Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

8 games to play and I'm 6 points up on 2nd place Dunfermline in my quest to get Dundee United back to the Premiership.  Last couple of games have been a bit rocky, particularly as my main midfield playmaker, Sam Stanton has been injured and Fraser Fyvie tends to play poorly but my last game was a great comeback 3-2 win over St. Mirren thanks to two late goals involving subs, first Billy King nodded in the equalizer in the 87th before Patrick N'Koyi got the winner a minute later thanks to a lovely Archie Thomas pass.  I've also got a Scottish Cup quarter-final replay at Easter Road to contend with after blowing a 2 goal lead against Hibs at home in the original game.  Oh and got a pretty tasty looking regen class

image.thumb.png.bde69605fbe9af2e6e2287647b88adf4.png

Edit: I also really hope I can seal promotion before anyone notices that Mark Durnan is available on a free.  I really want to keep him but the c**t won't re-sign as he wants to play in the Premiership so hopefully I can get promoted and keep him.  I'll still need to bring in defensive reinforcements, Luca Gasparotto and Coll Donaldson (who I brought back from ICT at the end of his 6 month deal) are my depth at Centre back and will NOT be good enough for the Premiership

Edited by senorsoupe

I need advice lads. I played a season with Partick Thistle. I finished 2nd in the league (No great signings). Connor Sammon scored 35 goals for me. I'm in desperate need of a target man. I've qualified for Europe. Hearts want 300k for a 31 year old Sammon.

How do I justify that?! I can't find anyone else and whilst he's shite I know he works well in my team.

Advice lads. :(

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I need advice lads. I played a season with Partick Thistle. I finished 2nd in the league (No great signings). Connor Sammon scored 35 goals for me. I'm in desperate need of a target man. I've qualified for Europe. Hearts want 300k for a 31 year old Sammon.

How do I justify that?! I can't find anyone else and whilst he's shite I know he works well in my team.

Advice lads. :(

I don't normally play with Target Men but Denny Johnstone may be an option, at least give him a scout 

Due to a combination of injuries and players on International duty I had a pretty depleted squad for a crucial match at home against Dunfermline.   15 year old regen Alan Lachlan was on the bench and with 15 minutes to go and the game tied at 0-0 I had to bring him off the bench.  

You just know what happened next a lovely pass from Scott McDonald to the youngster about 15 yards out, get in!!!!.  The youngest Dundee United player and youngest ever goalscorer at 15 years 302 days has put me 14 points up with 5 games to go.  I'll book Dundee United's ticket back to the top flight with a point at Cappielow or if Dunfermline drop points at home to Queen of the South in the next gameweek on March 31st. 

image.png.9e52c670116e9f9e24283403aff05fbf.png

Edited by senorsoupe

Final table, Falkirk made the promotion playoff final but blew a 2 goal first leg lead against Partick.  Meanwhile St. Mirren managed to hold off Ayr to stay in the division.  Recruitment time, need a goalie, a centre back and then will see who else I can get that is good.  Tried to get Matthew Kennedy on a free from Cardiff but his wage demands keep going up, also going to try to land Danny Wilson on a free if I can.

image.png.1b251ccb93ba6c3ca59ff4e022e7fcea.png

Started a Salford City save after watching all the tv programmes of the past few years. Won the northern conference at a canter then led the conference from start to finish (almost). Hartlepool came with a late charge and pipped me to the title. We then chucked a lead away to lose our first home game in almost two seasons in all comps losing 2-1 to Eastleigh in the play off semi final. Played to November and was sitting mid table waiting for a decent job to come available as my stock was pretty high. Hearts who were bottom of the Premiership by 4 points came available, I applied and was given the job of keeping us up. Easy peasy I thought but it was a real struggle and I just about managed to avoid 11th. Thankfully Ayr in the play offs were rancid and pumped them 7-1 over two legs. 

The next season was a complete rebuild that didnt really get off the ground and I was again bottom come about November and really fearing the sack. The table was fairly tight though and managed to get up to around 8th by the January window. Step forward the messiah Eddie Nketiah 31 goals in 22 starts between January and May meant a Scottish cup final and European football through a 4th place finish were mine.

Next season I was much improved and was always within 4-6 points of Celtic at the top before a late collapse meant I finished a distant 3rd. Rangers winning at Celtic park on the last day to get the champs league second spot. Got to Finals of the Scottish cup and the betfred losing to Celtic on both occasions. Also made it to the last 32 of the Europa league before losing a classic 8-6 on agg. In the first leg we went in 3-0 down at half time only to roar back and win 5-3 with 4 goals in the final 15 mins. 

I'm now into 2022/23 and was given a transfer kitty of £11.5 million and had 60k wages free. I have signed Daishawn Redan and Eddie Nketiah permanently on bosmans  after two year successful loan spells. Redan is knowhere near as good as in some other saves I have seen. Still too good for the Scottish Premiership though, signed an Aussie regen who looked decent but would have been 5th choice striker or so I thought (I play a two striker system and like to have options). In his contract demands he asked for the number 9 shirt as well as 25k a week. I managed to get him down to 14k a week with some tasty performance related clauses. He banged a few in in pre season friendlies and was looking the part before the squad numbers  were released. That day he loses his shit over not being given his promised number. I try to convince him that it was an error and hopefully he can forgive me. He can't and that day I receive bids in excess of £4.5 million and about £3 million of it upfront. Needless to say he is now a feyenoord player and a young promising striker is now the 5th choice striker. 

Having fun roving the planet, started as unemployed before taking on Persiba in Indonesia and got them relegated in the first season. Jumped ship to Annapurna who had just been promoted to the Chinese First Division and signed Sol Coulibaly who led us to 3rd in my first season and the title in my second. Before I could take Annapurna into the bright lights of the Chinese Super league, the job came up at Quanjian and I simply had to take it as they had a transfer budget of £40m. Axel Witsel done his cruciate early on and Erik Lamela wanted to leave, so out he went and in came Mario Ballotelli, Anthony Modeste and Gabriel Jesus.

Modeste is an absolute beast. Pushing 32 now but he has a quite incredible 27 goals in his last 12 games (5 of which I subbed him off after an hour) and 33 for the season and is making a mockery of the league he plays in. Ballotelli has 20 in 21. Safe to say, we're stoating the league and I'll stick about for a crack at the AFC Champions League before moving onto Africa or South America.

So I ended up winning the domestic double after beating Celtic 4-1 in the Scottish cup final. Lewis Morgan scored a first half hattrick so I'd pretty much won the thing by half time.

Summer signing plans haven't quite gone the way I hoped -Emil Hansson has signed a new deal at Feyenoord and they want £6.5 million for him. Benjamin Rollheiser was after £20k a week to sign permanently also, so both are now out of my reach. Fortunately, I've still got Hansson on loan so I'll keep trying to get him and Millen Baars/the Korean regen look more than capable of replacing Rollheiser. I have signed Marlon Frey to compete in midfield and Callum Smith as my third choice striker. He's not likely to play much, but the only other option I had who could play upfront aside from Sterling and Isma is Ryan Christie. I'm still considering bringing in another defender as Grant and Shaughnessy are only just recovering from their long term injuries now and I've only really got 2 other first team options at centre back

I've started this new season on fire. I drew San Gwann in the first round of the Champions League qualifers and won 22-0 on aggregate. Steau Bucharest came next and won both legs 4-1, so a beautiful wee 8-2 victory. I've beaten AIK of Sweden in the third round 3-1 on aggregate and I've now got Salzburg - who I beat twice in the Europa League group stages last year -  in the play-off round to reach the group stages. I won the first leg 3-2, although I missed a penalty at 3-1 up and the 2nd leg is next up. Speaking of missed penalties - I've had 4 so far this season and missed every single one of them!

Got off to a flier in the league too - 3 games, 3 wins. 3-2 at home against Celtic, 4-1 away at Thistle (Doolan got his obligatory goal of course) and a 4-1 win at home against County.

I've got 3 games a week right up to the first International break so I'm having to utilise the squad much more this season to avoid injuries.  

After a solid start to the season it's all gone a bit pear shaped for me as I've now lost 5 of my last 6 games and have only one win in 8.  Patrick N'Koyi's goal scoring has fallen off a cliff and Declan McManus hasn't picked up the slack.  Paul McMullen, Mark Russell, and Craig Sibbald are my only consistent performers.  I've also signed Jay Spearing on a free to see if adding a ball winner to my midfield will improve things.  

12 games in and am 9th

image.png.dda9b8abf8ccde1331a1bd28ddf6a2db.png

Mid-march and my Inter side has turned the corner. Sold Rannochia which moved Icardi up to a Team Leader, and he's got eleven goals in the nine games since. 

Also I'd recommend Diego Reyes from Porto. I got him in January for £1m and about £40kpw, not bad for a ball playing defender. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also I'd recommend Diego Reyes from Porto. I got him in January for £1m and about £40kpw, not bad for a ball playing defender. 

I'll second the Reyes recommendation.  I signed him for my Celtic save in 2020, payed more than 1M but still a class defender

I'm starting to think that I actually may not be very good at this game.  I have a Liverpool save where I am cheating using the in-game editor to buy players and make existing ones better but I'm still pish.  I'm sitting 9th in the Premier League, on the verge of getting knocked out of Europe completely and all of my stars are generally not performing.  Despite all the attacking talent we still can't score and I concede bucketloads of goals despite having spent like 200 million quid on centre backs and a goalie

I usually hate the Brazilian league system in FM due to having to play around 8934 games each season, but I do love their State Championships, which pit the best in the region against absolute haddies for a few months of the year.  As such, I'm planning an alternative league system for Scotland that mirrors this.  

"States" will be modelled around local councils, and every club currently in the database will be involved.  For the first half of the year (middle of August to middle of December) you're playing against sides local to you (unless you're in the Highlands) and then the normal league system will start in January (but obviously reduced, probably just 2 rounds of games rather than 4.  Also having the Scottish Cup be a largely open draw from round 1, with only a few getting a bye to round 2.

Anyone be interested in it if I ever get it finished?  Doubt it'll have the polish of some of the excellent databases released, but gives something different than the standard 38 game seasons.  Not sure anyone would be able to resist such clashes as the Maryhill Classico between Thistle and Maryhill FC and the McGrory derby between Celtic and St. Roch's.  

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I usually hate the Brazilian league system in FM due to having to play around 8934 games each season, but I do love their State Championships, which pit the best in the region against absolute haddies for a few months of the year.  As such, I'm planning an alternative league system for Scotland that mirrors this.  

"States" will be modelled around local councils, and every club currently in the database will be involved.  For the first half of the year (middle of August to middle of December) you're playing against sides local to you (unless you're in the Highlands) and then the normal league system will start in January (but obviously reduced, probably just 2 rounds of games rather than 4.  Also having the Scottish Cup be a largely open draw from round 1, with only a few getting a bye to round 2.

Anyone be interested in it if I ever get it finished?  Doubt it'll have the polish of some of the excellent databases released, but gives something different than the standard 38 game seasons.  Not sure anyone would be able to resist such clashes as the Maryhill Classico between Thistle and Maryhill FC and the McGrory derby between Celtic and St. Roch's.  

This sounds kind of fun, I would probably give it a go.  If I can't win anything with Liverpool or Dundee United in normal circumstances I'm sure I can beat St. Roch's with Celtic!  Or maybe pump Cambuslang Rangers