Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

Here were the final standings, St. Johnstone managed to barely survive beating Inverness 1-0 on aggregate in the playoff final thanks to Kenny McLean extra time winning penalty.  I was able to win the treble beating Motherwell 8-1 in the Scottish Cup final thanks in part to a Ryan Christie hat trick.  I'll be signing Divock Origi on a free transfer but a lot of big English teams are circling my young stars like Kieran Tierney and Alexander Isak

image.png.1c013e060d139b8701a44debf9684346.png

Edited by senorsoupe

Don't understand this game sometimes. In a group of death in Europa league and yet have beaten Apoel nicosia and Anderlecht away from home and drawn against Galatasaray.

But back home i'm 10th in league, i'm out league cup last 16 against partick, Been scudded off Qots 3-0 at home and lost twice to dundee.

Squad rotation must be unsettling the team. 

Managing Como 1907 in Italy, up to Serie B now and probably one more season at most away from pushing into Serie A.  Using a narrow 4-3-3 and some of the attacking play is wonderful to watch.  Proper Kevin Keegan era stuff with three forwards bearing down on back-lines, often all combining to score.  I know some VL on the official boards will probably tell me that it's because the ME can't handle 3 striker formations, but it's great fun to watch us be incredibly top-heavy and batter our way up the leagues.  Our defence is absolute guff, and we're regularly caught out - we're the high scorers in the league, but have to go down to something like 18th to find as bad a defence...we're 3rd), and we're having to win high-scoring games by the odd goal, but still great fun.  

I think I have set my own personal FM record (across all games) for biggest margin of victory on aggregate.  In the first qualifying round of the Champions League against HB Torshavn I won 24-0 on aggregate, 13-0 in the first leg away and 11-0 at home despite having completely different starting XI's including a bunch of academy lads in the second leg.

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

So I just signed this guy from Independiente, looks like he will be a pretty tidy player for me.  Stuart Armstrong may not be as pleased lol

image.thumb.png.ff6bfc4ccd20ba3f25542f246eecac51.png

What was your brexit like ? 

I have just gone for 55, I did better than Rangers have managed so far. 

1 minute ago, Broony88 said:

What was your brexit like ? 

I have just gone for 55, I did better than Rangers have managed so far. 

It hasn't happened from what I can see.  I've certainly seen no impact on my operations as over the summer I signed a pair of Italian full backs with no WP issues.  

Going back to this lad, I only paid 4 million quid for him (beating Porto to his signature) and he's already valued at 10M.  Unfortunately he only lasted the first half of his debut at Aberdeen, he picked up a knock and I replaced him with Ryan Christie at half time

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

It hasn't happened from what I can see.  I've certainly seen no impact on my operations as over the summer I signed a pair of Italian full backs with no WP issues.  

Going back to this lad, I only paid 4 million quid for him (beating Porto to his signature) and he's already valued at 10M.  Unfortunately he only lasted the first half of his debut at Aberdeen, he picked up a knock and I replaced him with Ryan Christie at half time

I have Paulo Henrique from Santos that plays in the AMC role. Guy is an assist machine with 19 and 12 goals in 39 games. I have taken the club into a bit of debt by going out the champions league and in to the Europa currently sitting 7 million in the red but the champions league tv money, the money for winning the league and Scottish cup final will sort that out. 

Whoops  I deserved that lol, lost the Scottish cup final on penalties after I bombarded them but couldn't score. Was 3-1 up in the shootout and chucked it. 

Just caught up up with the EPL my Dutch regen striker who was on fire is now worth £63 million and managed 4 goals in 32 games. :lol:

Edited by Broony88

After my roaring start to the season with the O’s I started to have poor spells throughout the season. Finished 5th which secured me a playoff spot. 2nd all the way down to 8th was very close while Tranmere Rovers romped there way to the title. Beat Macclesfield in the final to gain promotion. Was then strangely headhunted by Aston Villa who had an extremely poor season in the championship finishing 16th. They’ve still got absolute shite like Gabby Agbonlahor, Alan Hutton and Micah Richards wasting away in the reserves. About 250k of the wages was being paid to duds. First job before preseason is getting rid of all the diddies.

The amount of money that has changed hands with my Celtic team is incredible this transfer window.  Here is my transfer history so far and I imagine I will be able to get a lot more transfer money soon with this Barco kid probably going to fetch 20-30 Million and my Wonderkid Striker Alexander Isak going go get me at least 30M.  Despite all this I still managed to lose to Dundee in the league

image.thumb.png.82e48b3f794cf423ad61c2a88fe842a1.png

I took the Wales job and suddenly my club results suffered badly. Losing 5-1 to Hibs was horrible. I quit Wales before I even managed a game for them. I subsequently went back on a winning streak. Don't know if that's just coincidence or if taking the Wales job meant I wasn't as focused on club football. Glad we're back to winning ways again. Celtic are undefeated and out of sight so I'm going to make 2nd spot ours.

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

The amount of money that has changed hands with my Celtic team is incredible this transfer window.  Here is my transfer history so far and I imagine I will be able to get a lot more transfer money soon with this Barco kid probably going to fetch 20-30 Million and my Wonderkid Striker Alexander Isak going go get me at least 30M.  Despite all this I still managed to lose to Dundee in the league

image.thumb.png.82e48b3f794cf423ad61c2a88fe842a1.png

The money you get given from the board is fairly unrealistic but with shrewd investments the money comes tumbling in.  Three seasons in a row I sold players for over £100 million peaking in 2021/22 with player sales @ £140 million but I spent £96 million re topping up the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

The money you get given from the board is fairly unrealistic but with shrewd investments the money comes tumbling in.  Three seasons in a row I sold players for over £100 million peaking in 2021/22 with player sales @ £140 million but I spent £96 million re topping up the squad. 

The game also has Premier League teams asking stupid money for players.  I tried signing Paddy Roberts from Man City after his loan deal ended but they wanted 90 Million for him!  

I'm in mid November and second in the league and go to Ibrox next. They are top by a point but it's more down to me having a really poor start. This is the 13th game of the season and this will be our 8th away game. Lost to Hibs, hearts and Dundee away. 

Just managed to sign a 31 year old lukaku with 19 finishing, 18 Strength and 15 for pace. He is running amok so far in his first 5 games has scored 6 goals and made 3 assists. He was worth £21.5 million but managed to get him for £10.5 million. I actually signed him thinking my Brazilian regen was offski but Bayern didn't meet what I was asking for him so I have them both and Ezequiel Ponce as third choice. 

Dis St Johnstone team :wub:

I'm now in February of the second season and I'm 1 point behind the leaders Celtic. Isma and Sterling are both on 17 goals each and I've managed to sign Ryan Christie on a pre-contract to replace Liam Henderson , who I assume will leave at the end of the season.. Morgan is still 2 months away from full fitness, but Hanssen and Baars have filled in brilliantly for him. 

The scorelines in my games are normalising a bit now too - in my recent run of 6 straight wins, I've only conceded 2 goals and indeed only a further 2 goals in the games prior to that. Joe Shaughnessy and Peter Grant have formed a very decent central defensive partnership, so much so that I have sold Steven Anderson to Hibs. He's not the only player to have left in the most recent transfer window - Maclean (who is retiring at the end of the season) went to Raith and Scougall has left to join Hearts. The 3 played a grand total of 0 first team minutes this season and fetched £300k so was quite happy to take the money. 

I have a very young squad, certainly considering what it was 18 months ago, particularly noted in the starting 11;

Zander Clark (26)

Callum Connolly (20)

Joe Shaughnessy (26)

Peter Grant (24)

Brian Easton (30) - his long term replacement is Harry Toffolo (23)

Scott McTominay (22)

Liam Henderson (22)

Hanssen (20)

Millen Baars (19)/Lewis Morgan (22)

Kazahiah Sterling (20)

Isma (27)

I'm in a better position this season to maintain form as I have more quality depth than I did before, even though I'm running with a smaller squad. A lot of the dead wood is now gone, with a core squad of around 20 all able to challenge for starting places.

Suspect I'll finish closer to Celtic this year but still behind them. They've been beaten 3 times recently (including in the Scottish cup, so a realistic chance of a cup double for me) hence why I'm only 1 point behind right now.