Who should retire?

RedLichtie86

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The EPL want to sign him as a LB (specifically Man U); we should be playing him in his natural, most capable position.

And play Robertson where?

IMO shinnie can come in and be a battling midfielder and replace Brown. Defence is worrying. Anyone who seriously thinks J Souttar could step up clearly hasn't seen him play. Only hope at the moment is Lindsay. Folk citing McCrorie are fucking delusional. He may well develop into a good CB but pinning your hopes on one good performance against Partick is stupid.

Just now, Worktheshaft said:

And play Robertson where?

IMO shinnie can come in and be a battling midfielder and replace Brown. Defence is worrying. Anyone who seriously thinks J Souttar could step up clearly hasn't seen him play. Only hope at the moment is Lindsay. Folk citing McCrorie are fucking delusional. He may well develop into a good CB but pinning your hopes on one good performance against Partick is stupid.

Okay I'll play devils advocate - where do you play Tierney when a RB comes along? Play either Robertson or Tierney depending on who is in form at that given time.

49 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Why would we want anyone to retire? Surely, we want the largest pool available to whoever is in charge. Picking them is a different matter.

Because if they dont retire we'll still have sections of the fans clamouring for Brown and fletcher to be selected when they are drawing a pension 

Scotland managers are in a no win situation when it comes to players playing, 

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Because if they dont retire we'll still have sections of the fans clamouring for Brown and fletcher to be selected when they are drawing a pension 

Scotland managers are in a no win situation when it comes to players playing, 

If a manager is upset by fan demands and it is something which genuinely comes into their thinking with issues like this, they shouldn't be in the job.

I feel kinda bad for Hanley in that regarding international experience he hasn't really had the chance to learn off a good centre half, as far back as i can remember we've always had an outstanding centre half (or 3) for young players to learn off

Miller, eck, malpas, gough, hendry, weir all played with older heads who were good at the game,

Just now, harry94 said:

If a manager is upset by fan demands and it is something which genuinely comes into their thinking with issues like this, they shouldn't be in the job.

Nothing to do with the gaffer, more along the lines of the sfa, if the fans turn their back on the team because results are shite, even if the gaffer is trying to implement a long term plan, they will be gone,

We all seen how fucking stupid the fans can be when they chanted strachans name in Gibraltar last tournament, would they have done the same if he binned all the failures that tournament and instead failed to qualify with the best of the under 25's

7 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

I feel kinda bad for Hanley in that regarding international experience he hasn't really had the chance to learn off a good centre half, as far back as i can remember we've always had an outstanding centre half (or 3) for young players to learn off

Miller, eck, malpas, gough, hendry, weir all played with older heads who were good at the game,

Hanley is pish and should never be near the Scotland squad. 

Rugby player trying to play fitba. 

Always find these threads interesting, 12 months ago Strachan was being hounded for not giving Phillips a chance, now he's being hounded for giving Phillips a chance. Can see Cooper/McGregor being similar situations

It will be interesting to see how Tierney develops - he's clearly good enough to move further forward but its also been suggested he's capable of becoming a centre half.  Personally I would prefer the former.

I heard chick young say something weird on the radio on Saturday - that Tierney was capable of becoming our Gareth bale. I thought he meant it as in 'capable of playing for Real Madrid', but the more he went on the more it sounded like he actually meant as a roving forward. Weird!

Guest Bob Mahelp

Within a year I'd like to see a Scotland midfield (taking form into account) of Shinnie, McGregor, McGinn, Brown and Armstrong.....or a combination thereof.

Gordon as keeper, Tierney and Robertson. Patterson if he regains fitness and form. Cooper at Leeds is developing well. 

Griffiths up front with AN Other. Stevie May has started the season well and could be there or thereabouts in a year.

The bones are there (most of them in the SPL)...we just need a manager to knit them together and get them playing.

Going forward our team should be something along these lines. IMO.

Marshall

Tierney (until a RB is found, maybe Ralston?)
Lindsay/Cooper
Hanley
Robertson

Armstrong (captain)
Brown (for as long as he's playing well)

Fraser
McGregor
Burke

Griffiths

Given everyone and their dug is playing with a back 3 these days I'd have thought there might be some scope for the national side reflecting that or at least having it as a viable alternative to 4231 or 442.

Some tactical flexibility would be nice tbh.

50 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Hanley is pish and should never be near the Scotland squad. 

Rugby player trying to play fitba. 

Hanley was very good for us before his move to Newcastle. A big beast of a defender isn't totally unappreciated.

42 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I heard chick young say something weird on the radio on Saturday - that Tierney was capable of becoming our Gareth bale. I thought he meant it as in 'capable of playing for Real Madrid', but the more he went on the more it sounded like he actually meant as a roving forward. Weird!

That'd require a manager at club level willing to do that.  I'd have thought that Robertson would be a better bet to do that.  Both of them would be really shite Gareth Bale impersonators though.  How about we actually play the wingers we do have?  Burke*, Phillips, Fraser, and Forrest are all young enough to improve.  

* Only kidding, he's finished.

Sometimes players come out of nowhere so it's difficult to predict the squad a year down the line.  But hopefully we arrange some friendlies in November - whether that's with Strachan in charge or not. We need to try out the likes of Archer, Cooper, Lindsay, McGregor and Shinnie just to see what the other options are like.

Hopefully one of Paterson and Ralston can have a great season to claim the right-back position. Freeing up Tierney to play the other problem area - central defence. Or even trying out a left-side of Tierney with Robertson ahead.

Archived