Line up face Slovenia and Predication

All in our own hands now - win - draw is not enough (unless Slovakia somehow f**k up vs Malta) - and we have a playoff spot.

Just hope Strachan is not too timid - but I'd take a 90+3 minute winner off Craig Gordon's backside if it happened.

ESPN have a nice summary of second place.

"Greece have played all the games that count towards the calculation, and with Gibraltar left to play at home are effectively second. They have set the low bar at 13 points with a +4 goal difference.

The second place team in the Portugal/Switzerland group and Italy are the only nations currently guaranteed a playoff place -- though it is impossible for Sweden to finish second in their group and be the worst runners-up.

The table of current second place teams is as follows (final game in parentheses):

Portugal: 18 points -- (h-Switzerland)
Q-Italy: 14 (+3) -- (a-Albania)
Sweden: 13 (+10) -- (a-Netherlands)
Denmark, 13 (+7) -- (h-Romania)
Northern Ireland, 13 (+5) -- (a-Norway)
Greece: 13 (+4) -- (completed)
Wales, 11 (+2) -- (h-Republic of Ireland)
Croatia: 11 (+2) -- (a-Ukraine)
Scotland: 11 (-1) -- (a-Slovenia)
NB: bottom teams in Groups A and B could change

While Scotland are currently bottom, they will not be runners-up in the group if they do not beat Slovenia (as Slovakia, who have completed on 12 points, play Malta). 

If all the current second-placed teams win their remaining games, Greece will miss out. One of Greece's best hopes could be the Group I match between Ukraine and Croatia -- if that game finishes as a draw, then the worst group runners-up will have 12 points. And the same goes for Wales vs. Ireland, with a draw the maximum points would be 12 and send Greece through.

If Wales and Croatia both draw, with Croatia scoring one more goal, then they are guaranteed to have identical records for the worst runners-up and would separated by Fairplay. At present Wales have -17 and Croatia -13 (essentially Wales have received four more yellow cards to date). Thus, Wales would be out. Still level after Fairplay? The teams would draw lots. 

Denmark and Northern Ireland will only need a point from their final matches. Northern Ireland are most in danger if they lose away to Norway due to their goal difference. Denmark (and of course Sweden) effectively look safe.

These are the other teams that could yet finish second, and their current points tally:

Poland: 18 points
Switzerland: 21 
Iceland: 16*
France: 16 (+12)
Slovakia: 12 (+5)*
Serbia: 12 (+3)
Ukraine: 11 (+1)
Montenegro: 10 (+2)
Republic of Ireland: 10 (+1)
Netherlands: 10 (=)
Bosnia-Herzegovina: 8
*All games played that count toward second-place ranking; 

Bosnia have virtually no chance of making the playoffs even if they finish second."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring on Mcgregor in a game that could be make or break for Strachan? I can't see it happening.

Same here - he'll go with the old guard - McGregor might get on if there is 15 minutes left and it is still goalless - and even that is unlikely given Strachan's subs on Thursday night.

27 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Bring on Mcgregor in a game that could be make or break for Strachan? I can't see it happening.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Same here - he'll go with old guard - McGregor might get on if there is 15 minutes left and it is still goalless - and even that is unlikely given his sub's on Thursday night.

Yes you maybe right we could end up with all 3 strikers on the park looking for a goal by the end but i'm hoping the Slovenian's have chucked it by then with a Griffiths brace .

Am I missing something? Fletcher is in that team.

If that's the line-up is expect Bannan to be on the left, allowing Robertson to get forward outside of him, Phillips on the right to give natural width there and Griffiths playing off Martin. Can't see Griffiths and Tierney both playing on the right.

I’m clearly too pished for this :lol:
For what it’s worth, it got many Tartan Army yes voters going mental at me on Twitter.

Martin up front, plus Griffiths, will really help Robertson be more effective. Robertson is a huge asset for us if used properly, but when you play with one midget up front you basically negate his attacking threat because there's no-one in the box to get on the end of his crosses. I was getting quite frustrated on Thursday watching him constantly whip crosses in to no-one, having an extra body in there, particularly a physical one, will really help.

38 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Martin up front, plus Griffiths, will really help Robertson be more effective. Robertson is a huge asset for us if used properly, but when you play with one midget up front you basically negate his attacking threat because there's no-one in the box to get on the end of his crosses. I was getting quite frustrated on Thursday watching him constantly whip crosses in to no-one, having an extra body in there, particularly a physical one, will really help.

If this is true and we get out numbered in the middle of the park i will be raging with Strachan.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That would be a 4-4-2

Not necessarily, though clearly Bannan and Phillips could play wide of a 4.

Even if that is the team I can`t see Martin and Griffiths both playing through the middle. Griffiths would be out right to balance Phillips out left I would think. Strachan`s interview mentioned Slovenia`s height and power a number of times so I guess Martin effectively replacing Forrest and McArthur for Morrison would make sense from that perspective.

Guest bernardblack

Martin has won cheap free kicks that have led to goals, scored and forced a centre half into an OG.....all as an impact sub. Don't see the need for him to start tbh

Kinda out of character for Strachan to take such a step but maybe he wants to hark back to Croatia games. He may also be hoping Slovenia are a bit deflated n will sit deep. Am defo deep in the fear. Its when we start to hope that we get kicked in the baws...

Martin has won cheap free kicks that have led to goals, scored and forced a centre half into an OG.....all as an impact sub. Don't see the need for him to start tbh

Yeah kinda agree. Give him tired defenders to bully around. Obviously we need to be assertive but it would be a bit if a gamble to sacrifice a midfielder away from home. Guess we will soon see

18 hours ago, Hursty said:

Slovenia haven't conceded a home goal yet. They don't score many either. I really hate being confident but I'm going 1-0 Scotland.  Almost certain it will be under 2.5 goals.

they have nothing to play for so hopefully tehy won't be as disciplined as they have been

Random question - I'm on holiday 30 mins from Benidorm and don't know the area at all - any recommendations for somewhere to watch the game in Benidorm itself? 

I’ve watched football in the Shamrock before. (It’s a Celtic pub, obviously)

It was fine but it was years ago so no idea if it’s even still open. Worth a look.

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm predicting a 1-0 defeat.

We start ok, but lose a goal and it's too tall an order after that.  Reminiscent of the 1-0 defeat at home against Belarus under Smith.

square-1464677395-richard-wilson-as-vict

Archived