Choose Juniors

GordonS

1 minute ago, .Stuart. said:

Playing in a bigger stage, bigger crowds, better players, no September weekend etc

Stuart, even if this were true which in the lower reaches is a matter of opinion, still don't get why your passion would increase. One of my mates is a Killie fan, as well as  Talbot. He described a game versus Hamilton at Rugby park on a wet day, less than 2000, crammed into one small area of a stand, not allowed to move out of it, paid over inflated prices for the catering services, could hardly breath for the over officious stewards, played on a plastic surface which resulted in a dire game and paid £26 for the privilege. Poor fare in a sparse stadium like some sort of dystopian Illustration of footballing banality, passion would have been the last description. No thanks. Any half decent junior venue with two decent sides any day of the week. Having said that, like you I would always support Talbot, even if they took leave of their senses and took the plunge like Kelty!   

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

non-junior isn't just top league Scottish football, it's 99.9999999% of ALL football. Not hard to cherry-pick examples of it's failings with such a wide ranging pool to sample, but equally easy to choose examples where it beats Junior football hands down.

16 minutes ago, Shanner said:

non-junior isn't just top league Scottish football, it's 99.9999999% of ALL football. Not hard to cherry-pick examples of it's failings with such a wide ranging pool to sample, but equally easy to choose examples where it beats Junior football hands down.

Not quite following you there, but I do agree if you cherry pick you can make a case for or against. The thing though about Juniors, at the lower end it might not be that glamourous but it's probably still worth a fiver, £6 to get into Beechwood on Saturday to watch local derby, seat available for an extra 50p pie and bovril all for less than £10, and a right good game and atmosphere to boot. I can't see how anything in the Seniors beats that hands down?

Stuart, even if this were true which in the lower reaches is a matter of opinion, still don't get why your passion would increase. One of my mates is a Killie fan, as well as  Talbot. He described a game versus Hamilton at Rugby park on a wet day, less than 2000, crammed into one small area of a stand, not allowed to move out of it, paid over inflated prices for the catering services, could hardly breath for the over officious stewards, played on a plastic surface which resulted in a dire game and paid £26 for the privilege. Poor fare in a sparse stadium like some sort of dystopian Illustration of footballing banality, passion would have been the last description. No thanks. Any half decent junior venue with two decent sides any day of the week. Having said that, like you I would always support Talbot, even if they took leave of their senses and took the plunge like Kelty!   

The difference would be that going senior would probably hugely benefit Irvine Meadow whereas it almost certainly wouldn't be the same for Talbot.

57 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Not quite following you there, but I do agree if you cherry pick you can make a case for or against. The thing though about Juniors, at the lower end it might not be that glamourous but it's probably still worth a fiver, £6 to get into Beechwood on Saturday to watch local derby, seat available for an extra 50p pie and bovril all for less than £10, and a right good game and atmosphere to boot. I can't see how anything in the Seniors beats that hands down?

That's all true, but on the other hand, choose juniors and see your game postponed when the weathers fine, because of a shitey kickabout that very few are interested in, then when it's re scheduled for the next week, postponed again due to rain.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:44, .Stuart. said:

100% agree. I find this whole ‘support the juniors’ daft. I support my local team and if they were to move to the seniors then I’d continue. If anything, my passion for them would grow.

Correct, we support football clubs, we don't support a grade of football that in reality should no longer exist as a separate entity.

Fixture List, Floodlit games, u20 Reserve League, Prize Money, 3 x possible National Cup entry, Help from SFA in terms of funding, Pyramid with no glass ceiling.

The great Junior clubs, supporters and people who run them ARE Junior football, surely with the above positive additions it gives the club a better chance to flourish.

If  there was a West Of Scotland League that was to slip in beside the EOS and SOS League with more promotion places opened up to the Lowland League, it’d be interesting to see who would be interested.

1 hour ago, Isabel Goudie said:

I doubt anyone would complain about the value for money aspect but that's not exclusive to Junior football. 

Football outside the 100-odd Junior sides is a big wide World and I'd suggest with the utmost respect  that if you can't find a better experience than a Junior match then you just aren't trying very hard.  Not that this diminishes the Talbot experience, but comparing it to some of the incredible experiences that can be had elsewhere does it no favours. 

TBH the bit in bold is an example of the practice I mentioned earlier of kidding on the grade is something it isn't and does it's credibility no good. The "Gradeism" of some Junior fans must be as confusing to outsiders as the Junior name itself. 

4 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Playing in a bigger stage, bigger crowds, better players, no September weekend etc

The September no-fixture weekend in the West Juniors was abolished at this summer's AGM. One of the few aspects of the fixture setting resolution that Scott Robertson has fully implemented.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

I have been to a few of Kelty's away games this season, none of them have charged anywhere near the price of £6.

Some of them would find it difficult to charge admission to what are essentially open 3G cages (Leith/HWU) or corners of public parks - I'm thinking the likes of Peebles, Ormiston and Stirling Uni EoS.

Coldstream was the same until recently, but they've put up a boundary fence apparently...previously all of those were just a bucket collection round whoever showed up.

Chance of promotion to SPFL, entry into Scottish Cup every year, chance to progress as a club - why would any of that not be a benefit to Talbot?
Or indeed any Junior club.

Because Talbot's potential for growth is limited considering Auchinleck has a population of less than 4000 and they have hoovered up every available fan from the surrounding villages.

To go senior would mean they would eventually win fewer matches at whatever level they balance out at, with fewer derbies and even fewer trophies. I can understand why people wouldn't go for it.

Conversely, a club like Irvine Meadow (for example!) play in a town of 40000+ inhabitants, with no senior club in the immediate vicinity. I'm not saying that turning senior is what they should do, but if any club was to do it then they are uniquely placed.

22 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Because Talbot's potential for growth is limited considering Auchinleck has a population of less than 4000 and they have hoovered up every available fan from the surrounding villages.

To go senior would mean they would eventually win fewer matches at whatever level they balance out at, with fewer derbies and even fewer trophies. I can understand why people wouldn't go for it.

Conversely, a club like Irvine Meadow (for example!) play in a town of 40000+ inhabitants, with no senior club in the immediate vicinity. I'm not saying that turning senior is what they should do, but if any club was to do it then they are uniquely placed.

I dont get this, It's not like Scotland town population is massive outside the citys. I dont see why a well run club like Auchinleck could not do well in a senior set up.

In recent years clubs like Alloa, Cowdenbeath, dumbarton and now Brechin have made it into the Championship with crowds of less 1000 home support most of the time. No reason Auchinkleck could not do the same.

Archived