Slovenia Vs Scotland - Official Match Thread

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I don't know. We got the first - brilliant - goal with the 442, but tbh we looked really out of sorts for most of the first half and failed to get a grip of the game in midfield. Looked like Slovenia would run right through us more than once during that period.

4231 with a press might have been more predictable, but it's what has worked for us recently, and it would have left us with Martin to come on ~60mins as a plan B. 

In any case, I think the Martin->Anya substitution made sense at 0-1, but as soon as they scored it was a no-brainer to change tack. Bit of a f*ck up.

Granted, I'm only basing that on yesterday with Chris Martin and yesterday without.  In that case, starting him was the right decision.  We could say we could've played 4-2-3-1 with a press, but do you think that would have worked with the listless b*****ds we had last night?

And Anya was a good sub to make, but it baffles me that they decided to go ahead with it once they'd scored.  Did the 4th not let them change their mind or something?  Just didn't make any sense.  I've never really been one to complain bitterly about substitutions - apart from how late he often leaves it - but that one was inexcusable.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Thats easy. You could have imagined a scenario where we actually turned up for the second half but still got shafted.

I don't think i want to bring a child into a world this cruel. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I know what you mean mate. The last thing Scotland needs is you and your shite genetics bringing another short arse in to ruin the summers of the future.

Thats a bit harsh, I am rather tender today and could do without these sort of comments. The last time i was this gutted about a football match was 10 years ago against Italy.

The damage was done long before tonight. We got four wins and two draws from our last six games and a 2-2 draw away in Slovenia isn't a bad result in isolation. We were the only team to score away in Slovenia and did it twice, against the Atletico Madrid keeper who has today been nominated for the ballon d'or.

Lithuania at home and the two subsequent 3-0 defeats are what cost us. We gave ourselves far too much to do.

Agree with the call that Malta aside the other teams in our group looked better on the ball. In both games there the opposition, whilst admittedly not for the whole 90, often had periods of short sharp passing, one and two touch moves that moved the ball across the pitch quickly and each player knew where to be.

We just tried to find Bannan or Phillips, maybe an overlap or lump it up top to CM.

The damage was done long before tonight. We got four wins and two draws from our last six games and a 2-2 draw away in Slovenia isn't a bad result in isolation. We were the only team to score away in Slovenia and did it twice, against the Atletico Madrid keeper who has today been nominated for the ballon d'or.

Lithuania at home and the two subsequent 3-0 defeats are what cost us. We gave ourselves far too much to do.

Absolutely correct.

Strachan’s comments post match are just ridiculous and very awkward. I’ve never thought he was a good fit.

The bottom line is he should have got us to the Euros. Ireland are no where as good as they were. We took 4 points from 6 from them and yet we still lost out to them in qualification.

Georgia, Lithuania are teams a good manager will take full points from home and away. Ireland did it, and Slovenia and Slovakia did it this time.

Strachan for me is an arrogant, stubborn man and the excuses he makes show his weak character. I’m sorry but Slovenia where the better team tonight and playing 2 up front was a wrong move. We lost the midfield fight on kick off. Poor stuff from Strachan.

He has to go and time to get a manager who believes in the players and loves the country whole heartedly. Those comments from Strachan are disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Agree with the call that Malta aside the other teams in our group looked better on the ball. In both games there the opposition, whilst admittedly not for the whole 90, often had periods of short sharp passing, one and two touch moves that moved the ball across the pitch quickly and each player knew where to be.

We just tried to find Bannan or Phillips, maybe an overlap or lump it up top to CM.

Give Malta time, they'll fix that...

3 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Absolutely correct.

Strachan’s comments post match are just ridiculous and very awkward. I’ve never thought he was a good fit.

The bottom line is he should have got us to the Euros. Ireland are no where as good as they were. We took 4 points from 6 from them and yet we still lost out to them in qualification.

Georgia, Lithuania are teams a good manager will take full points from home and away. Ireland did it, and Slovenia and Slovakia did it this time.

Strachan for me is an arrogant, stubborn man and the excuses he makes show his weak character. I’m sorry but Slovenia where the better team tonight and playing 2 up front was a wrong move. We lost the midfield fight on kick off. Poor stuff from Strachan.

He has to go and time to get a manager who believes in the players and loves the country whole heartedly. Those comments from Strachan are disappointing.

For me it wasn't the 2 up top that was the problem, it was playing 2 up top with not much grit or guile behind, you only need one word to describe our last 2 midfields, WEAK.

26 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Absolutely correct.

I just looked up our record against the bottom two seeds in all the campaigns since we last qualified.

Out of 10 qualification campaigns we have taken 12 points from the bottom two seeds just once (2002 quals).

If we had taken maximum points against the bottom two sides in each campaign we would have:

Qualified automatically twice: in 2004 (ahead of Germany) and 2008 (ahead of France).

Made the play-offs 5 more times: in 2006 (ahead of Norway), 2010 (ahead of Norway), 2014 (ahead of Croatia), 2016 (ahead of Ireland) and 2018 (ahead of Slovakia).

In 2000 we would still have finished 2nd and reach the play-offs and in 2012 we would have missed out on head-to-head. In 2002 we got maximum points but still finished 3rd.

The bottom line is that we fail to beat the minnows, particularly the 2nd bottom seeds. If we'd managed to do this over the past 20 years we'd have been to two tournaments and would have been a play-off win away from five more. 

I just looked up our record against the bottom two seeds in all the campaigns since we last qualified.
Out of 10 qualification campaigns we have taken 12 points from the bottom two seeds just once (2002 quals).

If we had taken maximum points against the bottom two sides in each campaign we would have:
Qualified automatically twice: in 2004 (ahead of Germany) and 2008 (ahead of France).
Made the play-offs 5 more times: in 2006 (ahead of Norway), 2010 (ahead of Norway), 2014 (ahead of Croatia), 2016 (ahead of Ireland) and 2018 (ahead of Slovakia).
In 2000 we would still have finished 2nd and reach the play-offs and in 2012 we would have missed out on head-to-head. In 2002 we got maximum points but still finished 3rd.

The bottom line is that we fail to beat the minnows, particularly the 2nd bottom seeds. If we'd managed to do this over the past 20 years we'd have been to two tournaments and would have been a play-off win away from five more. 

That's cheered me right up, cheers mate

Archived