Project Brave rumbles on..

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Kerala Blasters are better supported than Rangers. I'll have to remember that:thumsup2 name. 

Dimitar Berbatov's team after his dream of a move to Dens fell through. 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had a wee google it  turns out that Celtic had the 5th highest average attendance in Europe last season. Given how the club have used clever marketing to swell their attendance over the last 20 years I can see them enhancing and cementing their worldwide fanbase among the Irish diaspora.

The bears were a distant 21st, and I don't see what identity they could trade on which could be marketed in the same way to the world at large.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Having had a wee google it  turns out that Celtic had the 5th highest average attendance in Europe last season. 

They had less than Global Powerhouses West Ham and Benfica so I doubt that. 

Rangers had less than Koln and Bertha Berlin. 

Folk are utterly deluded about how big Celtic and Rangers can get. It's highly unlikely their fanbases will grow beyond what it is, as theyll never compete with English clubs for fans, and they've already got their quota of Scots/Irish. 

Having had a wee google it  turns out that Celtic had the 5th highest average attendance in Europe last season. Given how the club have used clever marketing to swell their attendance over the last 20 years I can see them enhancing and cementing their worldwide fanbase among the Irish diaspora.

A new EPL franchise in the Aveva stadium would be able to exploit that market better and what’s more would have it’s home city all to itself.

If we’re assuming that big leagues are going to be up for parachuting teams in from smaller markets then Celtic aren’t as big as Dublin FC and they don’t even exist.

That's a very good point. The yanks don't seem to care that much about history and location when it comes to their own NFL teams, so I imagine Dublin FC would have a significant TV following. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the best place but it's one of many where reserve league has been discussed.

We are preparing to treat it 'much the same as the old u20s'. Our squad is likely to be largely u18.

League with be made up of 17 or 18 teams(presumably 12 premiership, Ross county, Patrick, dunfermline, Dundee united, not sure about the other teams, falkirk have cut their youth system and I can't think of another obvious candidate)

Only 1 round of games + possibly small cup(looking at 22 games so probably some form of 'league cup' games to be played on Monday and Tuesday, default 2pm on Monday(which is disappointing)

In other news fife academy is seemingly having a little difficult, probably from the fantastically thought out ideas to cut funding to most academy's and with rovers,cowden and east fife not looking to be able to spend much on it, it would appear to be suggested our role in running it will increase, moving closer to a dafc academy.

St Johnstone the first club in the top flight to stick two fingers up to "Project Brave". 

Confirmation the "Reserve League" will have no restrictions on age, and will only have minimum games played, with them all being on training pitches. 

This is the league that's replacing the Development League, and was changed to "help and encourage young players into the senior game", by barely playing them on a field with no fans. 

The futures bright. 

You could get a job in the tabloids with your sensationalism. @RandomGuy.

But your statement is right, this seems a step back from the Development League, not a leap into the future. There is talk about Reserve League Cup as well but I would expect Celtic and probably Rangers to opt out of that.

To recap on main points:

• Games on a Monday at 2:00pm.
  • One round of fixures, 16 games.
  • League deregulated, so no stipulation for matches to be played at "proper" grounds, i.e. games could go back to previous situation of being played at likes of University of Stirling.
  • No requirement to play a set number of senior/overage players.

Qatar 2022 here we come.

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

You could get a job in the tabloids with your sensationalism. @RandomGuy.

I do it better... 

Folk need to actually be aware of what's happening though, so if it gets folk reading about it then good. The whole thing is a huge backwards step. 

On 23/04/2018 at 18:14, velo army said:

Having had a wee google it  turns out that Celtic had the 5th highest average attendance in Europe last season.

I wonder how many they leapfrogged as a result of fabricating their attendances on a weekly basis.

Attendance measuring is essentially pointless these days when Scottish clubs are involved, because it seems that at least half the clubs in the top two divisions are at it.

Celtic and Rangers are big clubs, no doubt. Probably somewhere around the 20-30 range on a European scale, and then a few further down when you factor in the huge clubs in South America.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

I wonder how many they leapfrogged as a result of fabricating their attendances on a weekly basis.

Its a completely bullshit "fact". Barca, Man U, Dortmund, Real and Bayern all average over 75,000, so I'm not sure where Celtic fit into the top five.

Attendance is not a completely accurate gauge anyway. Apparently in 2016/17 West Ham were the eighth best supported team in Europe going by average attendance.  In reality they are not even in the Traditional top eight supported teams in England. They're just going through a new stadium bounce.

Schalke average 60000, but nobody would put them in amongst the top 10 biggest clubs in Europe.

Then there's Chelsea, not a hugely supported team either, yet the financial backing they enjoy puts them comfortably amongst the bigger clubs in Europe.

Regarding Celtic and Rangers, would they still get big crowds if they weren't winning every week? Would be interesting to see the effect on their crowds if they were mid-table in a European league, or the EPL after the initial novelty factor wore off.

History has shown that they are not the super loyal diehards the media like to portray them as when times have been a bit rougher:

Celtic

IMG_0681.PNG

Rangers

IMG_0682.PNG

54 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Regarding Celtic and Rangers, would they still get big crowds if they weren't winning every week? Would be interesting to see the effect on their crowds if they were mid-table in a European league, or the EPL after the initial novelty factor wore off.

History has shown that they are not the super loyal diehards the media like to portray them as when times have been a bit rougher:

Celtic

IMG_0681.PNG

Rangers

IMG_0682.PNG

Can't speak for them but despite finishing well down the league the Seb Coe fans have turned up faithfully in their droves this season, as they have done in previous seasons.

These last six years have been rough yet....

The Reserve League, like the Development League, will be an utter waste of time and a half arsed competition at best.

Young players need to be out playing first team football, not rotting away in the reserves. Colts will never happen, so if we are serious about bridging the gap between 17s and first team football, a real revamp of the loan market to see more young players learning in the lower leagues would be far more beneficial and "brave".

As Jason Kerr said to Steve Brown, he learned way more in his lower league loans. That's the only way young players will get better. First team football at whatever level they are up to at the time.

Archived