Slovenia Vs Scotland - Official Match Thread

Gordopolis

GS; "Aye, too many Oor Wullies 'n' Fat Boab's, an no enough Soapy Soutar's  'n' Joe an Hen Broons in ma squad"

He wants to call up Derek Soutar?! The f**k.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking about this for the last hour or so and will probably get hounded for this, but is it maybe not time that we actually conceded that Scotland are not good enough to be qualifying for tournaments anymore? I think too much of the problem is that everyone thinks that it is our right to be at every tournament once a new qualifying campaign begins and then get on the back of the manager and players when we don't do it. Maybe it's time to look at the bigger picture and agree that we don't have the ability to beat the 'up and coming' nations and we shouldn't be over reacting when we don't get the result that we want. I mean, as much as I was disappointed with tonight's result, I kinda just shrugged my shoulders and was over it five minutes after full time as I was kinda expecting it to happen.

Maybe we should go into a campaign expecting to not qualify and then get behind the manager and players throughout the whole campaign. None of this booing players just because we think they aren't good enough. I think that's half the problem, the players and manager (no matter how good or bad they are) don't get enough support from the fans.

Guest DAVIDB69
Been thinking about this for the last hour or so and will probably get hounded for this, but is it maybe not time that we actually conceded that Scotland are not good enough to be qualifying for tournaments anymore? I think too much of the problem is that everyone thinks that it is our right to be at every tournament once a new qualifying campaign begins and then get on the back of the manager and players when we don't do it. Maybe it's time to look at the bigger picture and agree that we don't have the ability to beat the 'up and coming' nations and we shouldn't be over reacting when we don't get the result that we want. I mean, as much as I was disappointed with tonight's result, I kinda just shrugged my shoulders and was over it five minutes after full time as I was kinda expecting it to happen.
Maybe we should go into a campaign expecting to not qualify and then get behind the manager and players throughout the whole campaign. None of this booing players just because we think they aren't good enough. I think that's half the problem, the players and manager (no matter how good or bad they are) don't get enough support from the fans.

Agreed we are where are, we can maybe give a game to second seeds but not beat them, get the odd upset result but not beat them on a consistent basis.

Mainly because we don't have enough players , playing at a decent level

That combination has us a competitive third level team and that's where we are

Some absolute roaster on my pal's Facebook just posted this:

Great news for Scotland fans. We are ranked 6th in the World, and have beaten the two teams ranked above us last time of asking. We have a dynamic young coach who is internationally respected and sought after, and a young group of players with some able to legitimately lay claim to being the best in the world in their position.
So all great news........maybe you are just following the wrong sport?

I just want to use the opportunity to remind everyone that rugby is absolutely shite, and their fans are dominated with arseholes like this. 

Northern Ireland are fair full of world class players.....

Just now, DAVIDB69 said:

Has but that was years ago, he still gets games on the basis that he was on Manchester United's books and he gets sympathy caps cause he was ill.

He is finished his day has long since gone

My response wasn`t meant to state anything other than that it`s frankly nonsense for anyone to suggest a player who has played at the level Fletcher did hasn`t merited the caps he has had. Likewise your "sympathy caps " angle is not something I can give any credence to.

His best days are certainly behind him.  I find it hard to agree he`s finished and indeed I thought he was one of our better players over 2 tough games. I`d have no issue if he`s not picked by the current/next manager but he deserves all the caps and plaudits he has from an excellent career.

Ah, the 'are we good enough anyway' argument. Just like when we failed to make the playoffs for 2016 due to the points dropped by losing in Georgia, just like 2012 when, perish the thought, a draw with Lithuania cost us a playoff place, this is evidently nonsense.

We have players good enough to beat Lithuania, we failed to qualify because we failed to beat Lithuania, therefore the standard of player is evidently not the reason we failed to qualify.

A big clear out of players is needed and the national team manager (hopefully not Strachan) needs to start picking decent in form players who play regularly for their club and stop relying on the same few guys. The next manager definitely needs to not be an obstinate p***k who seemingly doesn't pick or play players due to some petty nonsense.

As I said, a load of players need to have played their last games for Scotland.

We've got a decent core that can hopefully be added to. Think of guys like McGregor, Griffiths, McGinn, Ritchie, Armstrong, Tierney, Cooper, Robertson, Cairney, Archer, Kingsley, Paterson, Fraser, McLean, Burke, Shinnie, Forrest, Brown and others I'm forgetting. We're not too far away IF we use the resources available to us.

Truth of the matter is we probably performed as well as expected in this group. In fact possibly a little bit better. 

To finish joint 2nd and only losing 2 Games - both away to top 2 seeds was no better than I would have expected. 

Slovenia have not conceded at home and we score 2 goals today. 

All that said I do think some players are / were past their sell by date. Strachan is obstinate and you feel he picks players based not on form. For that reason probably time for a change. 

22 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Agreed we are where are, we can maybe give a game to second seeds but not beat them, get the odd upset result but not beat them on a consistent basis.

Mainly because we don't have enough players , playing at a decent level

That combination has us a competitive third level team and that's where we are

what level are the icelandic players playing at?

Archived