Can Slovenia qualify???

Marinello

Unless someone tells me otherwise it looks to me that Slovenia to qualify will need an alignment of the stars, 10 snookers and count upon the return of the messiah!!!

1. They would have to beat a highly motivated Scotland.

2. Slovakia not to win at home against the minnows of Malta [ having already won away 3-1].

3. Can only achieve a maximum of 17 points . Cant see this being enough to avoid being worst 2nd place team.  Current lowest placed 2nd team Bosnia will better this  next week  with a win against Estonia---------giving them same points but much better gd. And that`s without giving them anything from tonight`s game against Belguim.

Add to this that they must be demoralised after losing a late goal against England and they are without 2 of the first picks due to suspension. 

Also for all that they dont concede much they don`t score a lot either . Plus lets not forget we won in Slovenia 3-0 in recent times.

Now I know we can factor in the old sayings of personal/professional pride, no pressure on them, opportunities for others to stake a claim etc  but all of the above factors have got to weigh heavily on the minds of the Slovenes tomorrow.  I just don`t see them being up for it.

I see a comfortable 2-0 victory for us.

4 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Unless someone tells me otherwise it looks to me that Slovenia to qualify will need an alignment of the stars, 10 snookers and count upon the return of the messiah!!!

1. They would have to beat a highly motivated Scotland.

2. Slovakia not to win at home against the minnows of Malta [ having already won away 3-1].

3. Can only achieve a maximum of 17 points . Cant see this being enough to avoid being worst 2nd place team.  Current lowest placed 2nd team Bosnia will better this  next week  with a win against Estonia---------giving them same points but much better gd. And that`s without giving them anything from tonight`s game against Belguim.

Add to this that they must be demoralised after losing a late goal against England and they are without 2 of the first picks due to suspension. 

Also for all that they dont concede much they don`t score a lot either . Plus lets not forget we won in Slovenia 3-0 in recent times.

Now I know we can factor in the old sayings of personal/professional pride, no pressure on them, opportunities for others to stake a claim etc  but all of the above factors have got to weigh heavily on the minds of the Slovenes tomorrow.  I just don`t see them being up for it.

I see a comfortable 2-0 victory for us.

Oh, no! :o

I’m more worried about ‘Can Bosnia best Belgium?’ at the moment.

I’m developing a serious case of the fear and I wasn’t even drinking last night.

I genuinely think I’d rather we f**k up by ourselves tomorrow than finish second and end up the 9th placed runner up.

That would finish me off!

Slovenia have played England twice at home in the last two Qualifiers. Lost 3-2 to a very late Rooney goal first time, drew 0-0 this time. They also drew 1-1 with Slovakia and beat a Switzerland team who have cruised these Qualifiers.

We're going to struggle to beat them.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Slovenia have played England twice at home in the last two Qualifiers. Lost 3-2 to a very late Rooney goal first time, drew 0-0 this time. They also drew 1-1 with Slovakia and beat a Switzerland team who have cruised these Qualifiers.

Indeed.

They're no mugs and certainly won't be the easy push over as so many seem to be expecting them to be.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Agree with this. It's going to be really difficult to break them down in Slovenia, it took us a whole game at Hampden! So I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

2 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I take it the results against Malta count towards total? Know in previous campaigns when there have been uneven groups the points haven't counted.

If I'm talking shite please feel free to point that out

Results against Malta count in the rankings within the group.

Results against Malta (bottom team in the group) don`t count when ranking against the 2nd place teams from the other groups.

Results against Malta count in the rankings within the group.
Results against Malta (bottom team in the group) don`t count when ranking against the 2nd place teams from the other groups.

Ok cheers.

Any idea why they don't count for ranking against the 2nd place teams when all the groups have an even amount of teams?

Just now, dundeefc1783 said:

Ok cheers.

Any idea why they don't count for ranking against the 2nd place teams when all the groups have an even amount of teams?

It`s to do with Kosovo and Gibralter being late additions,

From Wiki

At the time of the draw, groups H and I had one team fewer than the other groups so it was announced that matches against the last-placed team in each of the six-team groups would not be included in the ranking of the second-placed teams. UEFA has confirmed that, even after the admission of Kosovo and Gibraltar and with all groups now containing six teams, this regulation has not changed and matches against the sixth-placed team in all groups will still be discarded.[25] As a result, only eight matches played by each team will be counted in the second-placed table.

The eight best runners-up are determined by the following parameters, in this order:[26]

1. Highest number of points
  2. Goal difference
  3. Highest number of goals scored
  4. Fair play points
  5. Drawing of lots

Ok cheers.

At the time of the draw, groups H and I had one team fewer than the other groups so it was announced that matches against the last-placed team in each of the six-team groups would not be included in the ranking of the second-placed teams. UEFA has confirmed that, even after the admission of Kosovo and Gibraltar and with all groups now containing six teams, this regulation has not changed and matches against the sixth-placed team in all groups will still be discarded.[25] As a result, only eight matches played by each team will be counted in the second-placed table.

In practice it'll make little difference, as hardly anyone in contention has dropped points v someone able to end bottom.

Just the French (who can win their group anyway if they beat Belarus); and the Poles (who can win their group anyway if they don't lose to Montenegro or if Denmark don't beat Romania). Even then the Poles won't be troubled in the runners-up ranking owing to their otherwise high points total.

Greece (v Gibraltar), Iceland (v Kosovo) and Slovakia (v Malta) play the bottom team on the last day.

Archived