Slovenia Vs Scotland - Official Match Thread

Gordopolis

Can't stand the "who gave us the right to expect qualification" pish every two years. It is true that with our general standing in world football, we can't realistically expect to qualify every time. Hibs didn't have the right to win the Scottish Cup in any given year but there's a reason that people were within their right to take the piss when we didn't do it for 114 years. Likewise, after two decades of f**k all, with campaigns botched against Moldova, Belarus, Lithuania, Macedonia and Georgia, I can't really be arsed patting anyone on the back for coming third and having a nice wee run of form.

Edit: Oops, didn't read to the end of the thread before posting this and now see other folk posting the same thing. As you were.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't stand the "who gave us the right to expect qualification" pish every two years. It is true that with our general standing in world football, we can't realistically expect to qualify every time. Hibs didn't have the right to win the Scottish Cup in any given year but there's a reason that people were within their right to take the piss when we didn't do it for 114 years. Likewise, after two decades of f**k all, with campaigns botched against Moldova, Belarus, Lithuania, Macedonia and Georgia, I can't really be arsed patting anyone on the back for coming third and having a nice wee run of form.
Edit: Oops, didn't read to the end of the thread before posting this and now see other folk posting the same thing. As you were.

Indeed wales ni and Iceland don't take such a passive view and wales had to set about improving from being bottom seeds. We are continually seeded 3rd or 4th due to tolerating incompetent mgrs. The idea that we should look to improve seems an alien concept to some. No one will claim that we have world class players but ni n Iceland certainly dont either.

Darren Fletcher, as a sitting midfielder has a large amount of game intelligence to recommend him. The amount of world class manager's who have recognised this cannot be wrong. It is just a shame that his predecessor cannot build a team in his own image around him. LG take a bow mate, I am your worst critic but that was a great performance. You don't deserve to be saddled to those loonies.

He lost his man for the equaliser, and bungled a great chance over the bar at 1-1. He's been extremely average for Scotland.

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Nah, bollocks. The rest of them just looked like they were doing a pattery disappointed look cos they felt sorry for themselves. Strachan as well.

And sorry - Leigh!

For all the many faults and deficiences our players have, not caring isn`t one of them.

3 hours ago, Menzel said:

Some absolute roaster on my pal's Facebook just posted this:

I just want to use the opportunity to remind everyone that rugby is absolutely shite, and their fans are dominated with arseholes like this. 

As someone that goes to every home game of the Scotland rugby team allow me to remind you that we are winning big games now. You guys don't.

Plus, we don't run around with pink strips on *snigger*.

Oh, I'm not a 'no voting Tory' btw :D

As someone that goes to every home game of the Scotland rugby team allow me to remind you that we are winning big games now. You guys don't.
Plus, we don't run around with pink strips on *snigger*.
Oh, I'm not a 'no voting Tory' btw [emoji3]

Eh...go f**k yourself. Thank you.

When you need to win to guarantee a place in the play-offs, and that’s the performance we witness, the damage most certainly was done tonight. You can look back and pick different results which would’ve helped, but hindsight’s wonderful. We didn’t deserve to go through based on tonight alone.

Absolutely this. Losing a late goal against England and not beating Lithuania is the real reason we're not through - 4 pts against Slovenia we would have been happy with in normal circumstances.

I've said this a dozen times already, but I'm giving up football, it's s***e and the only thing you invest a small fortune in in the knowledge you'll probably be crushingly disappointed.

Until Morton next week anyway.

Morton aren't a football team . . . don't tell VT I said that . . .[emoji48]

As disappointing as the result is tonight, surely no-one would suggest the players are the issue here? They're not bad, there are far worse groups of players that have qualified and indeed, qualify regularly. The issue is the manager, unfortunately; set us up incorrectly from the off tonight and was very hesitant to change in the second half until it was too late. Gordon Strachan does deserve some credit for steadying the ship post-Levein, but it's readily apparent we're needing a new impetus from somewhere. Whether or not the SFA have the mettle or imagination to use the thousands of pounds they make off the TA mugs remains to be seen. I won't really be holding my breath.

The players are the issue though - too many benched EPL and Championship players picked ahead of form SPFL players.

Been the same issue since Wee Chesney took the job.

Archived