Slovenia Vs Scotland - Official Match Thread

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do think our traditional writing off the fixture against the top seed anything else a bonus is an ongoing issue. England were terrible and one of the worst top seeds we have had in recent times

Have to agree with this. The most overrated team we played managed by the English WGS.

Strachan [emoji38]
Reduced to blaming genetics, saying Scots are the shortest in Europe after Spain. Yes, that's right: Spain. World and twice European champions within the last decade. 
Even the excuses can't stand up to scrutiny. f**k off, Gordon. 

The irony of a wee c**t who was a footballing genius complaining about his players' size will be lost on some.

A brutal watch, second half especially. I'm really unsure what Strachan sees in McArthur and Phillips, they've been terrible anytime I've seen them.

Oh well, there's always the Euros in 2020

McArthur is a baffling selection - shouldn't be anywhere near the squad - hasn't played a decent season for at least 3 years.

Eugenics. I've heard it all now.

Next he will be blaming the alignment of Saturn.

Play to your strengths. Spain for example.

Iceland pish all over SFA arguments, and Strachan seems to provide many excuses and not too many answers.

Makes me depressed that the blazers thought Lars Lagerbeck was not up to the job.

We were absolute vomit. Total pish. I'm seething, head's gone, verge of tears etc etc. Although not really, there was a depressing inevitability about this result.  More annoyed at myself than anything, despite years of Scotland fucking it up at the last hurdle and repeatedly telling myself not to get my hopes up I still thought this time might be different.

We weren't even unlucky like we we often are - just shite. That's what makes it hard to take.

The players are the issue though - too many benched EPL and Championship players picked ahead of form SPFL players.

Been the same issue since Wee Chesney took the job.

Don’t think the players being selected are necessarily the problem. In truth, in an ideal scenario it’d be Celtic players plus English Premier League players making up the bulk of the starting XI.

There really aren’t too many Premiership players who have been completely overlooked.

The next manager is going to pick largely the same group, minus the half dozen or do who retire.

And they’ll still have no centre halves or right backs.

We might be unbeaten in 2017 but its a pointless fact when you consider the campaign as a whole.

Strachan is a very stubborn man and is loyal to players who have not performed. This shows at the start of the campaign when he continued with the players who have let him down in the past. Note when he actually freshened it up and started playing the likes of griffiths and armstrong we started playing well and winning.

The last two games have been poor and what do you notice? He is back to the old players like fletcher and morrison. Granted injuries kinda forced his hand but everything was so pedestrian and a late goal against slovakia masked a poor performance.

Do i want him to go? I dont really know. Im not convinced he will offer anything different and i think he is too stubborn to try something new. There are probably younger players out there that can have an impact like armstrong has done. Im just not convinced strachan would do that.

That said, the names being mentioned dont fill me with excitement either.

Next guy in still has f**k all centre halves. Until we, as a country, actively work on improving the quality of the players coming through at ALL our clubs, improve coaching and standards on the field, we'll stay where we are.

12 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Brown was 'retired' until the England game at Wembley, so he was out of the picture; Armstrong didn't really hit form until about November or December of last season; Griffiths was largely being kept out of the Celtic team by Dembélé until the latter got injured, although, in hindsight, he might still have been the best available option.

Strachan is tactically weak and I think Scotland would benefit from new management, but I'm not sure those are the best examples to support your argument. 

i know brown was retired , i am not using that as a way to bash strachan but when you compare the teams that beat slovenia and drew with england to the teams that played at the start of the campaign its night and day

Listening to his after match presser he was moaning about being too wee again, and tried to pick taller players to combat it. That alone is mind numbing considering we went with youth and pace to get us back into contention only for him to completely shite it when it mattered. Chris Martin is never a player who should start for us especially away from home, he's been much better coming of the bench at home when we need a goal and are pressing.

i think the last 4/5 campaign i've said i'm not going to bother getting annoyed or upset about but everytime i end up a ragin lunatic having to watch that type of failure.

the most annoying thing about this time is we done so well to come back into it but you just knew that result against lithuania would haunt us

28 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Listening to his after match presser he was moaning about being too wee again, and tried to pick taller players to combat it. That alone is mind numbing considering we went with youth and pace to get us back into contention only for him to completely shite it when it mattered. Chris Martin is never a player who should start for us especially away from home, he's been much better coming of the bench at home when we need a goal and are pressing.

And yet it all went downhill from around the time he decided to bring him off.  After starting off being pretty useless, he's found his way in the side.  It's no coincidence we looked utterly bereft going forward when you take away the focal point that he is.  I expect had he not started, the rot would have set in far earlier with Griffiths being completely isolated.

A half decent team sees that match out at 0-1 or even scores a 2nd as Slovenia were honking up until they got the 1st .Craig Gordon, just like with Kane's goal at hampden stood watching whilst the boy headed it in from 3 yards out. Surely he's got to come a punch or catch that. Their second goal is stuff you would see down the local park on a Saturday morning.

Archived