Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

I've preordered it but that dynamics feature looks awful and the videos make me want to get a refund. Seems like they've just about perfected the main parts of a football management sim but are forced to add in something each year to make it more 'realistic' and justify £30 a year on it.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:59, Mr X said:

That first video is absolutely cringeworthy.

Dynamics looks pish, utter pish. Not just because its a particularly bad idea but the conversations with players is awful and, too often, end up getting railroaded into saying something you dont actually want which pisses them off.

Another absolutely cringeworthy  video.

I've been playing a little of 2016 the past couple of days as i picked it up dirt cheap a while ago and totally forgot about it. I really don't see much of a difference between it and this new one. The UI is fine but they really need to add a better match view, the graphics look like they came from a 15 year old title.

On 10/10/2017 at 12:26, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Made a decision not to bother with this years version. Almost certain to get it from someone as a gift at Christmas and plough hours upon hours into it again anyway.

THERE IS NO ESCAPE

I'm too weak willed to NOT buy FM2018.  I missed the 25% discount period so I guess I'll claim that I'll decide to buy it closer to the time it is release but I know that saying I'm making a choice will be a lie.  

is that Simon Murray moonlighting as a presenter for FMTV?

edit: I do quite like the idea of scouts basing players out of a score of 100 rather than a star system, tbf - allows for more variance between having a good scout vs. a shit scout and the length of time spent scouting players.

Always find it hard to really gauge exactly how much impact my tactical decisions really make to a match. There's times where its pretty clear what you should do e.g. if the opposition have two strikers up front with <=10's for pace + acceleration then defending higher up is a given, similarly going at least slightly deeper if they have >=15 for pace + acceleration, or if you have a 6'5 monster freak as a striking option at the club and you notice that the opposition are having to play a 5'7 16 year old centre half then playing very direct to the big lump as a target man should get a tonne of joy, but stuff like what to do if they have a really unusual formation (Hamilton seem to like to play a weird 5-4-1 diamond with wingbacks that sometimes smashes me) I struggle with.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I watched the initial "rumours" video, which was pretty cringey, particularly from Miles who has gone from being quite a good talker to a really awkward one.  Haven't watched the others, although there seems to be a good mix between people absolutely raging about it, and fairly positive.  

I'll end up getting the game, as I always do, and I'll probably get a decent number of hours out of it over the next year.  I'm sure according to some it'l be the worst thing ever released ever though.

10 hours ago, The Ginger Prince said:

I cannot watch those videos and listen to that c***s voice.

This.

Some of the new tactics and sports science stuff does look pretty good though. Not sure if giving more visibility on injuries is a brave move or a cynical one.

What I really want to see is a return to the tactics screen where you could set the position of each player depending on where the ball was.

I don't even have a laptop as my last one broke a few months back (stood on it, definitely not in a rage), can't imagine that situation will last long once the games finally out and has its first patch..