Who should retire?

RedLichtie86

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IggyStooge said:

Only problem being that nobody but nobody would accept this with the Euros now open to 24 teams and being far easier to qualify for than the World Cup.

the euros were open to 24 teams the last tournament and most of the current oldies made a james hunt of that campaign, arguably worse than this one when you think about it

surely even the most die hard of scotland fans will think "enough is enough of the3 fletchers, browns mulgrews, berras" get griffiths a partner, get burke, fraser, mcgregor and other early 20's players into the fold properly and not some token gesture while a 32yo who has failed for 4 or 5 qualifying campaigns is pretty much guaranteed a start

We should be looking to phase in younger players that are playing at a decent level but I don’t think we should be counting anyone out. We don’t have that many good options to get rid of players who may be useful back ups or not call them up if they are playing well at club level but are over a certain age. Keep all options open.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Nah, not even close. Brown left far more mid-thirties players when he left.

aye but at least a chunk of them were players who had played in major finals, not one of the current squad has been to a major final, their time is up (the over 30's anyway)

aye but at least a chunk of them were players who had played in major finals, not one of the current squad has been to a major final, their time is up (the over 30's anyway)

You're right, but my point was it's hardly a dad's army Strachan has left behind

Guest DAVIDB69

Simple get rid of all the over 30s fletcher has had about 5 decent Scotland games in about 88, there was a survey a while ago, we were the oldest average aged team in Europe

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

You're right, but my point was it's hardly a dad's army Strachan has left behind

yeah true, i was just putting forward a reason why brown kept faith with them until his squad were in their 50's lol, problem a new manager will have is that if he tries to bin the oldies that have failed consistently, and results arent fantastic right away, the fans will be right on his back clamouring for the 36yo fletcher back, but if he stays with the current squad and fails he'll get blamed for some tactical f**k up when its the same failure players that have failed again

understandably the fans are desperate for success given its 20 years since a major finals, but the fans might need to change their outlook if they want a new manager to change the teams outlook

I'd be tempted to put an upper age limit of 30 on players for the next qualifying campaign, accept that it'll be 2 years of bedding young players in and then aim to qualify for world cup 2022.

Why would we not just play the best players available and y'know try and qualify for the Euro's. We have no idea who will kick on and be in the team for 2022.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Simple get rid of all the over 30s fletcher has had about 5 decent Scotland games in about 88, there was a survey a while ago, we were the oldest average aged team in Europe

Fletcher`s had 2 decent games this week. I suspect he`s managed more than 3 more in his other appearances .

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Who should retire or who will retire?

There's going to be a long list, and some of the best players in that squad are going to chuck it.  

Strachan has so much to answer for.  It's almost reminiscent of the disaster Craig Brown left in his wake.

You have much to answer to.   Your hard-on for Matt Phillips turned the heads of a few roasters, but it only confirms that nobody on here has worse footballing opinions than you.  

Archived