table for a bit before eventually finishing 6th. I did however sign a 17 yo regen (Ari Pall Heidsson) for a fee of 6k. Not bad considering I sold him to Wolves the next season for 150k.

This season we’re currently sitting top of the league going into our last game against Breidablik (our local rivals) in a winner takes all type match.

Pros of a save in Iceland:
- Great for introducing Youth
- Boards seem very lenient in terms of requests
- As it’s an obscure league not many big clubs come in for your players
- It’s a very even playing field with no certain winner at the start of the season

Cons of a save in Iceland:
All really to do with money;
- Unless you do well in Europe (i.e final qualifying round or even group stages), you’re bound to make significant losses every year
- Despite most clubs having fair sized fan bases, never much ticket revenue as stadiums are fairly small
- Prize money in league and cups is pathetic (something like 10k for winning the top division)
- TV Income is also crap considering I find I’m on TV almost every second week
- Could be seen as good or bad, but, the league runs from April to October, so there’s a lot of sitting around and waiting

I would recommend a save in Iceland though. Something completely different, especially with the nations rapid interest in football.

It's finally happening in my Cowden mobile save.

My first season in the top flight saw me finish 3rd. 2nd season saw me finish 2nd miles ahead of Rangers but miles behind Celtic.

Season 3 has just 8 games to go and I'm 8 points clear at the top.  The difference this season?  Celtic aren't as good basically :lol:

A few seasons ago I lost my star striker Stephy Mavididi to Huddersfield for just £425K.  In 3 seasons he played about 15 matches scoring 3 times for them before being released.  Now he's back with me and has finally hit some form. 9 goals in 3 games mid season really kick started the season for us.  He's now got 25 goals in 39 games.

I'm getting through the Europa League group stages easily enough and then through the 1st knock out round but have lost to Arsenal (6-1 agg) and PSV (3-2 agg) so far.  I'm improving the team each year but it's mainly free signings of youth players released down in England. I'd say about 8 of my starting 11 have been signed because of this.  Danny Ward in goals has been a huge signing too.

Mikey Drennan is the only player who has been with me since the first season.  His career stats for us are played 243, scored  176 and assisted 73 goals. Love him but he's just not cut out for Europe but there's no way I'm selling him.

EDIT - the league title was won with 2 games to spare.  Currently in August and away to play Basle in the Champions League play off.  Wins over Qaraberg and Bate Borisov getting me to this point so far.  Another summer of signing freebies and decent youngsters sees me with 850K in the transfer budget. Helps that I've sold a few reserve players too and for a couple of selling on fees.

Edited by The Minertaur

Finished my dissertation and exams for uni back on the 27th April, so was itching to get back on this and have done for a couple weeks now. Already posted the earlier parts of my save on here but can't be arsed searching for it so long story short:

• Simmed the first season and took over the team who came up from the LL/HL (happened to be Spartans)
  • Started the season well, in the playoffs in roughly November, before a catastrophic run of 3 wins in 15 games; back in a relegation scrap.
  • Unsurprisingly sacked in April. Surprisingly offered the Raith job just a couple weeks later, they're more or less guaranteed a promotion play off spot in League 1.
  • Take Raith up, get ready for a play off push in the Championship; win the title with a few weeks to spare.
  • Present day (April 3rd 2021), sitting 7 points clear in 2nd with more or less the same squad that I had last season; Celtic strolling towards ten in a row.

Celtic are unstoppable in this save, they're winning every game by at least 3 goals and no matter what form I'm on when I play them I get bent over and shagged senseless. For example, just had a good 7 game unbeaten run, conceding 1 goal in that time, up step Celtic to rattle me 5-0. Started the season playing the 4-2-3-1 wide that served me well so far, changed to a 5-3-2 with wing backs to make use of the good CBs and CMs I had and nothing I do can get the better of Celtic.

Honestly stumped, so frustrating. I fucking love this game.

Edited by LiviLion

I started a save with Falkirk with the winter update and won the championship first season. In my second season I got Darren O'Dea, Faissal El Bakhtaoui, Mark O'Hara and Danny Rodgers on PCAs and signed Blair Alston for 6.5k. We finished 8th with El Bakhtaoui getting 21 league goals. Only played 3 games of my second Premiership season and we've beaten Hamilton 2-0, lost 1-0 to Patrick and beat Celtic 3-2 at Parkhead. In off season we managed to get Ryan Christie on a PCA and bought Brophy for 100k

I have decided to start a new experiment with a Celtic game.  

1. I can only sign Scottish players, so anyone who is declared for Scotland or anyone born in Scotland (meaning Scott Arfield would be eligible).

2. I have used the in game editor to boost the Youth Recruitment value of ALL SPFL clubs to 20 and ALL highland and lowland leagues to 10.

I'm curious to see how I will get on, and how the Scotland team will get on

Having a decent campaign for once.  Started of as Advare in Spanish Segunda B and predicted to end 20th.  Came 9th.  Was sacked after taking a hissy fit for them not going Full Time.  

Next up, hired by Deportivo Fabril (Deportivo B) coming 3rd but could not enter playoffs as Deportivo were relegated to Segunda.  Left then for New York City who were sitting second bottom in the East Conference and took them to the playoff final before being absolutely battered by LA Galaxy.  

After Christmas in the 19/20 season hired by Cordoba sitting 20th in Segunda.   Survived in a must win game on last day in a lose and sacked scenario.

Following season total opposite - won the Segunda on the final day.  

First season in La Liga ended 5th after losing first 3 games qualifying for the Europa League.  Second season was even better - winning the Europa League, and ending runner up in the league.   

I've a club legend who bangs in 15+ every season, I've an 18yo Scottish International whos scored double figures this season, and I just spent £3m on  a third choice striker.

Couldn't turn the chance to sign this guy down though. £70k.

Has to be one the biggest bargains I've ever got on FM.

Untitled.thumb.png.f6c697f8ee88d9787ac8ff7ee6520fd6.png

Still doing well in my second top flight season with Raith, 3rd in my Champions League group halfway through, and 2nd in the league (2 points behind Celtic). Hopefully I can stay close to them as long as possible, and eventually have enough money in the bank thanks to Europe that I can eventually mount a proper challenge. They are managing to beat the likes of Barcelona and Napoli in their Champions League group though so I've still got quite a long way to go before being able to properly compete with them I think.

In my attempts to sign a Scottish right winger to replace Patrick Roberts ended up getting me...... Chris Cadden, who has scored 4 goals and gotten 4 assists in 3 European qualifiers!  My first choice was actually Ryan Fraser but he signed for Burnley instead.  I've also bought Ryan Gauld, Calum Paterson, John McGinn, Lewis Vaughan (who I have shipped on loan to Hearts) and, for bantz, Jason Cummings (who hasn't been very good yet lol)

13 minutes ago, The West Stand said:

Any good save recommendations? Can't find one that enjoying recently.

Depending on what kind of game you like to play there are a few options.  Are you someone who likes saves that develop young players?  Or the challenge of trying to build a team with little to no money?  Or trying to bring a big team to glory?

On 6/2/2018 at 14:43, Matty-RCFC said:

Try something out of the ordinary. I recommend another country. Eastern European saves are something different.

Sochaux in Ligue 2 is a good shout as well, they have a bunch of good youth prospects