Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

f**k the Scottish leagues and go Napoli. Fun as f**k.

I’m fucking shite at this game.

I was Napoli....:lol:

Insigne and Maertens(?) just shot from outside the box despite having work ball into the box and shoot less often. 

Down to 5th on GD after 14 games.

Edinburgh City are starting to be my bogey team, just cannot beat them.

Gethins and Connelly both injured and out for 2 months so dived into the transfer market and signed free agent Ross Caldwell. Scored on his debut against Turriff Utd in the Scottish Cup and looks a good addition.

One positive note is that Riordan has found his shooting boots. 3 goals in 4 games (2 of which were traditional Deek style finishes) and showing my decision to sign him was a good one!

Next up is Stirling Albion away....

I’m fucking shite at this game.
I was Napoli....[emoji38]
Insigne and Maertens(?) just shot from outside the box despite having work ball into the box and shoot less often. 

Aye they seem a bit like that [emoji38]

I always find them or Dortmund to be enjoyable, play attacking football and you're sorted. Get that "work ball into the box" shite away, as it'll stop players trying to dribble past defenders

Had a good start to managing Scotland, won my first 2 friendlies and 5 of my 6 Nations League games, drawing the other one. Getting ready to play Denmark away to start the Euro qualifying campaign. A lot of confidence with 6 wins and 1 draw from my 7 games... or not. 

Get to the tunnel interview before the game and get told 'one more defeat' should see me sacked :lol: Drew 1-1 with a late equaliser, Oliver Burke (he's finished) saving my career.

I'm quite liking the new game so far, the in-game tactics screen is particularly slick and I'm getting used to the new scouting system.  I like that they kept the old "player search" function for scouting so you can still look for players to scout the old way (for example searching for Right backs whose contract expires in less than six months or other parameters).  

I'm still doing my Rangers game although I doubt I'll do more than two seasons.  So far I'm in mid September of my second season having already made the group stages of the Europa League and Alfredo Morelos has scored 21 goals in 12 appearances, although 6 of those were in a 13-0 aggregate drubbing of Europa FC in the first qualifying round. 

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye they seem a bit like that emoji38.png

I always find them or Dortmund to be enjoyable, play attacking football and you're sorted. Get that "work ball into the box" shite away, as it'll stop players trying to dribble past defenders

Will give it a shot. Cheers.

Will give it a shot. Cheers.

Good luck! My advice might be no use, I'm also absolutely dreadful at this game [emoji38] feels like the tactics are a lot more important this year, have to nail them early on

David Wotherspoon has just been called up to the Scotland squad.

He's Canadian on my save..

I got Craig Sibbald on a PCA in November of the first season, of that's any interest to you, you should get him easily with you being *so money* and all.

I've got a sixth place and fifth place in my first two seasons. The Challenge is set..

Successful pre season and finished 2nd in the Betfred Cup group. Lost a tight 1-0 to Hibs after Quitongo scored on his debut.  Have been drawn away to St Johnstone in the next round.

A lot of players in Scotland going for big fees right now. I'm hoping Smith becomes a star for me this year. Hibs & Hearts both interested but 120k isn't nearly enough to get rid, especially after seeing the ridiculous amounts being paid for average Championship strikers.

My business in the first window. We're looking decent. Messed about with strike partnerships but Nicky Clark and Andy Ryan is the one that works.
In:
Derk Boerrigter
Tom Hateley
Rocco Quinn
Jordan McMillan
Thibaud Verlinden (loan)

Out:
Joe Cardle
David Hopkirk
Scott Lochhead (loan)

How on earth did you manage to get Hopkirk to f**k? Nae c**t wants him.

How on earth did you manage to get Hopkirk to f**k? Nae c**t wants him.

He moved to a thriving Dumbarton for free. I punted him because it didn't feel right having a player that was no longer at the club. When I checked half way through that season he had scored 10 in 13 for them. They ripped us apart 8-1 at EEP. They lost their playoff games so now they're going for the title in the second season.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Good luck! My advice might be no use, I'm also absolutely dreadful at this game emoji38.png feels like the tactics are a lot more important this year, have to nail them early on

I got Craig Sibbald on a PCA in November of the first season, of that's any interest to you, you should get him easily with you being *so money* and all.

I've got a sixth place and fifth place in my first two seasons. The Challenge is set..

Yeah I checked that last night and it was Canada he played for. 

Has Sibbald been any use? I've had a look at him but I didn't think he was worth the £120k that Falkirk wanted. Might try and sign him on a pre-contract though! St Mirren are after £600k for Morgan which I can just about stretch to so I'm tempted to beat the rush and sign him pre-January scramble. I'm also tempted to cash in on Wotherspoon. His value has sky rocketed to £3.1 million. With that, I could bring in MOH and Liam Henderson permanently and sign Morgan.

Played another couple of games last night and signed Matty Fryatt as a 4th striker. Hopper isn't really making much of an impact and Maclean is having to fill in as an attacking midfielder because Scougall has picked up a longish term injury (4-8 weeks) so only really have Isma up front just now. I did however manage to beat Hibs 3-1 (goals from Henderson (pen), Scougall and Wotherspoon) and drew 1-1 with Dundee (Isma). That's moved me up to 3rd with Hamilton up next. 

Edited by Kyle

Just finished my first season in charge of Atalanta - finished 9th behind Roma on goal difference. Made it to the SF's of the Coppa Italia losing to Lazio and got to the Quarters of the Europa League - beat Ajax 7-4 on aggregate in the knockout round, but went out to Lyon on away goals after drawing 3-3 across the two games.

I spent more than half the season inside the European places, but a disastrous 2018 saw me sink like a stone. I only won 4 games after New Year, with 2 of them coming in the final 4 games of the season. I didn't lose many, but I drew a lot, I ended up finishing with 15 draws in the league. Best results were doing the double over Milan and going unbeaten against Juventus and I only got pumped twice, 4-0 at Napoli and 5-1 at Roma, both early in the season.

I didn't spend a penny on transfers, only bringing in 4 players across the season - Georges-Kevin Nkoudou on a loan from Tottenham, Olivier Ntcham on loan from Celtic, Nicolas Dominguez on a free from Velez and Stefano Sensi on loan from Sassuolo. Only major outgoing was Remo Freuler in January for £18m to Monaco. The summer is going to be murder as I have three of those going back to their parent clubs, as well as Pierluigi Gollini my backup 'keeper, Mattia Caldara who was my best CB and Captain, Leonardo Spinazzola my first choice LB, Bryan Cristante who is probably my best CM and Riccardo Orsolini, who was a bit of a bit part player, but did chip in with about 8/9 goals and assists.

At the season's end I have a transfer budget of about £12m, but I'm way over on the wage budget, so I'll likely be looking at some loans again and scouting for some good players out of contract. There's a few players I can probably shift on for a decent amount of money, so might be able to pay a fee for a couple of good players as well.

The most pleasing thing to happen all season though, was probably Juventus losing out on the title to Inter on the final day by 2 points...when they'd missed a 94th minute penalty against us with 3 games to go, which would have won them the game. ^_^

Yeah I checked that last night and it was Canada he played for. 
Has Sibbald been any use? I've had a look at him but I didn't think he was worth the £120k that Falkirk wanted. Might try and sign him on a pre-contract though! St Mirren are after £600k for Morgan which I can just about stretch to so I'm tempted to beat the rush and sign him pre-January scramble. I'm also tempted to cash in on Wotherspoon. His value has sky rocketed to £3.1 million. With that, I could bring in MOH and Liam Henderson permanently and sign Morgan.
Played another couple of games last night and signed Matty Fryatt as a 4th striker. Hopper isn't really making much of an impact and Maclean is having to fill in as an attacking midfielder because Scougall has picked up a longish term injury (4-8 weeks) so only really have Isma up front just now. I did however manage to beat Hibs 3-1 (goals from Henderson (pen), Scougall and Wotherspoon) and drew 1-1 with Dundee (Isma). That's moved me up to 3rd with Hamilton up next. 

Sibbalds been great for me, played as a DLP, Winger and as the AM and stood out in all positions. Now rated as a leading Premiership player. Definitely worth signing id say, not sure about money wise but I'm sure he's worth around £1m for me after a season.

I also got Coulibaly on a free to solve my striker woes, has 30 goals in 61 league games

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sibbalds been great for me, played as a DLP, Winger and as the AM and stood out in all positions. Now rated as a leading Premiership player. Definitely worth signing id say, not sure about money wise but I'm sure he's worth around £1m for me after a season.

I also got Coulibaly on a free to solve my striker woes, has 30 goals in 61 league games

I searched for him last night but he's not in my game. Large database with all the major leagues in Europe selected too so I was a bit peturbed. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I searched for him last night but he's not in my game. Large database with all the major leagues in Europe selected too so I was a bit peturbed.

Seems odd, I've just got a small database on the go. Never searched for him, just popped up recommended by a scout

Of course I think the new scouting system means you'll only be able to see players within your scouting area, don't think it's a "see all players" situation anymore. You might need to send a scout to find free agent Ivorian strikers to find him

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems odd, I've just got a small database on the go. Never searched for him, just popped up recommended by a scout

Of course I think the new scouting system means you'll only be able to see players within your scouting area, don't think it's a "see all players" situation anymore. You might need to send a scout to find free agent Ivorian strikers to find him

I upgraded my available pack to the one that includes worldwide searches... although that may have been after I searched for Coulibaly. Costs £20k a month but looks worth it.

There's a lot of little touches which make this game so much more playable than last years. The team dynamics and relationship with the squad at large is a great feature. Chris Millar is no longer highly influencial in my squad because of his reduced playing time. David Wotherspoon has replaced him in the hierarchy. It's now Anderson, Mannus and Wotherspoon who you don't want to piss off.

Edited by Kyle

Even my missus commented that the new FM looks a lot cleaner than older versions.

As for the game, I decided to start a Celtic save (done my player scouting/learning save with Rangers) and it's been a bit of a mixed bag of a season.  In European play it's been pretty straightforward, beat Dudelange 11-2 in the second qualifying round, Dundalk 7-1 in the third qualifying round and have a 3-0 over Partizan Belgrade after the first leg of the playoff round.  Domestically however not as smooth.  First league game I laboured to a 1-1 draw with Hearts and then rotated my squad for a Betfred Cup trip to Dundee United, bad move as I lost 2-1, third league game I managed to beat Partick 2-1 but needed a late Scott Sinclair goal to do it.  In terms of signings, I cashed in on Moussa Dembele, getting 12.25 million (plus add-ons for a potential total of 15M) from Lyon for him and am trying to re-invest a bit.  I signed John McGinn, Jordan Archer, Craig Forsythe and Lewis Morgan (loaning the latter back to St. Mirren for the year), plus am in negotiations for a Uruguayan striker, but he is half owned by his agent so will need to negotiate the murky waters of third party ownership.  

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Good luck! My advice might be no use, I'm also absolutely dreadful at this game emoji38.png feels like the tactics are a lot more important this year, have to nail them early on

I just looked him up on Wikipedia and I'm surprised we haven't given him a cap in real life, especially considering we recently called up Fraser Aird....