Ayr United v Airdrieonians

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's too early to be saying this but is it possible that Findlay is moulding us into a half decent team? That's 3 reasonable  performances in a row.

I hope McGregor isn't too badly injured. He's become the main man in our defence.

Took us a while to get going, Airdrie scored with their first trip up the park and we woke up a bit. Missed a weird penalty, Crawford hits the inside of the post and it looked like it was going to be one of those days.

Airdrie had a decent spell of maybe 15min in the second half where we were on the back foot, They pass the ball well and with someone decent up front they could be a contender this year. 

McGuffie was poor again, never hid but gave the ball away too often, McDaid did very little also, Crawford was the main outlet most of the afternoon

Credit to McGuffie for trying to win the ball back when he loses it, but he loses it far too often, along with not being able to reguarly beat his man, wayward passes, shots over the bar, and getting pushed off the ball far too easily.

Was putting Geggan at right back when Boyle went off  really the only option. He was on fire at that point and wouldn't have put it past him getting a hat trick.

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Imagine taking Shankland off when we need a goal! No idea when he last made a decent substitution.

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Imagine taking Shankland off when we need a goal! No idea when he last made a decent substitution.

McCALL MUST STAY!!!

Why the f**k did shankland get taking that penalty?

Has he ever scored a penalty?

Surely giving it to Moff and getting that monkey off his back for the 100th goal would have made much more sense

Couldn't have been aggrieved if we'd lost that today...we were poor for large parts of the game

Disappointing game today, don't feel Airdrie really came to play much football trying to knock it over the top (which looked like they might have some joy with early on) or try score from a set piece, which obviously they did. Also the keeper time wasting before the first half was even finished was brutal.

I agree with some of the Airdrie fans that it was strange to give the penalty after the linesman flagged for what looked like an offside. But surely Moffat has to hit the penalty!

Think we played some decent stuff and when Geggan scored two quick goals thought we would go on to win comfortably. There does seem to be an element of being unlucky with chances not going for us but it is abit worrying that we can't go on to win games when we have ample opportunities to do so. Today was the first time I've seen Shankland in the flesh and feel he and Moffat are similar in the way they play with wee flicks and quick movement. Think they could be a dangerous partnership going forward for the rest of the season if Shankland stays on. Also think Rose had a good game with Furtardo not getting much change from him.

Took us a while to get going, Airdrie scored with their first trip up the park and we woke up a bit. Missed a weird penalty, Crawford hits the inside of the post and it looked like it was going to be one of those days.
Airdrie had a decent spell of maybe 15min in the second half where we were on the back foot, They pass the ball well and with someone decent up front they could be a contender this year. 
McGuffie was poor again, never hid but gave the ball away too often, McDaid did very little also, Crawford was the main outlet most of the afternoon

Pretty much this.

We dominated the game and actually created quite a lot of chances into the bargain. But one of those days I guess.

I was pretty pissed off with the shankland substitution. Wins are surely crucial this year - it's not like it's a good point. Go for it - and if we lose, we lose.

That was my first game of the season and generally I thought we played well. The link up between shanks and moff was excellent, and I thought we looked OK at the back. But mcdaid and mcguffie achieved the sum total of f**k all. And the keeper again makes a costly mistake, leading to another set piece goal against us.

Relatively entertaining, but ultimately frustrating game of football.

Why the f**k did shankland get taking that penalty?
Has he ever scored a penalty?
Surely giving it to Moff and getting that monkey off his back for the 100th goal would have made much more sense
Couldn't have been aggrieved if we'd lost that today...we were poor for large parts of the game

Dunno about scoring but he missed one against us last season when he was with St Mirren.

I was sure Moff would take it and then at least everyone would stop going out there way to set it up for him.

Firstly some credit to Airdrie who competed well considering lots of off the field problems. Struggling to think of many teams competing at the top of a league and scoring for fun who can leak goals on a weekly basis from minimal pressure. Last season we were part time and competing against much better sides yet still think we managed to keep more clean sheets. Once again the problems arise when the ball lands in the grey area between defence and goalkeeper. Whilst Hart has some decent points and potential his lack of confidence coming off the line and commanding the box continues to cost us.  Not saying we should get rid of him it but at the very least we need another goalie who can provide competition and take his place if performances are poor. Questions need asked of McCall for not sorting this problem earlier and absolutely no chance of keeping up with Raith until the basics happen. As mentioned before thought the subs were bizarre today. Airdrie had some bite in midfield and whilst Geggan was winning the battle Gilmour was lost when he came on. Hopefully Forrest can stake a claim as both McGuffie and McDaid weren’t great either. Ferguson looks a good defender but his on the ball play is way below this level. 

Thought we just about deserved a point because we did not collapse after the two quick goals. Ayr did play good football but as some Ayr fans say, they do line up to let Moffat score. although they played neat attractive football it did lack that killer touch. Airdrie competed for almost all of the game and if Conroy had half the effort of Cairns ( he has very little calm skill but he puts himself forward and recovered from a terrible mistake led to their 2nd goal),we would be happier. Going to 4-4-2 with Allan helped get us up the park and be a threat which created the equaliser. The penalty miss was crucial at that stage and no one could work out why Moffat was not offside as the Lino's flag showed-maybe an Airdrie foot on the ball passing it back> The highlights will surely show it and we can apolgise to the Ref if he was right in over ruling. The headphones presumably were working for him to do so, but it frustrated me that he did not even go to speak to the Lino. Ayr are not  a mile away from Raith but might lack that final touch. The seats in the main stand must have been built with the genetically challenged in mind, but are not as bad as Morton.

Archived