Who should retire?

RedLichtie86

25 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Hanley was very good for us before his move to Newcastle. A big beast of a defender isn't totally unappreciated.

This is a good point.  He and Martin were the most solid pairing we've had in a long time - for a while, at any rate.  Martin's probably not going to play again, but I wouldn't write Hanley off just yet.  They really need to sort out central defence and right back.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given everyone and their dug is playing with a back 3 these days I'd have thought there might be some scope for the national side reflecting that or at least having it as a viable alternative to 4231 or 442.
Some tactical flexibility would be nice tbh.

We played a back 3 against England which didn’t really work, but I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to seeing it again. We have the right personnel mostly, other than a RWB.

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

We played a back 3 against England which didn’t really work, but I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to seeing it again. We have the right personnel mostly, other than a RWB.

Aye, it's one of those systems that you really need players to be familiar with it. You can't really just chuck 3 centre backs on the park and expect it to work which is what normally happens and everyone moans about it. However given it seems to be more in fashion these days and teams are quite effective playing it I'd be up for us giving it a go. It might actually allow Paterson to play RWB and cover the deficiencies on the defensive side of his game.

Ironically it was a back 3/5 we were playing the last time we were qualifying for tournaments. I say we go back to that and have Umbro making the strips again.

In regards to Phillips - I think the masses of Pie and Bov are being very harsh with their comments over a number of threads in the last few days.

1. He had been playing very well for West Brom and merited his call up for the Lithuania/Malta games

2. He was given a start and played very well against Lithuania

3. He rightly was given another start against Malta in which he did 'ok'

Based on the above 3 points, he was rightly called up by Strachan for the most recent double header and I reckon every Pie and Bover would have had him in the squad.

4. He probably earned his start against Slovakia although he didn't have a very good game

5. He probably should have been dropped from starting line up vs Slovenia, he wasn't and had another poor game

Some people suggesting he is 'way out his depth' and 'absolutely pish' are so far off the mark. He may or may not go on to become a regular good performer for Scotland but to right him off after a couple poor games is madness. Majority of the squad have had poor games or a run of poor games at some point in their career for Scotland.

If he is in good form for his club, playing well then he probably merits his place in his squad. The notion we should never pick him again because of a couple of poor games is ludicrous. He has had I think 4 starts in his Scotland career and some are willing to right him off for good.

Archived