Choose Juniors

GordonS

A think folk need to lighten up about that banner as I see it as banter,not everybody's cup of tea, a do not believe for one second the Glenafton lads would have been meaning to offend the gay community and for the no surrender bit there's a few wee rhymes that go with no surrender which doesn't mean anything to do with the origin of the saying,one of my favourites come the weekend was no surrender to the three day bender,

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The chassis said:

A think folk need to lighten up about that banner as I see it as banter,not everybody's cup of tea, a do not believe for one second the Glenafton lads would have been meaning to offend the gay community and for the no surrender bit there's a few wee rhymes that go with no surrender which doesn't mean anything to do with the origin of the saying,one of my favourites come the weekend was no surrender to the three day bender,

an apologist speaks.

22 minutes ago, The chassis said:

Nah, sorry.  It's not 1973 anymore.

Unfortunately I'm sure a lot of folk still think that way privately, but attitudes have changed enough that if they put the way they think out in the public domain by hitting out with pish like that banner they're going to get called out on it.

On 09/10/2017 at 00:09, tamthebam said:

59daafed7fbbc_frankobegbie.jpg.a539107548c8d3e13bafe4d2f8401b06.jpg

choose denying THE DEVIL'S ILLUMINATION exists... 

Maryhill v Irvine Meadow XI - Scottish Junior Cup 1st Round

Friday 22 September 2017 KO 19.45 under floodlights.  The most recent of a number of Junior games I have seen under floodlight.

20170922_204132.jpg

With apologies to John Hodge...

Choose league football.
Choose a businessman's plaything. Choose segregation.
Choose deceiving yourself that eleven millionaires you'll never meet will ever give a shhit about your team and aren't trying to get a move to Bristol City. Choose talking like an accountant so you can pretend you understand what the fucck is going on. Choose having your bag searched like you're a criminal and getting lifted for having a can of juice. Choose paying thirty quid to sit in a pishy wee tip-up plastic seat that makes your arrse hurt with legroom designed for a midget. Choose telling yourself that the bampots spewing bile about a religious war in another country that's got fucck all to do with anything in Scotland in 2017 aren't bothering you. Choose stewards with all the brains of a white pudding supper thinking they're special cos they're wearing hi-viz. Choose four quid hot-dogs made of beaks and claws in some shhite-hole factory somewhere, and telling your kids they'll get a drink after cos it's two fuccking pounds for a wee silver pouch of nasty sweetened piss. Choose getting stuck in traffic then parking eight fuccking miles from the ground, and choose not being feart of the wee guy who says "watch your car, mister?" Choose leaving the dog and the wee ones at home. Choose replica gear, club credit cards, official tyre partners, executive boxes, naming rights...
Choose league football. But why would I want to do something like that? I chose not to choose league football. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got the Juniors?

A cheesy wee piece for sure with lots of things that are true but it could also read ;

Choose junior football where you don't know who you're playing week to week , where you at times piss into a makeshift hole in the ground , where you're often playing 4 games per week come season end , where the mention of floodlights give people the shiters, where major cups don't even have a sponsor , where clubs that speak out get picked on , where some grounds are deathtraps ....

Our grade is great at times but severely flawed at other times and if you can't see it you're in denial

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Maryhill v Irvine Meadow XI - Scottish Junior Cup 1st Round

Friday 22 September 2017 KO 19.45 under floodlights.  The most recent of a number of Junior games I have seen under floodlight.

20170922_204132.jpg

bees.png.dd4d6946bc6855878274c17e0048302f.png

not the DEVIL'S ILLUMINATION, not the DEVIL'S ILLUMINATION...arrrgh!

bees.png.dd4d6946bc6855878274c17e0048302f.png
not the DEVIL'S ILLUMINATION, not the DEVIL'S ILLUMINATION...arrrgh!

Devils Illumination
Floodlights
Daylight

Can't remember now but think it was just daylight when we beat you in the Scottish Cup.

Happy to play you under any lighting

2 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Devils Illumination
Floodlights
Daylight

Can't remember now but think it was just daylight when we beat you in the Scottish Cup.

Happy to play you under any lighting

fairy nuff, but if it's at Meadow Park here's a shilling for your meter as I believe money was a bit tight down there for a while

shilling.jpg.87d1fa1ce10c4072435bf4c84a5cc3d2.jpg

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

fairy nuff, but if it's at Meadow Park here's a shilling for your meter as I believe money was a bit tight down there for a while

shilling.jpg.87d1fa1ce10c4072435bf4c84a5cc3d2.jpg

Should keep that shilling, is that the commemorative one from 1949 when Edinburgh City left the SFL, for the first time so far..............

http://www.edinburghcityfc.com/edinburgh-city-fc/

The club played in the Lothian Amateur League during the Second World War and were only admitted to the C Division in 1946. After three more years of struggle, the club left the Scottish Football League in 1949.

The club switched to junior status and played in the Edinburgh & District Junior

League. The club ceased activity completely in 1955, when the local council refused to renew its lease on its home ground, City Park.

1 minute ago, MEADOWXI said:

Should keep that shilling, is that the commemorative one from 1949 when Edinburgh City left the SFL, for the first time so far..............

http://www.edinburghcityfc.com/edinburgh-city-fc/

The club played in the Lothian Amateur League during the Second World War and were only admitted to the C Division in 1946. After three more years of struggle, the club left the Scottish Football League in 1949.

The club switched to junior status and played in the Edinburgh & District Junior

League. The club ceased activity completely in 1955, when the local council refused to renew its lease on its home ground, City Park.

aye, we went junior and then gave up. which just goes to show you.

Just now, tamthebam said:

aye, we went junior and then gave up. which just goes to show you.

Not good enough for Juniors, yes I agree.

As proved by your return to football which has seen you lose to the Meadow in your only competitive game against them.

Thank you for acknowledging how poor your team is :thumsup2

14 hours ago, theshed said:

A cheesy wee piece for sure with lots of things that are true but it could also read ;

Choose junior football where you don't know who you're playing week to week , where you at times piss into a makeshift hole in the ground , where you're often playing 4 games per week come season end , where the mention of floodlights give people the shiters, where major cups don't even have a sponsor , where clubs that speak out get picked on , where some grounds are deathtraps ....

Our grade is great at times but severely flawed at other times and if you can't see it you're in denial

Death traps is a bit ambitious.    :)      you were going great guns up n till then.    :thumsup2

On 10/13/2017 at 09:11, theshed said:

Scheduling is a joke, I was at the Largs - Talbot match last season that was about 2 months after Largs' previous match.  Compared to the downsides of senior football, it's no biggie, though from my relatively outsider perspective it's the worst aspect of Junior football.

You been to the toilet in a Junior ground lately? I can't think of a bad one I've seen in quite a while. Most are better than the likes of Tannadice. 

I know the fixture pile up is silly, and it skews competitions come the end of the season. But the upside for me is more games on sunny evenings after work, instead of freezing cold December afternoons. I had a great time doing a bit of groundhopping last Spring.

My club have just installed excellent modern floodlights, and there are an increasing number of matches being played under the lights. Some auld committee buffers don't like it, but so what.

I can't think of a ground that's a "deathtrap"... the roof at Bathgate has seen better days but apart from that I bloody love Junior grounds. How many Junior grounds aren't clearly superior to dull modern one-stand affairs like East Fife and Dumbarton have?  

Of course there are problems, I was having a bit of fun and singing some praises, not carrying out a deep analysis of the game! Fact is, I came to Junior football in my late 20s, and I wonder if a lot of the dyed-in-the-wool crowd realise, regardless of the problems, how good they've still got it.

For conditions to improve junior football needs to impose a ground criteria system ie each level should have a minimum of facilities.  Clubs would not progress to that level without achieving the set criteria.  These would include floodlights, seating accommodation, standing enclosures, hospitality, changing facilities.  The absence of floodlights is the main cause holding us back. Fixture lists for the full season are urgently required.  We are told that the Scottish Junior Cup makes this impossible.  The  English non league system also has National cups.  These allow for midweek replays.  Postponed league games are also played midweek.  The result is they can fit in 42 or even 46 league games a season.  Most players would prefer a midweek fixture to a second training evening.    We are amateurs in this regard.  Does anyone support the present system?

7 minutes ago, Dreghorn said:

For conditions to improve junior football needs to impose a ground criteria system ie each level should have a minimum of facilities.  Clubs would not progress to that level without achieving the set criteria.  These would include floodlights, seating accommodation, standing enclosures, hospitality, changing facilities.  The absence of floodlights is the main cause holding us back. Fixture lists for the full season are urgently required.  We are told that the Scottish Junior Cup makes this impossible.  The  English non league system also has National cups.  These allow for midweek replays.  Postponed league games are also played midweek.  The result is they can fit in 42 or even 46 league games a season.  Most players would prefer a midweek fixture to a second training evening.    We are amateurs in this regard.  Does anyone support the present system?

What a lovely and inspiring idea . Been in a variety of grounds with a wide range of facilities .Where does the cash come from to improve grounds for this is where everything either stands or falls ? I believe grounds are graded down " souff " and this too impacts on the level you can hope to play at . Not every ground south of the border is a non league San Siro .

It strikes me that quite a lot of the supposed attractions of the Juniors (low price, etc) can be found in the likes of the Highland League  and indeed the SOS league (Hi Kelty, hiya pal!) without the majority of the drawbacks which almost seem to be part of the Junior grade's DNA (fixtures), therefore the Juniors isn't that unique at all. 

Junior fans try too hard to spin the shittier aspects of the grade as some sort of proud labour of love has taken place to preserve a  golden bygone age when they're quite clearly nothing more than the product of a chronic failure to modernise. 

I like the Juniors very much but kidding on it's something it isn't gets a bit tiresome. 

It strikes me that quite a lot of the supposed attractions of the Juniors (low price, etc) can be found in the likes of the Highland League  and indeed the SOS league (Hi Kelty, hiya pal!) without the majority of the drawbacks which almost seem to be part of the Junior grade's DNA (fixtures), therefore the Juniors isn't that unique at all. 
Junior fans try too hard to spin the shittier aspects of the grade as some sort of proud labour of love has taken place to preserve a  golden bygone age when they're quite clearly nothing more than the product of a chronic failure to modernise. 
I like the Juniors very much but kidding on it's something it isn't gets a bit tiresome. 

100% agree. I find this whole ‘support the juniors’ daft. I support my local team and if they were to move to the seniors then I’d continue. If anything, my passion for them would grow.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:44, .Stuart. said:

100% agree. I find this whole ‘support the juniors’ daft. I support my local team and if they were to move to the seniors then I’d continue. If anything, my passion for them would grow.

I think you make a good point sir, but I don't understand why your passion would grow in the Seniors, could you please clarify?

I think you make a good point sir, but I don't understand why your passion would grow in the Seniors, could you please clarify?

Playing in a bigger stage, bigger crowds, better players, no September weekend etc

Archived