Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

A new cult hero is born - Millan Baars - the 19 year old loanee brought in from Man United to boost squad numbers - has come into the team and has scored 4 goals in 5 games from the left wing. A glut of goals from everywhere really has me maintaining top spot after 8 games - 7 wins and 1 defeat to date, although Celtic have an identical record and I'm only 1 goal better off. The highlights being a 3-1 home win against Aberdeen, 4-1 away win against Hearts (I think that's now 12 goals I've scored in 3 matches in away matches against Hearts) and a 2-0 home win against Motherwell (who are currently 3rd). Rangers at home next and they're using the cheat code narrow 4-3-3, so I expect I'll lose.

I've managed to sneak through to the semi finals of the league cup, beating Aberdeen on penalties after a 1-1 draw. I've got Thistle in the semi final. All the big hitters are out, so we've got a great chance of winning a trophy.

Edit: I turned down the chance of an interview at championship Reading and asked for a new contract on the back of that as my current deal expires at the end of the season. That request was turned down because I haven't shown that I have earned it yet. Fucking Steve Brown.

Edited by Kyle

24 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Beat Kaunus 5-1 in first Europa league qualifier on aggregate then lost 2-0 to Molde at home only to win 3-1 on return leg. Got Lokomotiv Moscow next, be a struggle.

No getting the star ratings. Got a good scout and he saw the guy as 5 star potential then when i sign him fans are disappointed and potential is 3 now?

Was it a recent scout report or was it a few months old? Or had your season expectations changed?

The star ratings is based on what you are expected to achieve for the season. So if you were to fight for a top 6 place when the report was done and you then bought the player in the summer and your new expectation was to qualify for europe, the potential would then go down to reflect your expectations.

Or your Scout has had a nightmare and you need to give him a boot in the pie.

Beat Kaunus 5-1 in first Europa league qualifier on aggregate then lost 2-0 to Molde at home only to win 3-1 on return leg. Got Lokomotiv Moscow next, be a struggle.
No getting the star ratings. Got a good scout and he saw the guy as 5 star potential then when i sign him fans are disappointed and potential is 3 now?

When he's in your squad it's your assistants rating of him.

Star rating will change over time as your assistant gains knowledge of the whole squad, he gets a better understanding of how players are in relation to others. Always worth holding on to low star players early on, especially if you bring in your own assistant, as after a month you could find he's actually the best in his position.

Lower JA/JP means it takes even longer for accurate ratings, and they also judge players on less. So they could rate a poor striker with good finishing higher than a better all round striker.

Worth remembering.

Managed to sign Niko Kranjcar on a free for Raith, best rated player in the team but not playing with an attacking midfielder so a little bit wasted so far, he's had cameos as a late sub on 2 occasions and has set up some good chances so hopefully can be a player who can win a few games. Won all 4 league games to finish 2nd and set up a play off tie with Airdrie, with Forfar playing Alloa in the other semi-final. Drew 1-1 with Airdrie and Forfar pulled off a bit of a shock and beat Alloa 3-1. 

2-0 win in the second leg got me through to the final, and Alloa made up for their shite first leg winning 3-0 against Forfar. My top scorer Jonny Court got injured against Airdrie and there are only 3 in the squad so changed away from the 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 for the final so my bench wouldn't be striker-less, also gave me the chance to give Kranjcar a proper shot. Didn't regret it at all, set up the first two goals and played a part in the third as well in a 4-1 win. Didn't let them pull off a similar comeback they did in the semis and held them at 2-2 in the second leg.

Will be a bit of a challenge keeping Raith in the Championship, about 80% of the squad are either on loan or 35 years old. After the auld yins have retired and I've released the shite I'm left with a core of half decent young players, got a lot of signings to make though. Already managed to extend Jack Aitchison's loan for another season, was hoping to get him on a free but Celtic must have gave him another year, just need to try again next year. Was searching players I haven't heard about in a while (ex-Livi youths mainly - Dylan Easton, Kyle Lander etc) and came across a guy at some Brazilian side called Lander whose contract is up so signed him and based on scout/assistant manager ratings he looks like a good player, hopefully doesn't turn out shite.

Edited by LiviLion

ANyone else had a player that is really good against bigger teams but pish against smaller ones?  My 26 Million pound Swedish teenager Alexander Isak can't seem to score in the SPFL (2 goals in 7 appearances) but is brilliant in Europe with 14 goals in 9 games including a hat-trick against Benfica!  How can be beat the Portuguese champion defenders but not Ross County defenders!

I just had the freakiest game ever against Barca in the round of 16. In the weeks leading up to the game my fringe players started dropping like flies and only had two subs available for the second leg. Won the first leg 3-2 but missed a penalty and lost a last minute goal at home. They bombard me from the word go but I somehow kept in the game and score in the 89th min to force extra time losing 3-2. I end up getting reduced to 10 men just into stoppage time.  By this stage I'm playing a 3-4-2 with 6 square pegs in round holes. Get a penalty in the 95th minute Lasagna steps up like the first leg and misses. Chambers limps off in the 109th minute so I'm down to 9 men. 

Set up with 8 outfield players in my half and had to bring on my sub keeper outfield to replace chambers. Barca miss 4 pens in the shootout and still win. :o

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is there a skin out there that resembles Fm 17's layout a bit more? The amount of clicks to do stuff, particularly whilst in a game is infuriating me.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't, been a huge deal made out of the new layout. SI forum would be the place to look at, to start with.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't, been a huge deal made out of the new layout. SI forum would be the place to look at, to start with.

I'd have no idea where to start looking on that forum. I tend to stick to what I know. I'm hoping someone on here uses one and can direct me!

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I'd have no idea where to start looking on that forum. I tend to stick to what I know. I'm hoping someone on here uses one and can direct me!

Fair dues, honestly can't say I can see one anywhere on there or on the workshop, which is surprising, as there was plenty of complaints about it. The new features, with last years interface, would have made a near perfect game I reckon.

15 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

ANyone else had a player that is really good against bigger teams but pish against smaller ones?  My 26 Million pound Swedish teenager Alexander Isak can't seem to score in the SPFL (2 goals in 7 appearances) but is brilliant in Europe with 14 goals in 9 games including a hat-trick against Benfica!  How can be beat the Portuguese champion defenders but not Ross County defenders!

I'm having precisely the opposite problem. Struggling to get anywhere near Rangers or Celtic in individual matches, but win most matches my team play. It's frustrating because I'm never far away from their points totals.

Started another season with County, and this time going a lot better. Coming towards the end of January and sitting in sixth, but had a couple bad results of late, mainly due to an injury crisis. Again Michael Gardyne and Andrew Davies are two absolute b*****ds in this, and cause no end of problems. Managed to sell Gardyne, but Davies remains (purely as he is too good to go). Brought in Emmanuel Eboue and he has been brilliant, top of the assist chart for the side. Drawn Inverness away in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup, so looking forward to that. 

Once home, will put up a couple screenshots. 

So my decision to let some centre backs go is biting me in the arse.  In August I sold Boyata (as he was down on the depth chart, influcential, and making a big wage), Lustig (to give more space for the likes of Ralston), and then Sviatchenko (because the offer from Southampton was too good) and replaced them with Chris Smalling.  This left me 4 Centre back options which seemed fine but then in true FM form John Souttar breaks his leg and Scott Brown does his ankle ligaments (meaning I need Ajer for a BWM role) leaving me with a bunch of tired CB's.

4 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Ordered this last night now that I’m on holiday for Christmas. Usually go Falkirk but I’m thinking of a new challenge, might try a lower league Italian, Spanish or German team, any suggestions?

I have heard Sochaux from French Ligue 2 is a good option.  Good youth facilities and a lot of good young players.  

Had an incredible second half of the season which has culminated in me getting top six, and also making the Scottish Cup Semi Final where I will play Dumbarton. Celtic play QOTS in the other tie.

Callum Gribben from Man United and Eddie from Arsenal (screenshot attached) have formed quite the partnership. Can't see me retaining either next season.

Probably sacrifice the league and try and win the cup. 

League.thumb.png.9ea0684d377f109d0e0061086a69a75d.png

Schedule.thumb.png.7516804309eaca1407464ab616f313e5.png

Eddie.thumb.png.07a7a3f104db23e26cbfa068f1901952.png

Eta

Just played the Semi. Dumbarton two up after 10 minutes, then gave away two penalties with on loan Omar Boggle popped away. Went to extra time where Boggle got his third and fourth, before Craig Curran made it five. Celtic horsed QOTS 4-0 to make it through. Big task to win it.

Edited by LondonHMFC
Update

image.png.dd4fb7a1b8125f142f48be9664cc69cc.png

Here is the state of play on January 1st.  I was able to beat Rangers in my last game to give a bit of breathing space.  Lewis Morgan won player of the month for January as he scored some crucial goals in some 1 goal wins in December.  Also finalized some January 1 signings, got Phil Jones from Man United for 6 million, goalie Itumelung Khune for 250,000 from Kaiser Chiefs to replace Craig Gordon who is heading stateside.  Also snapped up a 17 year old regen striker named Craig Soutar from Hibs for 2.4 Million.  He's scored 14 goals for Hibs this season and it's allowed me to sell backup striker Deni Alar to Basel for 1.9 M

On 03/12/2017 at 22:13, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Got shafted 6-0 off Arsenal at the  Emirates and this happened :lol: first time I've seen it quite a funny touch.

refund.thumb.png.7037abbaffd4ffe4072987c6ebea74f2.png

just had this happen to me.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b8c983d145baf9f1e1692e9fd61a3dec.jpg