Who should retire?

RedLichtie86

Well thats it folks. Another campaign over with.

It is clear to see that the national side is carrying far too many deadwood and its time to look to younger players to get us ready for the next campaign. The Nations League.

Now which players should retire or not be considered for the national side to free up space?

What players should be called up from now on?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nobody absolutely creaking with age - by that I mean 36+, but of the 30+ers:

Berra: did well for us in this recent run but being 32 and playing for hearts counts against him. I don't see him retiring but I hope we try to phase in Souttar(s) and Lindsay now. Verdict: phase out.
Darren Fletcher played well in the main over the last two games and I think he should be retained for the next Euros as long as he remains an EPL regular. Verdict: keep
Steven Fletcher is fading, but again no point in him retiring. We really only have Griffiths as a convincing, goalscoring forward. Verdict: keep as backup
Snodgrass: lets see if he has another wind in him. His fall from grace has been swift so I suspect he has it in him to return to his previous form. Verdict: keep
Morrison: same as with fletcher. Verdict: keep
McArthur: looks poor in a Scotland shirt. Would much prefer we favoured someone like McGinn. Verdict: phase out
Whittaker: again don't think he'll retire, but he was only really last resort backup. Verdict: phase out
Craig Gordon: flawed but easily better than the alternatives. Verdict: keep
Alan McGregor: would think it would be worth giving his place to another younger keeper alongside Archer. Verdict : phase out

And some of the under 30s:
Bannan: very average and has no pace. Rather his place went to a more explosive player like Burke or McGregor. Verdict: phase out/backup
Anya: limited but often effective player, especially when the rest of the team's heads are down. Pacy and most effective when played on the wing. Brings versatility too. Verdict: keep

Whittaker is getting on and Brown (having already retired then un-retired) would be 35 by the time Euro 2020 came along. That aside I don't see anyone being dropped, although the keepers would be all mid/late 30s which concerns thereafter.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd be tempted to put an upper age limit of 30 on players for the next qualifying campaign, accept that it'll be 2 years of bedding young players in and then aim to qualify for world cup 2022.

We would just leave ourselves with the same old problem of not knowing which players are going to come through (or the bigger problem that none of them develop into players who are actually good enough). 

19 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd be tempted to put an upper age limit of 30 on players for the next qualifying campaign, accept that it'll be 2 years of bedding young players in and then aim to qualify for world cup 2022.

Only problem being that nobody but nobody would accept this with the Euros now open to 24 teams and being far easier to qualify for than the World Cup.

24 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd put a limit on players playing outside Scotland. Hate it when squads have reels of English Championship players. Say - squads have to be all home based players with manger getting 3 picks outwith this. 

Who should retire or who will retire?

There's going to be a long list, and some of the best players in that squad are going to chuck it.  

Strachan has so much to answer for.  It's almost reminiscent of the disaster Craig Brown left in his wake.

Who should retire or who will retire?

There's going to be a long list, and some of the best players in that squad are going to chuck it.  

Strachan has so much to answer for.  It's almost reminiscent of the disaster Craig Brown left in his wake.

Nah, not even close. Brown left far more mid-thirties players when he left.

I'd put a limit on players playing outside Scotland. Hate it when squads have reels of English Championship players. Say - squads have to be all home based players with manger getting 3 picks outwith this. 

This is the problem with the TAMB shutting down, all the cretins have slithered over here

Would go along with this, think the next euros will be pish, dotted all over the place

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Burke, Fraser, Christie, McGregor, Armstrong, Tierney, Robertson got to be potential core of next generation squad

For a second I thought you were referring to Chris Burke... :o :lol:  

Archived